Ironmaster Samuel P. Richards Original 1826 Sign from Atsion Mansion

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Here is my take on the sign. It may or may not be correct.

It is a real and original sign of Samuel P. Richard and has historic value.

However, Samuel Patrick Richards is not the Samuel Richards of Atsion. Samuel Richards of Atsion never use a middle initial, if he even had one. Samuel of Atsion did have a son named Samuel Patrick Richards born Feb 19, 1802 however, he died in Sept of 1803, less than two years old.

The Richards genealogy has 6 Samuel Richards in it. They are:

1. Samuel Richards son of Willian of Batsto - no middle name shown

2. Samuel P. Richards son of Samuel of Atsion - lived less than two years

3. Samuel P. Richards son of Jessie Richards - middle name Patrick

4. Samuel Richards grandson of Samuel of Atsiom - no middle name shown

5. Samuel Richards son of Thomas, brother of Samuel of Atsion - no middle name shown

6. Samuel Bartram Richards - middle name Bartram

Of the 6 only one is recorded as Samuel P Richards. So, the only Samuel P. Richards in the Richards genealogy is Jessie's son Samuel P. Richards. Like Janet said, it looks like he was the owner of the sign.

The next question is what was the sign used for and where did it hang? Did they hang signs on mansions? I don't know. To me it looks like a sign that hung on a general store or shop or maybe a business of some kind. I don't think Samuel P. Richards was an Ironmaster. His father Jessie was Ironmaster at Batsto until the last blast blew out January 25, 1848. By then they were well into the glass business. Was the sign on the glass house, probably not, when Jessie died his oldest son Thomas H Richards continued to run the business.

The only thing I have read about Thomas H and Samuel P. Richards is they made many trips to New York and Philadelphia promoting their glass products.

RJ, I hope this helps to narrow you search a little. You have a big job ahead, Good Luck, Don

janwor

Apr 17, 2005
Here is my take on the sign. It may or may not be correct.

It is a real and original sign of Samuel P. Richard and has historic value.

However, Samuel Patrick Richards is not the Samuel Richards of Atsion. Samuel Richards of Atsion never use a middle initial, if he even had one. Samuel of Atsion did have a son named Samuel Patrick Richards born Feb 19, 1802 however, he died in Sept of 1803, less than two years old.

The Richards genealogy has 6 Samuel Richards in it. They are:

1. Samuel Richards son of Willian of Batsto - no middle name shown

2. Samuel P. Richards son of Samuel of Atsion - lived less than two years

3. Samuel P. Richards son of Jessie Richards - middle name Patrick

4. Samuel Richards grandson of Samuel of Atsiom - no middle name shown

5. Samuel Richards son of Thomas, brother of Samuel of Atsion - no middle name shown

6. Samuel Bartram Richards - middle name Bartram

Of the 6 only one is recorded as Samuel P Richards. So, the only Samuel P. Richards in the Richards genealogy is Jessie's son Samuel P. Richards. Like Janet said, it looks like he was the owner of the sign.

The next question is what was the sign used for and where did it hang? Did they hang signs on mansions? I don't know. To me it looks like a sign that hung on a general store or shop or maybe a business of some kind. I don't think Samuel P. Richards was an Ironmaster. His father Jessie was Ironmaster at Batsto until the last blast blew out January 25, 1848. By then they were well into the glass business. Was the sign on the glass house, probably not, when Jessie died his oldest son Thomas H Richards continued to run the business.

The only thing I have read about Thomas H and Samuel P. Richards is they made many trips to New York and Philadelphia promoting their glass products.

RJ, I hope this helps to narrow you search a little. You have a big job ahead, Good Luck, Don

Don,
You are right on target. I came across a catalogue of The College of New Jersey (Princeton). The class of 1832 includes Thomas H. Richards, Batsto and the class of 1833 includes Samuel Patrick Richards, Batsto. Both would be Jesse's sons!

Both young men were married and living at the Batsto Mansion in 1860. Thomas was involved in politics and worked with his father. Can't find much on Samuel Patrick other than by 1880 he and wife, Sarah, were in Camden. In 1900, he died in Philadelphia.

Again, more research is needed, especially the 1870-1880 years. But my guess is that the sign is very connected to Jesse's son!

Your listing of the Samuels is good. We can rule out #5 and #6 since they were Atco related. #2 is ruled out by early death. Not sure about #4. #1 can be ruled out since we never see Samuel of Atsion with that P initial. That leaves Jesse's son.

Good luck hunting!
Janet

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Hi. I believe it was hung on the Atsion store. I think they were trying to get jesses son interested in some kind of business. I t seems he was a bit of a slacker. Rj

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
RJ, can you post some photos of the sign so we can get a good look at it. It's a big sign. Did they say 1 ft by 6.5 ft? Have you read something that suggest the Atsion Store. A store would be a good place.
Don

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Well Janet,

We have gone this far lets add a little more maybe we will find the signs location yet.

At the time Jesse Richards died in 1854 all his heirs were living in the Batsto Mansion. His wife Sarah: sons Thomas Haskins, Samuel Patrick, and Jesse: daughters Elizabeth Haskins, Anna Maria, and Sarah. I checked the 1860 census and as you said, they were all living in the Mansion with the exception of Elizabeth and Anna Maria who had married and move out. I also see the occupations of Samuel P. and son Jesse are listed as farmers. Could the sign have something to do with farming ? Maybe a grist mill.
January 30, 1865 Thomas H. Richards was appointed Postmaster of Batsto so they may have been living in the Mansion at this point and maybe until it was sold to Joseph Wharton in 1876. The Batsto post office would be a good place for the sign. However, Samuel P. was never Postmaster.
The sign must have been made before 1876. Just as you said, the next time they appear on the Census was 1880 living in Camden. Now Samuel P.'s occupation is enumerator ( that's a good occupation for a Princeton grad) and his son Jesse works in the office of a coal yard.

The next census 1900 he lived in Philadelphia with his wife Sarah and their son Jesse. I guess Jesse never married?

As for Samuel number four, I don't know much about him either, he died young maybe that's why. 4. Samuel Richard Feb 4, 1826 - Feb 16, 1852 Age: 26 in any event he is out.

Let me ask what building in Batsto could the sign have been on if any. The general store is a good place. If he was a farmer maybe the stables. I wonder if any of the buildings have a weathered outline where the sign once hung.

We have to ask RJ how the sign was fastened to the building?

Don

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Hi. Samuel Patrick is turning into a very interesting player in the Richards family he seems to be be the gentleman farmer or the playboy of the 1800s I think I need to find some old deeds. With his name on it. And is there any chance the sign was that of the baby boy that died so young with black crape hung on it at there home in Philadelphia. A mother would never let that go. Help me people. We are hunting. History. Thanks Rj

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Glafman, Samuel Richards of Atsion and his Mary Smith had five children that died very young. There first five children died under the age of 3 yrs. This means you have to find four more signs, HAHA, just kidding.

To solve the mystery of the sign you have to put your Gumshoes on and do a lot of leg work. Even then it doesn't look good.

Maybe the first thing you should do is find out if he had a business that required a sign. I would keep my search around Batsto. That's where the sign was found and that is where he lived the first half of his life. I don't think you will find any deeds, not sure he ever owned any land. Not sure what deeds would do for you.
Don

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Hi From what im reading Samuel P Richards was selling glass for the family in NY 1n 1850s so much so he was living there for months at a time in the census of that year he is not listed as living at batsto so maybe the sign was in NY at his store or when he came back he lived in Atsion Mansion for awhile and hung his name there think we are getting closer RJ