Impassible roads

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gibby,

If you have problems and really want them up send them to me. I will get them up in your post. My email is on my photo's

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
harrisville3.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It was a glitch on my end and my lack of posting abilities. Thanks, Guy, I stumbled through it. Is this color a dark phase? No, I didn't take the rattler either and I don't mean to hijack the thread.:) Your welcome dragoncjo.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
We visited the bridge by Batona Camp and here is a photo of the sand that washed into the cedar swamp.

IMG_8154.JPG

We also checked out the washout at Hampton Park. Ed, I was easily able to cross the crushed pipe on the road in from Carranza. I just went slow and never hit bottom.

IMG_8156.JPG

While there I ran into Gibby and we had a short but interesting conversation I hope to meet up again one day.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Driving around the PB roads in the 60's through 90's I met up with plenty of sand traps but I don't recall encountering totally impassable collapsed roads as above. I guess I just wasn't down there after hurricanes.

Here's another one at another place and time: road between Death Valley and Eureka Valley, CA down and and out. That's me standing there trying to devise a solution. I didn't.

Attachments

• DV to EV.jpg
    DV to EV.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 318

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, did you happen to see the clay pipes that were exposed along the side of the first puddle after you cross the bridge by the packing house foundation? The pipes were exposed along the edge that was next to the field, right below the grass line. This was up from the area were we chatted.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I did see the ones between where we met and the curve by the bridge. I opened my door so Jessica could see them from her side of the car. I was wondering if they were from the dwellings there or were they some sort of drainage for the road? I did not see the ones by the packing house but may stop in tomorrow and check them out. I have a busy day tomorrow out there and may not have time. I will photograph them this time if I get there.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yes I did see the ones between where we met and the curve by the bridge. I opened my door so Jessica could see them from her side of the car. I was wondering if they were from the dwellings there or were they some sort of drainage for the road? I did not see the ones by the packing house but may stop in tomorrow and check them out. I have a busy day tomorrow out there and may not have time. I will photograph them this time if I get there.

Guy

The pipes I was asking about are one and the same. I happened to glance at them when I was leaving and didn't think about what I saw until this evening.

Christie Post

Sep 13, 2011
Hello, this is a nice forum. I am from out of state and have been coming to the Pine Barrens to canoe about once a year for the last five years. Our trip is usually during the first two weeks in October.
We are trying to get enough information about road and river conditions after the hurricane to make a decision whether to cancel the trip this year. Several of us have to drive 7-8 hours from western PA. We normally allow for four days of paddling, ideally without repeating any section.

Can anyone provide updates on road access to set up car shuttles for these sections: Upper Batsto from Hampton Furnace to Quaker Bridge (does the washout mentioned above prohibit access from Atsion side?); Quaker Bridge to Batsto Village (I know there is a bridge washout near the Village... any timeline for repair?); and Mullica from Atsion to near Batsto Village, including any alternative takeouts upstream from Batsto Village. Also, any info about trees down in the rivers (more than usual)? If these rivers are "no can do", it would be disappointing, but better to find out now.

We have not paddled the Mullica above Atsion Lake, is it a good alternative? We tend to skip the Wading but Oswego is a favorite, if not drained for cranberry harvest (confirm?).

Thanks!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Can anyone provide updates on road access to set up car shuttles for these sections: Upper Batsto from Hampton Furnace to Quaker Bridge (does the washout mentioned above prohibit access from Atsion side?); Quaker Bridge to Batsto Village (I know there is a bridge washout near the Village... any timeline for repair?); and Mullica from Atsion to near Batsto Village, including any alternative takeouts upstream from Batsto Village. Also, any info about trees down in the rivers (more than usual)? If these rivers are "no can do", it would be disappointing, but better to find out now.

We have not paddled the Mullica above Atsion Lake, is it a good alternative? We tend to skip the Wading but Oswego is a favorite, if not drained for cranberry harvest (confirm?).

Thanks!

Yes, the washout prohibits access from the Atsion side. But, if the road from 206 to the washout is okay you can park on the right side of this photo, drag your means of transportaion across the stream, and walk the 100 feet to the river. Maybe someone here has been down that section and could tell us.

IMG_8156.JPG

Quaker Bridge Road was closed this past weekend so you can't get there from Atsion.

As for the washout at Batsto you can read post 2 and 3 here for more info.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/thr...-first-black-doctor-of-the-pine-barrens.7511/

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Quaker Bridge Road is open from 206 to the bridge, I think they just forgot to take down the sign after the Irene flood. If you enter where you would to go to the park office there is no sign, nor anywhere else. I drove to the bridge this past weekend and there is only one small issue. Just west of the bridge is a small washout where they launch canoes. I think it's too steep for a car but it was no issue for my jeep. It does not affect where you would park. There were others hiking and driving on QB Road.

The Mullica above Atsion lake is a nice paddle, more like the Batsto at Hampton Furnace. An easy 1 1/2 hour paddle if you put in at Goshen Pond.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74349426681711&lng=-74.75475311279297&z=14&type=m&gpx=

I have paddled it from Jackson Road and that is tight and there will be trees to contend with. That section is more suited to a small kayak. There is no portage at the end of Atsion Lake across 206.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.778001767454974&lng=-74.79921340942383&z=14&type=h&gpx=

There is a canoe launch on the SE corner of 206 and Atsion Lake, a nice place to put in. There were still cones up as a warning earlier this week, but the water has receded and once again I think they just forgot about them. By the time you get here they may be gone. I would just drive around them and decide for myself. Many of the roads I drive are far worse year round than these spots.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.739715866172965&lng=-74.72456216812134&z=16&type=h&gpx=
Ed

Reactions: dogg57

Christie Post

Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for the information. I appreciate any future updates as you hear things improve, as well. Sounds like our group should add the Mullica above Atsion L. to our list, as we love the upper Batsto. We are all using manueverable solo canoes, tight channels are a fun challenge!

To share what I've learned since posting: On Wednesday I phoned the Atsion office of Wharton State Forest. I was told, in short, that both the Batsto and Mullica rivers are designated "CLOSED" by the State Forest because they are still "too high", and because emergency vehicle access is not possible due to significant sand road damage (if a paddler should need to be rescued). I always assume I'm on my own "out there", but I guess the state has a liability concern if they can't rescue an ill, injured or stranded visitor. I didn't ask if they issue trespass citations/fines to violators of the closures.

I was told to check back weekly; the forest staff is in the woods every day evaluating and will reopen sections of the river to paddling as soon as access improves.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002