info [Gordon's Gazetteer]

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
info on ghost towns . to find some is by obtaining a copy of thomas f . gordon's gazetter of the state of new jersey and history of new jersey , published by f.denton, trenton, new jersey 1834. gordon lists many n.j towns which no longer exist.

B

bach2yoga

I have that book, or rather Barry has my copy, lol!
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have two copies. An original and a reprint. To say that it's been worthless is an understatement. Most of the smaller SJ Ghost Towns aren't in it.

Also, please be somewhat more descriptive in your thread titles. "Info" doesn't really say what the thread is about. Thanks.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's been out of print for a LONG LONG time.

There was a reprint, but it was incomplete. The original book has the gazetteer and then a whole section on the history of NJ. The reprint just has the gazetteer. Of course I paid $12.95 for the reprint, and $500 for the original, plus $200 to have it restored.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
It's been out of print for a LONG LONG time.

There was a reprint, but it was incomplete. The original book has the gazetteer and then a whole section on the history of NJ. The reprint just has the gazetteer. Of course I paid $12.95 for the reprint, and $500 for the original, plus $200 to have it restored.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person to shell out money on books...

B

bach2yoga

Wow! I'm not familiar with that book....what is it that is so special about that book?

Renee

PS I like the new mail sig much better. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I paid about $200 for the Jersey Wagon Jaunts set too. Found them almost worthless too. But they're in MINT condition at least...

By the way, if anyone wants to donate money to buy me a scanner with a document feeder & duplexer, that would help me out a lot... :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
Wow! I'm not familiar with that book....what is it that is so special about that book?

Renee

PS I like the new mail sig much better. :)

The first books of the series released starting in the 1940's, have had numerous reprints and are not rare. but the last three books of the series released in the mid 60's had very few copies printed, with this particular book having only 500 printed worldwide. The market for baby boomer series books are very high, pushing up the price. It is interesting to note that by the end of this year or early next year, they will be reprinting this book and it will sell for less than $30. Obviously it will not be an original though.

As for the signature, I actually had to edit that one and it is not in it's entirety, but the 255 word limit forced me to shorten it.

Guy