Is Hermann all but gone?

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
I was going to resurrect this old thread below, but figured I ought to start a new one.
I went looking for the cellar hole of the Hermann hotel, the glassworks, and the unfinished house on the Mullica this Saturday. I started at Crowley's landing, where supposedly some glass was around, but that seems overgrown or cleaned up.
Then I walked down the closed-off end of Bulltown Road, and didn't find much. Finally, I walked down whatever road is near LB's Lunch Box (good corn fritters and crab cake sandwich, btw) and I found some old sycamore trees, and what looked like what had been the lakefront land of a hotel, with some yucca or similar plants in a row.
I walked around looking for the glassworks and the house ruins, but I couldn't find a thing.
Has anyone been out there recently? Is it worth returning in winter, when visibility may be better, or can you only see anything from the water?

the olden thread:

Reactions: BeachandBarrens

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The ruins have to still be there. Wait until the winter and go back. Especially right along the edge of the woods by the river.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The ruins are still there. You somehow missed them but you were right there. The hotel, sadly burnt down in the ‘90’s and is mostly just some scattered bricks and some scant foundation. Yucca and buttonwood, and catalpa are around. But the glassworks foundations and the illegal house and the cellar holes of the store and boarding house are still around. After the chiggers are gone is the best time to check it out. . A very brief working history to Herman city but the hotel was around for a very very long time before it burnt down.

No soda bottling at Apple pie hill but the best tuberculosis cure all money could buy. If you look a little you will find the bottling house.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I was going to resurrect this old thread below, but figured I ought to start a new one.
I went looking for the cellar hole of the Hermann hotel, the glassworks, and the unfinished house on the Mullica this Saturday. I started at Crowley's landing, where supposedly some glass was around, but that seems overgrown or cleaned up.
Then I walked down the closed-off end of Bulltown Road, and didn't find much. Finally, I walked down whatever road is near LB's Lunch Box (good corn fritters and crab cake sandwich, btw) and I found some old sycamore trees, and what looked like what had been the lakefront land of a hotel, with some yucca or similar plants in a row.
I walked around looking for the glassworks and the house ruins, but I couldn't find a thing.
Has anyone been out there recently? Is it worth returning in winter, when visibility may be better, or can you only see anything from the water?

the olden thread:
A little further east from the hotel are the ruins of a glassworks and town from the late 1800s. The hotel was the old Sooy homestead which was turned into the Hermann City Hotel. The town itself was short lived, but the hotel remained for quite some time, eventually being turned into a boarding house. It remained in the family's (Rapps, I think) possession until the 1980's when the last family member passed on and the property was taken over by the state.

I can message you the coordinates if you want the exact spot it stood! Check your messages!

Reactions: TommyP and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been slow to respond to this. I have not been there in almost 20 years and apparently much of the ruins are gone. Is that correct? In any event, here are a few photos from 1/5/2003. The first time I actually visited there was 10/5/2002 with Ben and others.

1:5:03 Herman Cityb.jpg

If this is the illegal house mentioned it was not a house.

Herman Citya.jpg

Herman Cityc.jpg

Herman Cityd.jpg

I have some other interesting info that I will try and get together.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I usually don't post my maps but Herman is not one of my primary interests. Some of you may find this interesting. I have kept the map as big as possible while still trying to save storage space on this site. The map is from 1955 and shows the leases the state was either dealing with or were about to deal with when they fully acquired Wharton. Most likely once they did they threw these people out just like at Sandy Ridge and other places. It is interesting to note they were on the other side of the road along Bulltown Road.

Attachments

• Herman Leases.jpg
    Herman Leases.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 141

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Guy, your pics are of the ruins of the glass factory, and a duck blind on the end of the point where the Bull Creek meets the Mullica. The house is along the water, the factory ruins are more inland. Pic 1 is the house ruins with Mullica in background. Pic 2 is what the beach looks like during a west wind. Pic 3 is proof that its a duck blind on the point

IMG_2368.jpg
IMG_8137.jpg
IMG_2369.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Lol I just referred to it as the illegal house because apparently it was built (or started to be built) after Wharton died and before the state purchased his estate. At a time when there was little enforcement to deter trespassers. Allegedly, someone thought they could build the house and no one would notice they didn’t actually own the land.
Well, that’s the going theory and seems as good as any.
I don’t know that anybody has ever referred to it as the illegal house before. But maybe we should. I bet they stored shine in it during prohibition.

• Haha
Reactions: BeachandBarrens

the olden thread:
Oh, is that where LB's Lunch Box moved to? I remember them from when they were next to the River Road Clam House. Good po'boys too. I'll have to stop by again and explore the area. Sounds like some interesting stuff to see back there.

Reactions: Teegate

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Yeah, they apparently had all sorts of issues because the town council doesn't like food trucks. Once they bought land, they still had issues until it was clear they weren't using the truck. The food is still good, I had some fritters and crab cakes and they were tasty. I wish they were open all year round!
I'll be going back once the leaves drop to see if I can find the ruins people have shared. I have trouble finding the glass of water I just poured myself, much less forgotten ruins...

Ottavio08

Mar 25, 2020
Burlington
It’s still there, you’re very close. When you walked down that path towards then Mullica, to the right is all of the dwellings and what’s left. With all the over grow and sticker bushes it’s hard to find. Depending on the tide is if u can see the old wharf or not. I’ve been twice, once I could see the ward the other it was under water. 2021

Attachments

• 441B0121-F684-4C0D-8925-589407BC62DA.jpeg
    441B0121-F684-4C0D-8925-589407BC62DA.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2847854F-5292-45D3-AFE1-1BC8114C94F5.jpeg
    2847854F-5292-45D3-AFE1-1BC8114C94F5.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 7C68B237-80DF-477B-A984-961CAD80A252.jpeg
    7C68B237-80DF-477B-A984-961CAD80A252.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 80
  • D6981BA2-6B26-462A-B73D-2E225350846D.jpeg
    D6981BA2-6B26-462A-B73D-2E225350846D.jpeg