Jeep Jamboree 2016 – WOW! IT IS FINALLY COMING!!!!!

From Al Horner's blog:

https://wordpress.com/read/feeds/23962835/posts/941605056

The article is about a group from California that hosts a massive jeep weekend each year in Wharton.

If this is on the level, I'm with him on this one. Not sure how a California can get 70 jeepers to pay them for an offroading adventure on NJ public lands and head through restricted areas.

Not happy about his shot at MAP supporters in there though...

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Cant read the article but jeep jamboree does annual events all over the country, including here in jersey.
If you saw what they charge to to travel public land you would be even more amazed!
Being that big a group, and publicly known, traveling in restricted areas year after year seems a stretch

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Being new to this forum and the issue, I do not think that I am betraying any confidence to say that I emailed Al yesterday just to get his views on the MAPS issue. I've seen MAPS discussed here since last September. Al is a good hearted fellow who is understandably passionate about his cause, and I asked him how closing more roads would solve the problem, since the laws aren't enforced now. He admitted that the two(?) Park Patrol vehicles are part of State Police and they essentially patrol main roads and do not venture far into Wharton. Since there is no will on the part of the state to enforce existing laws, what good will closing additional roads do? I know this point has been made before but I am befuddled as to how shutting out responsible vehicles - actually the word "responsible" makes no sense since the state or DEP or whoever is sanctioning this event. Since this is a sanctioned "drive your jeeps into the river and environmentally sensitive wetland areas" event, how do closing down any roads at all make the slightest bit of sense? I am not a fan of state or government bureaucracy but this is nonsensical. I am wondering if I missing some critical piece of the puzzle here.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have to respect Al for his passion to this cause, and I can tell you for certain he likes to go the same places we do. However, for some reason he just can't sit back and evaluate his participation in this. He is hell bent on trying to stop us from doing the same things he has done for years. I am not talking about damaging the forest, just driving down roads to get to where he/we want to go. Does anyone think he drives within a mile of his intended location to do some photography and walks the rest of the way? I think not. He has limited time in the early mornings and has to get to his location to get his photographs taken.

I am a morning person and just like Al I like to get there early and do what I have to do. I rarely run into anyone at that time of morning and with that in mind I can go anywhere and for the most part and not see anyone. Without a doubt I know he does the same thing and will do the same thing even if there was a MAP. Who is going to catch him?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Agreed. The State is inviting the Jeeps into wetland areas... but they're going to close half the roads? I'm lpoking for the logic and seeing none.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What makes you think the state is inviting anyone here? That is not the state doing that.

Reactions: dogg57

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I can't speak for the jeep jamboree since I have no connection with them. I can't answer what they donated to the state to hold their event, if anything. I'm sure that there is no sanctioned drive through 1/4 mile or other sensitive areas. Maybe in the past the state turned a blind eye but I hope that's not happening now. Again this is only speculation since I'm not envolved on their end either.
Al also accuses the people of coming back after the jamboree and doing whatever they want. The same argument could be used for Pinelands Adventures charging for a tour and a month later their clients come back with their friends.
Al is a good hearted fellow, so are a lot of people in this forum. This doesn't make either wrong in their opinion. I have learned a long time ago not to make a judgement until you hear both sides. This article represents only one view, right or wrong this is Al's view.

Reactions: JennyD and Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You have to respect Al for his passion to this cause, and I can tell you for certain he likes to go the same places we do. However, for some reason he just can't sit back and evaluate his participation in this. He is hell bent on trying to stop us from doing the same things he has done for years. I am not talking about damaging the forest, just driving down roads to get to where he/we want to go. Does anyone think he drives within a mile of his intended location to do some photography and walks the rest of the way? I think not. He has limited time in the early mornings and has to get to his location to get his photographs taken.

I am a morning person and just like Al I like to get there early and do what I have to do. I rarely run into anyone at that time of morning and with that in mind I can go anywhere and for the most part and not see anyone. Without a doubt I know he does the same thing and will do the same thing even if there was a MAP. Who is going to catch him?

