Image upload issue to a Post with new camera

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Early today I was creating a new post. When uploading an image from my new camera (Canon SX730HS), I only got a figure looking like a SD card and IMG #. I didn't get a small picture with IMG #, with choice of thumbnail or full image and the word 'insert' as a did before. Previously hitting full image, the picture would appear on the post. If I added a second image using the new camera, I did get the thumbnail/full image option without 'insert', but hitting full image did not work. I downloaded an image from by old camera and that work as it did before.

I also maintain a blog, and downloaded a image from the new camera worked fine, as did downloading to an email.

Can anyone make sense of this? Am I doing something incorrectly.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Are you uploading the full size original image or did you re-size it to something smaller? How big is the file and what is the resolution of the image? Also, what kind of file is it? I think it must be one of the traditional formats like .jpg, .png, .bmp or .tif. Perhaps you were trying to upload a "raw" format image?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is not a good idea to upload a full size photo to this site. Those who have a slower connection or use a phone will not be able to view it in a timely manner. You should always resize your photos smaller before uploading. It may be that the file size exceeds the limits of the site software.

I will try uploading some of my photos in full size and see if that may be true.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. I did a 7.7MB upload and I was NOT presented with the file size option. I made the file smaller to 1.7MB and the file size option was available. You are exceeding the size limit and must size them smaller before uploading. Your new camera obviously is much better and the file sizes are larger.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a good idea to not make your files any larger than 900 x 675 with 800 x 600 being the best if you want them to fit properly in the page. I would highly suggest that all members keep your file size smaller. And if you want to have a photo or so larger just upload one or two but don't have them display in the page. Have then show as an icon for the viewer to click on.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I need to digest all this, about file size and resizing photos. I'm not a computer/camera wizard. I was just trying to download a picture of a guy holding a fish as I did with the older camera. This camera is Canon's update of their travel zoom series released in June.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
OK, I check some photos from my new camera. the dimensions were fairly consistent to 5184X3888 and size from 5 to 6MB. I saw one of 6.34MB. Photos from my older camera had size of 2 to 4MB. This new camera as a 40X optical zoom which is equivalent to 24-960 in 35mm terms. That might be the cause.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The size of your lens does not determine the data size of the image. All digital camera's have a setting that you can change, that sets image quality, ie size, whether they are jpeg, tiff or Canon's raw data format; or you can use photo editing software to reduce the data size. It is all in your camera's manual;

Image Recording Format

Superfine / Fine

JPEG Compression Mode

Still Image: Exif 2.3 JPEG

Number of Recording Pixels

Still Images:
  1. 16:9 - Large: 5184 x 2912; Medium 1: 3648 x 2048; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 640 x 360
  2. 3:2 - Large: 5184 x 3456; Medium 1: 3648 x 2432; Medium 2: 2048 x 1368; Small: 640 x 424
  3. 4:3 - Large: 5184 x 3888; Medium 1: 3648 x 2736; Medium 2: 2048 x 1536; Medium: 2592 x 1944; Small: 640 x 480
  4. 1:1 - Large: 3888 x 3888; Medium 1: 2736 x 2736; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
46er: Thanks for your input and the time you spent gathering this information. It was very helpful. The pictures I took with this new camera were taken in Canada while on a fishing trip. At this time, I don't want to change image quantity settings on the camera. All along, I plan to use my older camera for my NJ pine barren photography, since I'm fairly rough with a camera while in the pines. That's the reason I purchased a new one. I'll give a look into photo editing software.

Reactions: bobpbx

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Rooftree, this is the Canon PowerShot forum on Digital Photography Review:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1010

Post what are trying to do and they will almost certainly tell you where and how to upload your files to a specific program, and how to export the appropriate size file for this forum. You are looking to export to the pixel size Teegate said, either "800 to 900 pixels" on the "long" side, and how to determine the quality of the jpeg, or image file. Typically you want to export at anywhere from "30% to 60% quality". Less than 30% and the image looks worse, more than say 60%, and the image will be too big. Jpeg file size is determined by the quality of the Jpeg and the pixel size of the image.

You probably do not want to change the quality of the image that you take with the PowerShot, but once it is uploaded, or downloaded to your computer, you then export a "resized Jpeg image" from whatever program Canon uses, or Photos on Mac or a different app on Windows.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Whatever you do make sure you make a copy of all of the photos you are changing the size of and do not alter the original photos. If you change the size of the originals they will be forever small.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Looks like everyone has covered this pretty well, but clearly you are trying to upload photos that are WAY too large. I just looked at one of your old threads, and although you were able to upload these pictures, they are also WAY too large (4000 x 3000 pixels): https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tootling-among-the-pines.11925/

I just got a really fast internet connection here, so that thread opens fine for me. But for 11 years all I could get was a very slow DSL connection at my home in the pines. I could not even view that thread before, it just stalled forever trying to load the images. So you need to find some software that allows you to re-size the images.

There is a lot of software, either free or inexpensive, that can do this. Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Thank you all, 46er, Jon, Teegate, and Boyd for the time you spent on my issue, and the value info you supplied. I'm not a techy person, but see what I can do relating to photo editing software. I use a PC with Windows 10's Photo Gallery. Boyd had stated that in my earlier post using my older camera, Canon SX260HS released in 2012, pictures were upload at 4000X3000 pixels considered large even though it worked. It seems to me that most cameras on the market today, photos need to be down sized. Thanks again. One thing for sure, this issue won't keep me from going into the pines.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This information is correct using my Mac Computer running Windows Software. It may be slightly different on yours.

The program called "Paint" in your PC computer allows you to resize photos. So open Paint which should be in the Accessories folder and click on the icon to the left of the "Home" button. Go to "Open" and choose your photo. (Remember, be careful using the original photo or you may permanently alter it's size.) Once your photo is open click on the "Image" icon and choose "Resize." Click on "Pixels" and your photo size should be shown. Change the horizontal to maximum of 900 and the program will automatically change the vertical size to match. Save the photo and your are ready to upload. AGAIN, remember to do this on a copy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am seriously concerned that when I alter my photo sizes I will forget and alter the original. So I always leave my photos in the camera without deleting them for weeks on end. Then I delete them. You may want to get in a habit of either doing that or putting two copies of your photos on your computer for a few weeks or on a separate drive. This may seem odd to some but it has saved me many times from loosing an irreplaceable photo.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
When I edit or resize a photo, I always save it with a different (descriptive) name. On the Mac, "Time Machine" is a good safety net if you make a mistake though, it is constantly backing me up to a Time Capsule. On Windows, you could use backup software such as Acronis to do something similar.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Teegate, thanks. I will give this a shot. For whatever reason, I do not delete pictures from my camera cards. When filled, I just go out and buy a new one.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I've been working with Guy on my photo resizing issue. Per his guidance in his post above, I went into Windows Paint to resize a photo from 5184X3888 to 800X600. It worked well as an attachment to a PM to Guy, but uploading the photo to this thread, I'm getting a scroll bar. Doesn't look like a 800X600 photo. edit. When I posted it, the scroll bar was dropped. Am I good? It looks large to me. Any comments.
IMG_0149.JPG

Last edited: