Is Carranza Road a bad place to be at night?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
As has Jim, I've done some telescope work in the pines and have also been nocturnally audio-recording frogs, birds, and insects routinely for the past few years. Not a single incident to report here. When actually approached, it has only been by rangers checking to see what I was up to. That's not to say one should not use common sense and practice caution; for one, I always let somebody at home know where I plan to be. I must confess, though; when back in the middle of nowhere and seeing headlights slowly approach from far away, a person doesn't feel quite as comfortable as he or she might while encountering a stranger during daylight.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
When i was 13 my parents and my siblings and cousins where staying at the campsite on Atsion lake.

As a lark my father piled myself and 4 kids into his GMC Jimmy and took a ride down Quaker bridge road, on the way out he pull up to the cemetary next to the church at the entrance. There was 4 people in there early 20's dressed head to toe in black the big guy of the grp was carrying 2 samurai style swords.

Needless to say it was a fun night and lotsa scary memories for the children :)

Oct 25, 2006
As has Jim, I've done some telescope work in the pines and have also been nocturnally audio-recording frogs, birds, and insects routinely for the past few years. Not a single incident to report here. When actually approached, it has only been by rangers checking to see what I was up to. That's not to say one should not use common sense and practice caution; for one, I always let somebody at home know where I plan to be. I must confess, though; when back in the middle of nowhere and seeing headlights slowly approach from far away, a person doesn't feel quite as comfortable as he or she might while encountering a stranger during daylight.

Same here, only approached by rangers and they came back a few times to check back up on me, no incidents yet, have to travel though to get to those darker skies. The city lights are murder.

Jim

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I have been out in the pines at night on many occasions, never had anything out of the ordinary happen to me, I do know my way around though. Going in the night is good if you have a telescope or watching a meteor shower.