Insect nest?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The nest does look more like a Luna, no sticks.
Heres one taken on 5-25-2002 near Carranza Memorial.
IMG_0009.JPG

Reactions: John

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The large moths are very colorful. Ecampbell, that is an Imperial moth perched on the exposed root.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
I found the same thing at work today. I will take a picture tomorrow. It doesn't have a hole in it. What do you think, should I open it?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
What do you think, should I open it?

Don't open it, it will be more or less green goop inside of it at this time. If you can, keep it around and keep an eye on it to see what emerges from it. I have a large cocoon I found on a landscape the other day. I clipped the branch with the cocoon attatched. I have it on the dash of my work van to see what comes out when it hatches, if it hatches.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Don't open it, it will be more or less green goop inside of it at this time. If you can, keep it around and keep an eye on it to see what emerges from it. I have a large cocoon I found on a landscape the other day. I clipped the branch with the cocoon attatched. I have it on the dash of my work van to see what comes out when it hatches, if it hatches.

I took a picture, but I couldn't cut it out of the tree because it is a new liner (Common Persimmon) and there wouldn't be anything left of the tree if I cut out the cocoon. Now I'll never know what comes out.
photo.JPG

Reactions: Gibby

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You may very well know what comes out if it devours your plant. In any event it would make sence to isolate the plant.

Reactions: Sarra

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Now I'll never know what comes out.

Sara, you can still find out. Run the tip of your pruning knife along the cocoon's connection and ease it off of the liner. The only detail you have to keep in mind is to maintain its orientation because the emergence valve is positioned in response to gravity and is a function of inclination of the cocoon on its support. Have at it and keep it facing the same way in the jar.

- Yes, I did some research as a youngster after several cocoons failed to produce.:p

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The hole in mine was about the size of a pencil and near the bottom, see first pic.
Gibby, I never knew about an emergence valve.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
If it came on nursery stock from out of state you may just want to pick and destroy.
Yeah, I hear ya, it's a liner that was potted up last summer though, so most likely it cocooned itself on the property. It's 17 acres so there are probably a ton of them hiding. :)

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yeah, I hear ya, it's a liner that was potted up last summer though, so most likely it cocooned itself on the property. It's 17 acres so there are probably a ton of them hiding. :)
You need more Sarracenia and Drosera on the property.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Sara, you can still find out. Run the tip of your pruning knife along the cocoon's connection and ease it off of the liner. The only detail you have to keep in mind is to maintain its orientation because the emergence valve is positioned in response to gravity and is a function of inclination of the cocoon on its support. Have at it and keep it facing the same way in the jar.

- Yes, I did some research as a youngster after several cocoons failed to produce.:p
those are some serious instructions...i'll give it a whirl tomorrow!

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Very cool! Can you hold it up to a bright light to see if there is any movement? If not, look along the cocoon and see if there is a small hole. If so, a parasitic wasp may have visited the pupa.

http://www.abundantnature.com/2012/06/inside-cecropia-moth-cocoon.html
After holding it up to light on a few different occasions I haven't seen any movement. For some reason I wouldn't think it would feel as heavy as it does if it were dead though. I don't see any small holes. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I came across this beauty this afternoon while chatting with Dragoncjo. Anyone know what the name of this very large caterpillar may be? It was traveling out in the open so I suspect it may be able to sting or is toxic.

cat.jpg