Jeep Jamboree 2016 – WOW! IT IS FINALLY COMING!!!!!

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Remember where Al is coming from, he and his group are preservationists - they want to keep people out to protect the forest.

Perhaps you should give Rob a call, I'm sure he could provide some detail on what criteria he used to approve the route. The MAP closures were put on hold, so the roads proposed to be closed are still open. One is bound to come across a puddle occasionally in Wharton, even on the well maintained roads, and unless one subscribes to the "every puddle is an endangered vernal pool" theory, it's probably not much of an issue. Responsible usage would suggest the organizers and Rob would have worked together to find a route that is acceptable with out putting the the forest at risk.

I think that how it's supposed to work, if we all really want to get along

Reactions: JennyD and bobpbx

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I found the photo link on the Jeep Jamboree for this year: "22ND PINE BARRENS 2016, HAMMONTON, NEW JERSEY, MARCH 17 – 19
https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/pine-barrens/
That's what they are promoting so it would appear that's what they're going to do. I understand it was approved. That is exactly my point.
In your prior post, you said the pictures from last year. I wanted to show that the Jeep Jamboree has not been here for more than a few years. You do realize that it has rained here lately and there are puddle on main roads that will cause vehicles to get muddy. Their venture through Wharton may only involve main roads that are not in wetland/sensitive areas because I am sure that the sensitive areas are forbidden. It is also a marketing ploy to get people to participate.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
In your prior post, you said the pictures from last year. I wanted to show that the Jeep Jamboree has not been here for more than a few years. You do realize that it has rained here lately and there are puddle on main roads that will cause vehicles to get muddy. Their venture through Wharton may only involve main roads that are not in wetland/sensitive areas because I am sure that the sensitive areas are forbidden. It is also a marketing ploy to get people to participate.
I said the photos are linked to the current Jamboree home page. They show Jeeps driving through what appear to be puddles but also streams in the Pine Barrens. I want to be able to drive down roads so I can hike into wild areas, so I guess differ with Al there. But I am also against a fleet of 4x4's driving through rivers. Maybe it is as you say. But I don't have time to call the Superintendent to confirm the Jamboree itinerary. And if I don't believe him I guess I would have to trail behind the Jeeps for two days and track their route? The Jamboree website shows pictures of, and discusses 4x4's driving through Pine Barren streams, so I'll take that as the final word.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I said the photos are linked to the current Jamboree home page. They show Jeeps driving through what appear to be puddles but also streams in the Pine Barrens. I want to be able to drive down roads so I can hike into wild areas, so I guess differ with Al there. But I am also against a fleet of 4x4's driving through rivers. Maybe it is as you say. But I don't have time to call the Superintendent to confirm the Jamboree itinerary. And if I don't believe him I guess I would have to trail behind the Jeeps for two days and track their route? The Jamboree website shows pictures of, and discusses 4x4's driving through Pine Barren streams, so I'll take that as the final word.
No Jon you did not. You said "The pictures from last year look to me like a bunch of jeeps driving through steams and sensitive areas:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.420052058764.209985.143647533764&type=3
The state is possibly still going to shut down 50% of roads in Wharton to the people that live here. I'm perceiving a disconnect between these photos and the MAPS program. Ordinary taxpayers may be banned from much of Wharton but paying customers from across the country can drive through wet areas? I think Al Horner has a good point."
That, to me, differs than what you posted last on here. They are from 2010 and the is the last time they were here and posted. And maybe you are not seeing that may be a cut and paste feature they (jeep Jamboree) use for the FAQ section and they don't delete phrases because I am fairly certain that there are no boulders to negotiate out there, and that is in the same sentence as stream crossings. I really don't know but I want to be able to drive through the Pine Barrens too and enjoy nature and the peacefulness of being out there.
I suggest any questions about the Jeep Jamboree be directed to the contact person on their site.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey

And that is the exact ill-informed response for which Al and the PPA hope.

While we all have a different ideal of how we would like to see MAP mess end, it is important that we work together to ensure responsible usage of the forest is allowed. We need to accept that we may not be in full agreement with some others in the fight to keep the forest open, we must be respectful of other lawful activities and not give up the fight the minute we feel our own personal objectives have been obtained. If we work together, we stand a chance, otherwise we are doomed.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
And that is the exact ill-informed response for which Al and the PPA hope.

While we all have a different ideal of how we would like to see MAP mess end, it is important that we work together to ensure responsible usage of the forest is allowed. We need to accept that we may not be in full agreement with some others in the fight to keep the forest open, we must be respectful of other lawful activities and not give up the fight the minute we feel our own personal objectives have been obtained. If we work together, we stand a chance, otherwise we are doomed.
Ill-informed? The Jamboree website clearly shows exactly what I said. Apparently you don't like my opinion. Which is okay.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
This is getting tedious brother. Here is the link to this year's Jamboree page, and with the photos link on the page:

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/pine-barrens/

I agree and this is how I know the information I noted in my previous post. I read it and that is why I wrote what I did. If you interpreted it differently then so be it, I cannot help those who cannot help themselves.

