Jersey Devil Goes to Hollywood

J

JeffD

On Oct. 25, 13TH CHILD: LEGEND OF THE JERSEY DEVIL will be released at theatres in New Jersey. http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/t/13thchild.php

I first heard about the Jersey Devil decades ago. The myth lives on. It's about time someone made a movie about it, especially right before Halloween. So they're talking about it on this website and in the movies. Perfect timing! :D

Let the legend live on as well as the mysterious wildlands in the Pine Barrens. Let's hope the Jersey Devil scares away developers. I just hope, though, that this boogeyman is not co-opted by environmental groups of the wilderness cult ilk. I want to have access to these scary areas, just as I'd like to hunt for snarks and the place where giant frogs can be fished out. :wink: Truthfully, I'm more afraid of some environmentalists than I am of the Jersey Devil. :roll: But that's another subject.

Halloween is near, and it's good the Jersey Devil is included in the festivities.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I just watched the trailer at their site - http://www.13thchild.com - it looks like it'd be a pretty decent movie. I just wonder how much of the legend they mangled to make it into a Hollywood-style movie. I'd much prefer to see something along the lines of the Blair Witch Project done in the Pine Barrens.

Still, it should be interesting to go and watch!

PS: Jeff, how do you like the forums? It has a few more options than the other one does... :)

J

JeffD

Hollywood Jersey Devil

I didn't get to see the trailer; it wouldn't come up. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I've had trouble opening files so I defragmented the computer for the first time.

It would be interesting to see how the film is done. It would be nice if it were done in a way to capture the true nature of the beast, so to speak, much like THE UNTOUCHABLES, the one with Sean Connery.

I like the forum and the site, Ben. I'll have more to say on it later.

I spoke too soon. I tried logging on after I replied and I couldn't get on, creating a good deal of frustration for this technophobe. It's good I saved what I had written just in case I ended up getting booted out, which I did. I logged on an an earlier point. Making this things user friendly is a key to getting more folks on. Except for that which I experienced, I found so far that a technologically dumb liberal arts type (myself) can readily use this site. I'll put it this way: when Bill Gates decided to design a system so that everyone could use it, he must have looked into his crystal ball to find the lowest common denominator--me.

If I can get around (like the Beach Boys), then anyone can.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Great job on the story. Thanks

I talk to a man at work about computers, and I told him about our arrangements, and I mentioned your site. He checked it out last night and found your story on Asbury Park very interesting. He said that the B&W photo was a little hard to view. Do you have any in color you could add?

It is nice to see Jeff here also.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just checked out the artice and the B&W photo's look fine. I am stumped as to why he thought that.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hollywood Jersey Devil

JeffD said:
I spoke too soon. I tried logging on after I replied and I couldn't get on, creating a good deal of frustration for this technophobe. It's good I saved what I had written just in case I ended up getting booted out, which I did. I logged on an an earlier point. Making this things user friendly is a key to getting more folks on. Except for that which I experienced, I found so far that a technologically dumb liberal arts type (myself) can readily use this site. I'll put it this way: when Bill Gates decided to design a system so that everyone could use it, he must have looked into his crystal ball to find the lowest common denominator--me.

If I can get around (like the Beach Boys), then anyone can.

I'm not quite sure what the problem could have been. I'm assuming that you tried to post and it yelled at you and said you weren't logged in? There's a setting that I changed which might fix that. I guess with the more use the forums get the easier it will be for us to flesh out the bugs.

Let me know if you keep having problems.

Regarding liberal arts types, I started college as a Comp Sci major, but changed to English when I decided that I hated programming. This was back before web programming was taught in school, so maybe if I had access to those classes, I would have stayed. Regardless, I work in computers now, but my hobbies are writing and photography. So don't sell the liberal arts degree short. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
I just checked out the artice and the B&W photo's look fine. I am stumped as to why he thought that.

Guy

Maybe his screen is set to a low resolution (640x480) or maybe his monitor is set too bright? For the most part, I shoot black & white on my 35mm camera, and color with my digital. There's some color shots here and there that are from my 35mm in the galleries, though.

All of the Asbury Park stuff was shot on 35mm Ilsford B&W film. Good film, too.

J

JeffD

Everything seems to be AOK now, Ben. Liberal arts is great for certain things. But when it comes to certain practical things such as getting technical things to work so a message is communicated requires another kind of talent(if a tree falls in a forest and noone hears it does it make a sound?). Some folks, called renassiance men, have a mind for both. In his book, THE ROAD AHEAD, Bill Gates said his hero is Leonardo da Vinci. If he were around today, da Vinci could have majored in engineering, computer science, etc. or liberal arts or both. I bet he could have designed a good web sight and could have painted a great picture of the Jersey Devil!