"Isveland" Thorofare

I was recently poring over some of Boyd's maps while doing some research and found something that I have never noticed. I saw that the creek linking the Wading and Bass rivers was named the Loveland Thorofare on some maps but on others it was known as the Isveland Thorofare. I thought that maybe Isveland was a simple spelling error due to the fact of its closeness in spelling to Loveland but it is found on a number of maps. The 1888 Cook, 1890 USGS, and the 1872 Beers topo maps as well as the 1890 Quad maps have it as either "Isvelands Thoro" or "Isveland Cr." while the earlier 1858 Kuhn map of Burlington County and the 1859 Sikes map have it as "Lovelands Thoro." I know the Loveland family loomed large in the area, hence the name of the thorofare, but any attempt to locate Isveland has not yielded any results. Is this a simple spelling error? Could this be an example of a "copyright trap?" I apologize in advance for my ignorance on this topic; I searched the forum to see if it has been discussed before and did a cursory search online but again found nothing. I'll put a screenshot of the maps that have it labeled as "Isveland" below.
1888 Cook Topo-Isvelands Thoro.png1890 Quad Maps-Isveland's Thoro.png1890 USGS Topo-Isveland Thoro.png1872 Beers Topo-Isveland Cr..png

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hopefully we will hear from Jerseyman on this. The reason I say that is years ago when I was finding stones with the letter I (Eye) on them when it should have been a J, Jerseyman mentioned that in a particular era in the 1700's the letter I (Eye) was used in place of J on many deeds. I did some checking and found that to be true. So maybe that may be what happened here with the letters. Totally a guess.

For example, notice the name here is Joseph Burr, but his silverware had the letters IB on them. Also notice the letter f is used in the place of s in this article.

PA Gazette, 25 July 1765_.JPG

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Damnit, Dan. I was supposed to get some work done tonight!

Great observation. I never noticed that!

The 1931 aerial also calls it Isveland.

Isn't Isvec a name for Sweden? Sweden-land thorofare? Perhaps named by Mullica himself?

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
"Isvec" is the Turkish name for Sweden, which isn't precisely what I'd associate with Eric Mullica!

Looking at the samples there, I think the simplest explanation is a draftsman's error: some 19th-century cartographer saw a serif-adorned and slightly smudgy "Loveland" and misread it as "Isveland". (Squint a little at that 1872 Beers Map and you'll see the same thing happen in reverse.) Evidently no one ever bothered to ask the locals what they thought the name should be!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
"Isvec" is the Turkish name for Sweden, which isn't precisely what I'd associate with Eric Mullica!

Looking at the samples there, I think the simplest explanation is a draftsman's error: some 19th-century cartographer saw a serif-adorned and slightly smudgy "Loveland" and misread it as "Isveland". (Squint a little at that 1872 Beers Map and you'll see the same thing happen in reverse.) Evidently no one ever bothered to ask the locals what they thought the name should be!
You're telling me Mullica wasn't a Turk??