Just 0 days...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 46er, Sep 9, 2017.

1. 46er

46er Piney

Has to be a hardside. Some NPS campgrounds we would like to get to out west do not allow soft sides/tents.

We were considering the A-Liner A frame with hard sides, but want to keep it simple. But it would be nice to have an inside toilet :)

2. 46er

46er Piney

We had a similar experience on our first trip to Yellowstone in the mid 70's. We were tent camping and looked over the maps one night, found this road that looped behind a mountain, Bunsen Peak, to a waterfall and decided to take it the next day. As I recall, about a half hour in the switchbacks started, they weren't on the map :eek:. No place to turn around, so forward, backward several times for each turn while getting expert advice from my hysterical wife. We got to the waterfall, Osprey Falls, had a Lynx run in front of the car, BTW we were driving a 1972 Monte Carlo and saw some great scenery. Came out the other end unscathed. The road/trail/path exited into the NPS employee site and we got the strangest looks, one guy pulled us over and asked where we came from, so I told him NJ :D Shook his head and told us the road was an old Jeep trail, which we had found out. On a later trip we walked what we had driven; there were now signs saying no vehicles; I guess others had done the same thing. :rolleyes: Sometime, just sometimes, doing stupid stuff makes for good memories. But just sometimes.

manumuskin likes this.
  3. ecampbell

ecampbell Piney

This happened to me with a horse trailer at the Lower Bank Bridge coming from the south. I didn't know about the clearance until I was up to it. Backed into a parking spot, unhitched, turned the truck around , re-hitched and drove off.

manumuskin likes this.
  4. 46er

46er Piney

:cool:

NJChileHead and manumuskin like this.
  5. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

John is the man! I love this song even though it is a bit geographically off.The Shenandoah River and Blue Ridge mountains only run through about 20 miles of the WV Panhandle.They rightfully belong more to Va. then WV. I think i would have used Allegheny Mountains and Monongalia River but then I"m a geo nerd:)

NJChileHead likes this.
  6. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

Luckily you had a parking spot to back into:)

7. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

My wife woulda been spastic as well,so would I.

8. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

Thats is what we were thinking about, a pop up till Momma got these two monstrous canines.Now we need a home on wheels.It's a 13,000 dollar doghouse.

9. enormiss

enormiss Explorer

10. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I"ve watched videos of Shafer Trail while looking for scenic drives on our trip west next year.The trip looks hairy enough for me in a Nissan Xterra.I can't imagine the white knuckles on that driver.I"ve been aerial surfing campsites in WV just now seeing if and where there are areas I can turn around in near the dispersed sites I"m headed for.

11. 46er

46er Piney

Head out to Ouray CO and the San Juans :eek: There are a ton of them in the Telluride/Ouray/Silverton area, lots of abandoned mines along the way. ;)

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

manumuskin likes this.
  12. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I think I"ll just walk that one:)

13. 46er

46er Piney

My son used to drive cross country. I recall a phone call from him one late night asking me to check on some roads. He was on his third trip on a road off the Cumberland Gap Pkwy in KY, with inches between his tires and a drop-off and had been that way for some time. His required to use company GPS put him there. He stopped at some guys house who told him he gets semi's stopping all the time. Last time he used the GPS. It took him some time but he got to the delivery a bit late. He had some interesting stories to share over the time he drove :eek:

14. ecampbell

ecampbell Piney

You must research your route! Onstar is awful, I use my Garmin 450 and chose the right way.

15. 46er

46er Piney

Will have to try and get to this;

[​IMG]

16. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator

17. 46er

46er Piney

I remember seeing that movie as a kid; Dewitt Theater, Bayonne, NJ :D

18. NJChileHead

NJChileHead Explorer

We've been looking at campsites recently, many of the online reviews of that campground range from lukewarm to downright bad. Shame.

#38 NJChileHead, Sep 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 8:09 AM
  19. old jersey girl

"bad decisions make good stories" if you live!

20. old jersey girl

I had a Westfalia pop-top camper for a few years. Great camper with horrible VW later water-cooled engine.
    I'm now planning to get either an older Subaru Outback or strip a Dodge Caravan and build my own stealth camper. Only need room for me and the dog and I'm short.