is this a good a gps ?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
One word and an alphanumeric combination:
Garmin 60CSX
End of story.

i read some reviews and they say this one was better then the garmin ? do you have the garmin ? im looking for personal opinions on this im willing to spend the money but dont wanna go broke buying one ya know, does the garmin have the aerial imagery ?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There were some issues with the PN-20; evidently it is very slow to draw and update the screen. Everyone says the PN-40 is much faster, so that's probably a better choice. If you want custom maps and ariel imagery, this is really the only option for a consumer product. The screen seems quite small however, especially considering the type of imagery it uses.

I haven't used one myself, but lots of discussion over at GroundSpeak:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=208027
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=208598

I have a number of GPS'es, including a Garmin 60csx and Oregon. The 60csx is considered the "gold standard" by many people, and it's certainly a nice unit. But the weak part is the tiny low resolution screen which can only display 256 colors. For all you 60csx fans... I plan to sell mine as soon as I can get my act together... will list it here when that time comes.

See if you can find a store which carries several different models... I think REI in Marlton has a pretty good selection. It would be best to play around with them personally to see how you feel. The Oregon is certainly worth looking at too.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
There were some issues with the PN-20; evidently it is very slow to draw and update the screen. Everyone says the PN-40 is much faster, so that's probably a better choice. If you want custom maps and ariel imagery, this is really the only option for a consumer product. The screen seems quite small however, especially considering the type of imagery it uses.

I haven't used one myself, but lots of discussion over at GroundSpeak:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=208027
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=208598

I have a number of GPS'es, including a Garmin 60csx and Oregon. The 60csx is considered the "gold standard" by many people, and it's certainly a nice unit. But the weak part is the tiny low resolution screen which can only display 256 colors. For all you 60csx fans... I plan to sell mine as soon as I can get my act together... will list it here when that time comes.

See if you can find a store which carries several different models... I think REI in Marlton has a pretty good selection. It would be best to play around with them personally to see how you feel. The Oregon is certainly worth looking at too.

i been looking at the oregon 400t , whats your opinion that ? the only thing is its 600 bucks

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
i been looking at the oregon 400t , whats your opinion that ? the only thing is its 600 bucks
I have this unit and like it very much. Some folks complain about Garmin's seeming lack of support for a couple issues. The first couple patches they released last spring cleared up my issues. I use it almost daily and love the unit.

GPS units are beginning to get like computers as they are outdated soon after one purchases them.

$600 is high. I didn't even pay that much when it was just released. I believe they can be found in the $400 range now.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I have this unit and like it very much. Some folks complain about Garmin's seeming lack of support for a couple issues. The first couple patches they released last spring cleared up my issues. I use it almost daily and love the unit.

GPS units are beginning to get like computers as they are outdated soon after one purchases them.

$600 is high. I didn't even pay that much when it was just released. I believe they can be found in the $400 range now.

im going to look into that , cause i really like that 400t

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Lots of info about the Colorado here: http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

Info about the Oregon is here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Personally I think the touchscreen interface of the Oregon is a big plus, especially when you have to enter coordinates or waypoint names... doing that with a menu wheel or cursor key is very frustrating for me. It's also very nice to just drag the map around with your finger when browsing.

Both of these units are available with the same preloaded US Topo 2008 maps and the screens are the same resolution. However the touchscreen on the Oregon makes the screen a bit harder to read. It's not a huge problem, but it could be better. I think this photo gives a pretty good idea of what to expect in full sunlight

sun01.jpg

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Just in case you did not see this, Garmin Colorado for $229.99 after rebate at REI. I don't know if this is a good price or not, just passing it along.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
i've been wanting to get a gps and this Garmin 60 CSx seems good..

however,

i've been wondering if there is any way to somehow upload google earth satellite maps on to a GPS. is this possible?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not on the 60csx, Garmin gps'es can only use Garmin maps (plus those that people like me are making themselves :))

If you are interested in satellite imagery, check out the DeLorme PN-40. For a reasonable yearly subscription fee you can download as much as you like. People say that the software is very complex though and takes awhile to learn how to use. See: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10461

If you want Google earth, the only solution that I know of is a phone. The iPhone has Google Earth, Google Maps and Earthscape. The new Google phones (Android) also have Google maps, though I've never used one. But with a phone, the data is not stored on the device, but loaded as needed over the cell network, which limits its use to places where you can get a signal.

I would not be surprised to see satellite imagery coming to the Garmin Oregon eventually. It is capable of supporting it, and they have a couple products already (like their new marine maps) which incorporate satellite photos. This is just my own speculation though, since nothing has been announced.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
i'm VERY happy with my 60. it has been dropped numerous times. yesterdayt it went under water for about 45 seconds. I use it primarily for geocaching and it serves me well. if you would like i will give you a demo of it, take ya for a few caches and show its durability.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I bought a 60Csx last month due in large part to the raves on this site. I've used it a few times and really like it alot. Can't wait to do some exploring with it in the pines soon!!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I don't leave home without my 60 CSX. Really.
I use it for saltwater fishing with the Bluechart chip and hunting and work with the NE Topo chip.
I have checked its accuracy in a few land surveying applications and if you let it burn a little while on some points you can get scary results out of it.
I have yet to try Boyd's maps because I procrastinate a lot.
I think I will try them later.
:)