is this a good a gps ?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Have I used it? no, but my buddy dropped one and it wouldnt power up after that. took it back to REI and got a new one we'll see how this lasts. Maybe it was dropped on the right spot..... i dunno. just a bad impression to me after seeing the price he paid compared to myself. Who knows maybe after the price comes down some I'll get one, as long as they prove themselves reliable, which I know the have compared to the colorado. until then i be happy with my csx:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I would never suggest that you should replace your GPS just because something new has come along. If you're happy with your 60csx then that's all that matters. However, in the case of somebody who is just now shopping for a GPS, I think they owe it to themselves to consider all available options.

Depending on where you shop, the 60csx and Oregon 200 are close to the same price ($50 rebate on the Oregon). At Amazon today the 60csx is $260 and the Oregon 200 is $317, but a few days ago the Oregon was going for $250. You have to check regularly to catch a sale.

The Oregon 400t is much more expensive, but it come with preloaded maps, 4gb internal memory, compass and altimeter. Personally, the compass and altimeter are things I could do without. They will drain your battery much more quickly when activated on either the 60csx or Oregon.

6 feet over

Dec 6, 2008
Delco, PA
Just to muddy the waters some more, the Garmin Rino is a great two way radio/GPS comb. I allows you to 'beam' your GPS location to another Rino user. If you hike/hunt/fish with a partner, they are well worth looking at.

Even without another Rino user, it has a built in weather radio, alarm clock, etc. A very useful tool to go along with the compass we all carry. Right?

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I would never suggest that you should replace your GPS just because something new has come along. If you're happy with your 60csx then that's all that matters. However, in the case of somebody who is just now shopping for a GPS, I think they owe it to themselves to consider all available options.

I've been reading this w/ great interest. Now that college payments are finished AND once I get back to work I'll consider the Oregon as an upgrade to replace my aging E-trex legend BUT the way things are going, though, the Oregon may be old news by then...

I DO know that I will stick w/ garmin; my legend has been dropped, rained on, and used hard and all it needs is a freshly charged pair of batteries to go back to work...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Personally I think the Oregon is Garmin's platform of choice for the immediate future. But it's a dog eat dog business environment now. Just today Navigon announced they are closing North American offices and laying off staff: http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/NAVIGON-stops-PND-business-in-North-America_a1497.html

“Due to the difficult economic environment and the aggressive pricing we have decided to withdraw from the PND business in North America for the time being. We are however not closing down our Chicago office which will continue to serve our automotive and mobile phone businesses in North America.”

airgunner23

May 13, 2009
But most important, the glass screen on the 60csx is mounted flush to the surface which means it will probably break with a direct hit against a rock or concrete. The Oregon screen is plastic and feels very tough. But it is also recessed, so it's less likely to make contact if it hits face down.

Uh, no it isn't. The 60CSx also has a plastic front screen and the LCD panel is quite recessed. I should know as I just bought one and have it right in front of me. :guinness:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hmm, mine feels like glass, but maybe you're right.

Are you actually interested in the New Jersey pine barrens, or are you just stopping by to bother me here too? :)

airgunner23

May 13, 2009
Hmm, mine feels like glass, but maybe you're right.

Are you actually interested in the New Jersey pine barrens, or are you just stopping by to bother me here too? :)

Just researching every thing about the 60CSx for tips on using and getting the most out of it and ran across this site. Is your tin foil hat too tight? :rofl:

Tapping on the 60CSx screen with a fingernail easily shows that it's some sort of high impact plastic. Who knows as mine's brand new. Maybe Garmin changed something along the way.