Reactions: 46er

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I agree and this is how I know the information I noted in my previous post. I read it and that is why I wrote what I did. If you interpreted it differently then so be it, I cannot help those who cannot help themselves.
There is no reference to boulders on the link I posted. You are talking about FAQ. I'm not. And there are no pictures of boulders in the pictures on that page. Which are of the Pine Barrens.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Ill-informed? The Jamboree website clearly shows exactly what I said. Apparently you don't like my opinion. Which is okay.

Yes, ill-informed. Assumptions are being made to come to the conclusion you do. We don't know the route, we don't know how much private property is involved, we don't know the details behind any of the pictures you linked to were taken, nor what they mean when they say mud/water. I've seen beaver dams cause well maintained roads to flood, looks just like the picture with the red jeep in your link - the road covers by a few inches of water, but by all means passible, even with out a 4x4. What if they have access to private land and are building a mud pit specifically for this event?

Personally, I am not crazy about this event occurring this year. The last thing we need is to give the PPA something to rally around and draw attention, but at the same time, I haven't seen anything that suggest the Jeep people are trying to do anything they are not allowed. I'm going to trust the organizers of the event (who must be familiar with land access issues) and the Forest Service to ensure this event is held in a legal, responsible way.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: 46er

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
There is no reference to boulders on the link I posted. You are talking about FAQ. I'm not. And there are no pictures of boulders in the pictures on that page. Which are of the Pine Barrens.

And there are two pics of Jeep driving through water and many more on the FB link from that page. I did say I was referring to the FAQ section in my earlier post. I never said there were pictures of boulders, I was referring to the FAQ section about streams because that is the word you used. Guess I should have realized you were referring to the water crossings words used in the description on that page and not the FAQ page. I never said any of the pictures were NOT in the Pine Barrens, so I am unsure what your point is.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Yes, ill-informed. Assumptions are being made to come to the conclusion you do. We don't know the route, we don't know how much private property is involved, we don't know the details behind any of the pictures you linked to were taken, nor what they mean when they say mud/water. I've seen never dams cause well maintained roads to flood, looks just like the picture with the red jeep in your link - the road covers by a few inches of water, but by all means passible, even with out a 4x4. What if they have access to private land and are building a mud pit specifically for this event?

Personally, I am not crazy about this event occurring this year. The last thing we need is to give the PPA something to rally around and draw attention, but at the same time, I haven't seen anything that suggest the Jeep people are trying to do anything they are not allowed. I'm going to trust the organizers of the event (who must be familiar with land access issues) and the Forest Service to ensure this event is held in a legal, responsible way.

I agree that is an ill timed event with all the MAP discussions. Hopefully it does generate a lot of local revenue.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Yes, ill-informed. Assumptions are being made to come to the conclusion you do. We don't know the route, we don't know how much private property is involved, we don't know the details behind any of the pictures you linked to were taken, nor what they mean when they say mud/water. I've seen never dams cause well maintained roads to flood, looks just like the picture with the red jeep in your link - the road covers by a few inches of water, but by all means passible, even with out a 4x4. What if they have access to private land and are building a mud pit specifically for this event?
Tsqurd and Popeofthepines, my opinion is based on information gleaned from the Jamboree website. Not supposition or assumption. I am exiting this discussion now.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Tsqurd and Popeofthepines, my opinion is based on information gleaned from the Jamboree website. Not supposition or assumption. I am exiting this discussion now.

While I am glad you were able to glean the information off the site, I was trying to point out that you may have misconstrued the information, in my opinion. Have a nice day. :dance:

Reactions: 46er and tsqurd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

It could also be an excellent opportunity to show how responsible folks enjoy Wharton. Just need to get the Jamboree big wigs aware of the issues going on; it's in their best interest to make a good impression and to display it in the local media. You know the PPA will be doing just the opposite.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I'm not crazy about this event either. Having dozens of jeeps with mud throwing tires rolling thru roads of which some are already in poor shape and flooded, is not going to improve road conditions and only provide more reasons to limit access to roads. Similar activities, either by groups or individuals, is the reason why so many of the roads are not able to be traveled unless you have your own monster truck. Many of the roads I traveled 40+ years ago in a 2-wheel drive vehicle have been ruined by similar activities and either thru the MAP or this type of behavior my own access to the piney roads is shrinking.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
"roads I traveled 40+ years ago in a 2-wheel drive vehicle have been ruined"

ANY road, asphalt, concrete, gravel or sand that is not maintained will deteriorate. Heard about the Transportation Trust Fund being BROKE at the end of the fiscal year? That's what pays to keep highways and bridges from crumbling. I'm sure a sand road in the woods is not a priority.
Are the sand roads in the Pines abused? Yes BUT, not by all that use them. Enforce the existing laws and DO NOT tell me there's not enough manpower.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It should be interesting to see how this outing goes.