Ironmaster Samuel P. Richards Original 1826 Sign from Atsion Mansion

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I doubt it. The story doesn't seem to add up at all.

As I said, Uncle Josh was a caretaker for the Lippincott family. The Lippincott family members were the heirs of the Joseph Wharton Estate which encompassed some 100,000 acres in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and included the historic villages of Atsion and Batsto.

There were no "heirs" to the Wharton's land, certainly not the Atsion area. After Wharton's death his estate managed the property until finally selling it to the state in the 1950s. They also said that William Bozarth was a fire warden for the Lippincott family, and that he would sit in the tower of the mansion keeping an eye out for smoke. So far as I know the tower wasn't used for this purpose until the state took over.

I also find it highly unlikely that Samuel Richards, who owned four ironworks, would have had a hand painted wooden sign made for the mansion when all of the other decorations he had were of iron. I also doubt that anybody who was commissioned to make such a sign would also sign it with their name (EARNEST in the lower right corner.)

Finally - and this is the part that I'm less sure on - it seems like the nail that is sticking up out of the frame is too new to have been from 1826. It looks like a machine made wire nail, not a handmade cut nail. I also don't know if hand made iron nails of that vintage would bend like this one did. The other side of the sign - the one without the border - seems to have at least one period correct nail driven into it.

So I don't know, maybe Jerseyman can chime in on this one.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Do you know where they got the sign?

Joseph Wharton had three daughters, Joanna, Mary, and Ann. Girard Trust Company of Philadelphia was trustee for the estate under the will of Joseph Wharton. Andrew Etheridge was caretaker of Atsion for Joseph Wharton. Andrew's son-in-law Leeson Small (Bertha) became caretaker after Wharton's death, until the 40Acre Atsion property was sold to the state on Sept 29, 1955.

Under Leeson Small it was called "Atsion Farms" which included cranberries of course, house rentals on the south side of route 206 and a little know village of log cabins on the north side around the lake called "The Log Cabin Village" that they rented out. The existing log cabins may have been part of this village. I know there were at least 26 cabins and probably more. Also the general store until 946.

The nails may have been repairs over the years.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Joanna the oldest daughter of Joseph Wharton married Joshua Bertram Lippincott in 1885. So the sign may be original. I think a friend of mine knew the last Lippincott girl, in the late 1970's. Also, I think she had the furniture out of the mansion. If it becomes important I can always check.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Ben,

Samuel P. Richards is not the Samuel Richards of Atsion. He was the son of Jesse Richards of Batsto who was Samuel of Atsions brother.

Here is the best part, Samuel P. Richards son of Jesse Richards of Batsto married Sarah Lippincott, haha. Maybe they got the wrong mansion in their story on ebay. The P on the sign tells me it has nothing to do with Atsion.

Don

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Hi I bought that sign I had talked to that women 10 years ago she had a stand on the road to Atsion selling glass and junk we started talking about Atsion she told me then she had a treasure from there and it was that 1826 sign but did not want to sell it so im rolling the dice on this one I really want it to be real so I can return to the mansion anyone know anybody that can help me on this Glafman

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Hi I bought that sign I had talked to that women 10 years ago she had a stand on the road to Atsion selling glass and junk we started talking about Atsion she told me then she had a treasure from there and it was that 1826 sign but did not want to sell it so im rolling the dice on this one I really want it to be real so I can return to the mansion anyone know anybody that can help me on this Glafman

Contact Rob Auermuller(sp) the Wharton Superintendent.

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Hi Back with more info on Atsion sign The P does belong on that sign Samuel Patrick, named after his uncle on his mothers side I have some great old books on South Jersey looking good so far but he did have a store in Philadelphia selling iron when he was younger when his father owned Basto Glafman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben,

Samuel P. Richards is not the Samuel Richards of Atsion. He was the son of Jesse Richards of Batsto who was Samuel of Atsions brother.

Here is the best part, Samuel P. Richards son of Jesse Richards of Batsto married Sarah Lippincott, haha. Maybe they got the wrong mansion in their story on ebay. The P on the sign tells me it has nothing to do with Atsion.

Don

Wow, I can't believe I didn't catch that. I'm slipping in my old age.

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Sorry that's not right. I the book family empire in jersey iron chapter 1 page 27. Read and learn Thank you. Glafman

Glafman

Dec 31, 2013
Sorry. Your right this sign has got me so crazy I want it to be the real deal so I can return it to Atsion Mansion. Free of charge again I'm sorry I just love the history of south jersey. But no excuse for being rude thanks. Glafman

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Glafman, the sign you bought could very well bear the name of Jesse Richards' son Samuel. You might not want to accept this possibility, but who really knows? I hope it turns out that it is indeed the sign of Samuel Richards of Atsion fame.