It's silly season time

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Winter-Map4.png

http://firsthandweather.com/283/early-2014-15-winter-forecast-region-region-breakdown/

Reactions: MarkBNJ

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
YES! BRING IT ON! Death to all chiggers!

Really - just what I have been thinking. Got hit pretty bad over the past week or so. And I haven't been bushwacking or anything, just walking on well-cleared trails. I think many of the bites have come from just walking around my mowed yard. They love to lurk in the grass, even when it is short. :argh:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Do you have deer in your yard Boyd? My theory is they drop off the deer after eating to lay eggs and wherever deer tread this is where your likely to walk through a hatch.After they drop off and the eggs hatch the young chiggers climb up whatever grass or shrub they find and wait for a ride and a meal.I think this is why they frequent old grassy woods roads because deer use these roads to travel so chiggers often fall off in them.They may even KNOW when to fall off.Maybe they can see or smell the grass.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Really - just what I have been thinking. Got hit pretty bad over the past week or so. And I haven't been bushwacking or anything, just walking on well-cleared trails. I think many of the bites have come from just walking around my mowed yard. They love to lurk in the grass, even when it is short. :argh:

My SIL is complaining about similar bites, but she lives in an old-timer gated community with nothing but grass. I told her tiger skeeters, fleas, or chiggers. Pick your poison. She said they were wasps and keeps complaining. Let her scratch or go back to cali. :rolleyes:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Poor meterologists,always getting a bad rap.My wife is always complaining about their inaccurate forecasts. I am usually happy to take what I can get and just order my outside activities to what the weather dictates.If it's hot I go swimmin and take plenty of water.If it's cold,Hurray! no chiggers!I use to hate rain in the woods because wearing glasses effectively made me blind.Now I don't have to wear glasses anymore ,Hurray! I love the rain now! I don't like slushy or frozen snow so I"ll stay inside and scope aerials to figure out where I"m going when it melts.Powder? Hurray! I love it!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I do a lot of freshwater fishing and I can testify that the mosquitoes around the lakes in South Jersey have been awful this summer. Thank God it cooled off enough today so that I can wear long pants and a long shirt when I go fishing this afternoon, because as soon as dusk hits the 5 - 10 mosquitos buzzing around me while the sun is still high are joined by 30 - 40 of their buddies.