Jeeps

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When my moms sister died her husband gave my mom some old photo's that may have been from her sisters collection or maybe my grandfathers. In any event, we don't know who owned the Jeeps in the photo and who the person is, but it is an interesting photo that some of you may enjoy seeing.

jeeps.jpg

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The jeep on the right is a late 40s Willys Cj-2a. If you look closely you can just make out the two piece windshield and the name Willys on the windshield frame. Flatfenders are the the baddest! I think that is an ax leaning against the green jeep by the back tire. Maybe this is a picture from a camping trip.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I think Gibby is correct. The Jeep on the right looks to be a CJ-2A, produced from 45-49. The one on the left is a CJ-3A, produced from 49-53. The giveaway on the CJ-3A is the small vent below the windshield. Both are awesome and thanks for the pic. Flatfenders for life!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tonight I will send a link to the full size photo where you can see more detail.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Cool pictures! It’s such a shame that simple, rugged, easily maintained vehicles like these are not available anymore. Now the major selling points seem to be how much useless, malfunction-prone crap can be loaded into a truck, which serves mostly to increase the price while adding very few functional advantages.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Cool pictures! It’s such a shame that simple, rugged, easily maintained vehicles like these are not available anymore. Now the major selling points seem to be how much useless, malfunction-prone crap can be loaded into a truck, which serves mostly to increase the price while adding very few functional advantages.

They are still out there. Every once in a while one comes up on 'Bring a trailer', like this '48 Willys pickup, which seems like a pretty good buy. But many are priced more than a modern truck :eek:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/10/10/bat-exclusive-1948-willys-overland-pick-up/

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Mucksavage, that is a great photo too. The deer slayer bumper, white wall tires and pirated hood ornaments are terrific. I see a 50s Buick "gunsite" ornament between two Mack Truck Bulldogs. I can't see enough detail to identify the badge hanging from the top of the grill. Good stuff in these two photographs! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a great photo. The Mack Bulldog is a popular hood ornament.

67a.jpg

Guy

Reactions: Gibby

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, is that your Toyota?? Man, that thing looks like it could take on anything and WIN!! :cool:

No....that Land Cruiser was owned by a friend of mine. He is on the right in the below photo. His was a 1972 FJ40 which had the bench seat in the front. He put in a posi rear and since it was a three speed he added an overdrive because he traveled to State College Pennsylvania often. He purchased it new and right after doing so he was in a motorcycle accident so his mom used it for the first 6 months he had it. I met him on May 6, 1973 when I applied for a job at the local gas station near my home. Both of them in the photo were instrumental in started me on my exploring of the pines. They were fanatics on exploring and camping on the Forked River Mountains and I spent many years doing so with them. I have not talked to the owner in years but the man on the left told me recently that the vehicle was still around but rarely used and in bad shape.

68.JPG

The man on the left took me to look at the first Land Cruiser I purchased. It was a 1973 FJ40 which then had the bucket seats instead of the bench in the 1972. I purchased it the last week of March 1975. The 1974 Land Cruisers were the first with the square lights and the 4 speed.

My 73 on an unknown bridge somewhere in the pines. Notice how nice and new that bridge is. You don't see that much anymore.

LC.jpg

The 1973 FJ40s shared exhaust ports and the valves were constantly burning. Working at the gas station I rebuilt the engine twice and finally added headers to it which solved the burning problem. The problem was anyone within a mile of me knew I was coming but it was an awesome sound. Eventually, I ran that into the ground from my constant pines driving, so I purchased a 1978 new from Cherry Hill Toyota. It cost me $8200 and I had to have my mom co-sign.

WheelInAir.jpg

344.JPG

The 78 had the double walk in doors in the back making it easier to get in an out of, and it had the 2F engine which was a big improvement over the F engine. However, Toyota was never able to get over the rusting problem, and by the time my girls were young I was getting concerned about the fumes that would come in the vehicle when I stopped. So I ended my FJ40 ownership by selling it to a girl from Turnersville for around $1200. I gave her every single piece of equipment I had ever purchased for it except the adjustable wrench. All these years later I use it everyday at work as a reminder of my Land Cruiser ownership days.

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Awesome old photos, Guy! Thanx for sharing.

Old Coleman tent and stove with enough gas to last a month!!! And a little traction problem with your '78? :D

John-

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Any icing problems with the propane lines and tank feeding the grill in the cold? Winter camping brings along a few challenges, if you know what I mean.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, Is that a Warn 8274? As my dad always said "It's the winch by which all others are judged"

Yes it was. However, mine did not come with the rollers in the front for some reason. All it came with was a thick tapered metal bracket which was not as nice.

I purchased it from an off-road place in Hainesport on Marne Highway. It cost me $500 which was quite a bit of money for me back then. I went to Red Lion Welding and I had them cut me a piece of 1/4 thick steel to mount it on the bumper. There was an old man in the development where I lived who was a retired welder, and I took the bumper off and gave it to him with the plate which he welded on for $5. When I sold my 1973 FJ40 I just switched bumpers with my new 1978 and was good to go again.

Unfortunately, the Warn winch has a problem with water getting into the brushes, and in the photo with the pipe the winch would not work. It was freezing cold and much of it was under water and I had to take it apart and repair it right there. I found this photo online of the brushes.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/Dcp_3880.jpg

Pondering the non working winch.

313.JPG

Guy