No one has to, nor should, respect anyone that is a hypocrite and if what you say is accurate, Mr. Horner is one of the worst kinds.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
What makes you think the state is inviting anyone here? That is not the state doing that.
You're saying that Jeep Jamboree is actively promoting, and charging for a "mud hole drive through the river around Batsto" jamboree, and they have not applied for permits, or asked permission, and the Park Patrol, or the DEP or the Wharton Forest Rangers or any state agency just allows it to happen? Does anyone who is in charge care about Wharton? They must know about it, and it must be against the law. I admit that I don't understand any of this.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not saying they don't know about it, just that they are not asking them to come.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You're saying that Jeep Jamboree is actively promoting, and charging for a "mud hole drive through the river around Batsto" jamboree, and they have not applied for permits, or asked permission, and the Park Patrol, or the DEP or the Wharton Forest Rangers or any state agency just allows it to happen? Does anyone who is in charge care about Wharton? They must know about it, and it must be against the law. I admit that I don't understand any of this.

Anyone that charges for trips, tours, etc. in a state park or forest must first procure a permit which has conditions attached to it. This is general knowledge and easily found on the state web site at the link.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...l_use_permit_application_package_complete.pdf

Not much in this thread appears to be very accurate, but conjecture. Probably the best source of info would be contact Wharton and/or the Jamboree organizers. I do know these events have been held at various locations around the country since 1953 and the one in NJ for around 10 years.

162727062.jpg

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Seems like a lot of jumping to conclusions here. In addition to what 46er said above, the event organizers would be required to supply maps of proposed routes as part of their permit application. The routes would then need the approval of the superintendent, and we all know where Rob stands on the issue.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Anyone that charges for trips, tours, etc. in a state park or forest must first procure a permit which has conditions attached to it. This is general knowledge and easily found on the state web site at the link.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...l_use_permit_application_package_complete.pdf
Not much in this thread appears to be very accurate, but conjecture. Probably the best source of info would be contact Wharton and/or the Jamboree organizers. I do know these events have been held at various locations around the country since 1953 and the one in NJ for around 10 years.

From the Jeep Jamboree web site:
"There is usually an abundance of water, so expect to get your feet wet and your Jeep® 4×4 muddy in the many mud holes and water crossings."

There are is a picture of a jeep driving down a river, or pond in the pine barrens. I am just looking their web site. If it's officially permitted it's sanctioned and the state is taking money. This isn't conjecture, it's based on what they are promoting. They're meeting at Batsto and the Fire Tower. My question is, not necessarily to you, how does a permit get issued for a bunch of jeeps to drive through sensitive areas and yet they are still considering closing 50% of the roads in Wharton to taxpayers via MAPS?

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
The conjecture is they will be taking a bunch of jeeps into an area which they shouldn't. The Superintendent will be reviewing/approving the route before issuing any permits, which will ensure the route only includes roads that are open to the public, that will be able to handle the traffic. I highly doubt Rob will be allowing anyone to take a run through 1/4 mile or climb jemima mt.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The conjecture is they will be taking a bunch of jeeps into an area which they shouldn't. The Superintendent will be reviewing/approving the route before issuing any permits, which will ensure the route only includes roads that are open to the public, that will be able to handle the traffic. I highly doubt Rob will be allowing anyone to take a run through 1/4 mile or climb jemima mt.

The pictures from last year look to me like a bunch of jeeps driving through steams and sensitive areas:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.420052058764.209985.143647533764&type=3
The state is possibly still going to shut down 50% of roads in Wharton to the people that live here. I'm perceiving a disconnect between these photos and the MAPS program. Ordinary taxpayers may be banned from much of Wharton but paying customers from across the country can drive through wet areas? I think Al Horner has a good point.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
The pictures from last year look to me like a bunch of jeeps driving through steams and sensitive areas:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.420052058764.209985.143647533764&type=3
The state is possibly still going to shut down 50% of roads in Wharton to the people that live here. I'm perceiving a disconnect between these photos and the MAPS program. Ordinary taxpayers may be banned from much of Wharton but paying customers from across the country can drive through wet areas? I think Al Horner has a good point.

You do realize that the post you are referring to is from 2010 or earlier? Jeep Jamboree pays a permit fee and as of Sept 2015, they were still waiting for it to be approved by Wharton. I guess they got it back and it was approved. They have to set a route as part of that permit application, so I am sure they are aware of the areas that are allowed and not.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You do realize that the post you are referring to is from 2010 or earlier? Jeep Jamboree pays a permit fee and as of Sept 2015, they were still waiting for it to be approved by Wharton. I guess they got it back and it was approved. They have to set a route as part of that permit application, so I am sure they are aware of the areas that are allowed and not.

I found the photo link on the Jeep Jamboree for this year: "22ND PINE BARRENS 2016, HAMMONTON, NEW JERSEY, MARCH 17 – 19
https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/pine-barrens/
That's what they are promoting so it would appear that's what they're going to do. I understand it was approved. That is exactly my point.