Independence Day

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I hereby raise a glass to our nation. To our both glorious and ghastly past and to our uncertain future, let us all appreciate and not take for granted the freedoms so many will never experience. Thanks to all Vets for your sacrifice.

On a lighter note:
These are a few random thoughts that go through my mind during the 4th of July Parade (Berlin Twp.) :
-Its strange to see 80s Camaros coming down the street being displayed as a classic car, I remember when that was a modern popular cool car.......

-Everybody is wearing the exact same Old Navy Holiday shirt......
- the Revolutionary War re-inactment dudes look like roadies for Lynard Skynard.....
-The Shop-Rite 18 wheeler is rollin' on down tossing out mini bags of chips. C'mon buddy, you got any hoagies on that truck bud?......

My favorite parts of the parade:
The Fire Trucks (several towns join in they go on forever)
Old Army Jeeps
The '53 Red and White Corvette

Happy 4th of July!
Tom

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
-Its strange to see 80s Camaros coming down the street being displayed as a classic car

What would be stranger-no, make that appropriate-would be to see the drivers sporting mullets.

Happy 4th to you too Tom!

PS: I'll bet Largo can pull out of photo of himself sporting a mullet. He is of the age group I think. :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
These are a few random thoughts that go through my mind during the 4th of July Parade (Berlin Twp.)

Since you posted this at 1:30AM today, obviously the 4th of July parade didn't actually occur on the 4th. Why is it that all these events no longer actually happen on the day they celebrate anymore? Maybe my memory has gotten foggy, but as a kid I recall actually having 4th of July celebrations on the 4th of July.

No big deal, but it just seems curious to me. Regardless - happy Fourth of July everyone. Maybe for at least one day we can all unite around positive thoughts for our country, which in spite of all its problems is still the greatest on the earth! :)

Folks:

Maybe I’m getting old, but I have decided not to attend the parade in town today. Instead, I am spending a quiet day at home, reflecting on the incredible and sometimes tumultuous history of the United States of America. No matter what path our history has taken the nation down, we are still the greatest country God ever instituted on Earth!!

I sang this song beginning in Kindergarten and the words of this patriotic number still sums up how I feel about America:

1. My country,' tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing;
land where my fathers died,
land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountainside let freedom ring!

2. My native country, thee,
land of the noble free, thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
thy woods and templed hills;
my heart with rapture thrills, like that above.

3. Let music swell the breeze,
and ring from all the trees sweet freedom's song;
let mortal tongues awake;
let all that breathe partake;
let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.

4. Our fathers' God, to thee,
author of liberty, to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright
with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.

Happy 4th of July everyone!! Consider the freedom we enjoy as a nation and if you see a veteran, make sure you thank him for his sacrifice and for the gift of liberty his buddies who did not make it home gave us!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
On this 4th of July I would like to request that all the mannequins out there not play with fireworks. Every year I see you on the news blowing your limbs off and catching on fire. You must realize that your made of plastic and have no brain! :D

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
PS: I'll bet Largo can pull out of photo of himself sporting a mullet. He is of the age group I think. :D

Hey now,
Let's not bring age into this daddyo'.

Hope all of you are safely enjoying today with friends and loved ones,
enjoying the freedoms we share everyday.
A good chance to celebrate ourselves patriotically as a nation.
Be well.

g.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Since you posted this at 1:30AM today, obviously the 4th of July parade didn't actually occur on the 4th. Why is it that all these events no longer actually happen on the day they celebrate anymore? Maybe my memory has gotten foggy, but as a kid I recall actually having 4th of July celebrations on the 4th of July.

No big deal, but it just seems curious to me. Regardless - happy Fourth of July everyone. Maybe for at least one day we can all unite around positive thoughts for our country, which in spite of all its problems is still the greatest on the earth! :)

I was thinking of past parades in anticipation of today's parade. I had a bit of ale last night :guinness:
The '53 Corvette was not there today, but there were many great cars involved: a GTO, several antique cars from the 30s and 40s, the army jeeps etc.