Isolation 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I agree about the cash - I can see the cashiers would really rather not take cash. Except gas stations - they don't seem to have a problem with it. But aside from contactless payments, can't you use credit or debit cards without touching anything that doesn't belong to you? Insert card in chip reader, wait, pull it out and go? Or do some also require a PIN entry or signature? That would kind of defeat the purpose. Does anyone know how that works? Limited experience here, but with recent credit card uses I did not have to "sign" or enter a PIN. I think I read you don't need a PIN with a debit card either unless you also want cash back, but I'm not sure.

Pro tip: Those blue nitrile golves work fine with touch screens. You don't even need to put the glove on. Just pull it out your pocket and tap away, then put it back. Wash the glove when you get home - you can spray it with disinfectant for example.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I haven't purchased gas in a long time which is unusual for me. Looks like I will have to tomorrow. Saved a ton of money the last few weeks mostly staying home.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Limited experience here, but with recent credit card uses I did not have to "sign" or enter a PIN.

You just insert your card in the newer terminals I've used, but some (most?) stores ask you to confirm the purchase on the touchscreen. There are some local stores (like hardware, garden supply and liquor stores I've visited recently) that still have the old card readers where the clerk inserts your card, gives you a paper receipt and a pen to sign (ridiculous, since the card companies dropped this requirement years ago), then the clerk prints a receipt and hands it to you.

I never read the stuff when my new Amex card came (who does?) but I just saw that the new card works with contactless pay terminals (guess it has an RFID chip). Have not started looking for compatible terminals at stores, but I will in the future.

For debit cards... GET RID OF THEM. They are a disaster waiting to happen. My daughter and several friends have had their bank accounts frozen when their cards were compromised. We discussed this in another thread... :)

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
You just insert your card in the newer terminals...

For debit cards... GET RID OF THEM. They are a disaster waiting to happen. My daughter and several friends have had their bank accounts frozen when their cards were compromised. We discussed this in another thread... :)

OK, thanks. I think if a store wanted my card handed to them and a paper signature, I would probably leave my purchases there and walk out. Except - my auto mechanic does that and I like them. But maybe they've changed. Or maybe they don't have a credit card reader the the customer can reach. They need one.

My debit card is also my ATM card so that isn't going away, but thanks for the reminder that using it for purchases is risky. But for some reason I feel odd using a credit card at a supermarket for food.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
About those contactless cards: The state forests that have offices that accept credit cards for purchases got new terminals last year and they include contactless card readers, on long wires that reach out to the customers. They work with a credit card that has that 3-arc symbol for contactless. I'm not sure what advantage this gives you versus just 'dipping' the chipped card, but it does work - if you can figure out exactly where to tap the card on the terminal. The contactless readers also work with things like Apple Pay, for those who have it set up on their phones.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was at a big locally-owned hardware store around a week ago, and they had the old style terminal I described. I would rather give them my business and take my chance with a toxic receipt instead of "leaving my purchases and walking out" and driving another 20 miles to give my money to Home Depot. But that's just me. ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm not sure what advantage this gives you versus just 'dipping' the chipped card

Well, since you raised concerns about touching things, let's say the contagious guy before you puts his card in his mouth, then sticks it in the card reader. Now you stick your card in, and the germs transfer to the end of your card. Personally, I'm not too worried. I have alcohol wipes in the car, and wipe my hands, card, and everything else in sight when I leave the store. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
But for some reason I feel odd using a credit card at a supermarket for food.

:D Perhaps, because like me, you might of had to do it while the kids were growing up and hated having to do another step at the end of the month. Worse yet, let it ride and pay the bastards interest until you got it down again. Those cards were the devil in those days.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Virus or no virus, never use your debit card, except for getting money from the ATM. You have little recourse against fraud.

Use your credit card and pay it off in full each month or every week or two online. In case of fraud, it's fairly easy to get reimbursed.

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
I don't want to minimize the gravity of the covid-19 stuation but I do need to share a recent experience. I was out on a bike ride and at the bottom of Apple Pie Hill someone named William White III has dug a well and started a business bottling and selling a magical elixir that wards off the virus. I bought a case and the nice gentlemen even gave me green stamps. Some of our readers may want to note that 40,000 green stamps will get you a rake and custom mixed paint. The business has special hours for those of us over 60 but I drank so much of the elixir I can't remember what they are. Everyone please be well.

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
how to isolate yourself

Attachments

• 1585315784828.png
    1585315784828.png
    964.5 KB · Views: 217
T

Toothy Critter

Stopped for milk this morning at a Heritage. I was noticing that there was no one in the store these past few early mornings so it looked like a safe place to stop.
Opened the door with one finger, opened the cold case with one finger and carried the milk to the register and out the door with one finger.

Went outside and cut off my finger. Safe !

Whew... good thing you didn't use their bathroom :eek:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have an iPhone they now have a free app to track your symptoms. Go to the App Store.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I don't want to minimize the gravity of the covid-19 stuation but I do need to share a recent experience. I was out on a bike ride and at the bottom of Apple Pie Hill someone named William White III has dug a well and started a business bottling and selling a magical elixir that wards off the virus. I bought a case and the nice gentlemen even gave me green stamps. Some of our readers may want to note that 40,000 green stamps will get you a rake and custom mixed paint. The business has special hours for those of us over 60 but I drank so much of the elixir I can't remember what they are. Everyone please be well.

Don't be taken by that snake oil salesman! I get the real stuff from my good Doctor Smith down in Egg Harbor. He's even got a wading pool to cool yer heels in. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So to lighten this a little I give you these photos from my family collection. They were taken by one of three people, my great grandmother on my moms side, my grandmother, or her sister.

These photos are from the Spanish Flu era of 1918 to 1920 in Gibbstown NJ. The town of Bridgeport apparently had a float reminding everyone to stay healthy, and traveled to Gibbstown to join their parade.

spanish.JPG

I assume these are the front line health workers of the day. Take particular notice of the brick building on the left.

spanishflu.jpg

Here we see it again.

gibbstowna.jpg

And here it is in 2015.

IMG_1125.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.