Just 0 days...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am so afraid I am going top wind up some where on a dirt road in the mountains and for some reason have to turn around.What do you do on a mountain road with a 22 ft camper and you have to turn around?

We had a similar experience on our first trip to Yellowstone in the mid 70's. We were tent camping and looked over the maps one night, found this road that looped behind a mountain, Bunsen Peak, to a waterfall and decided to take it the next day. As I recall, about a half hour in the switchbacks started, they weren't on the map :eek:. No place to turn around, so forward, backward several times for each turn while getting expert advice from my hysterical wife. We got to the waterfall, Osprey Falls, had a Lynx run in front of the car, BTW we were driving a 1972 Monte Carlo and saw some great scenery. Came out the other end unscathed. The road/trail/path exited into the NPS employee site and we got the strangest looks, one guy pulled us over and asked where we came from, so I told him NJ :D Shook his head and told us the road was an old Jeep trail, which we had found out. On a later trip we walked what we had driven; there were now signs saying no vehicles; I guess others had done the same thing. :rolleyes: Sometime, just sometimes, doing stupid stuff makes for good memories. But just sometimes.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This would be a much easier haul.I am so afraid I am going top wind up some where on a dirt road in the mountains and for some reason have to turn around.What do you do on a mountain road with a 22 ft camper and you have to turn around? I could actually drop this camper,pick up the tongue and whel it around 180 myself.then turn around and pick it back up:)
This happened to me with a horse trailer at the Lower Bank Bridge coming from the south. I didn't know about the clearance until I was up to it. Backed into a parking spot, unhitched, turned the truck around , re-hitched and drove off.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We had a similar experience on our first trip to Yellowstone in the mid 70's. We were tent camping and looked over the maps one night, found this road that looped behind a mountain, Bunsen Peak, to a waterfall and decided to take it the next day. As I recall, about a half hour in the switchbacks started, they weren't on the map :eek:. No place to turn around, so forward, backward several times for each turn while getting expert advice from my hysterical wife. We got to the waterfall, Osprey Falls, had a Lynx run in front of the car, BTW we were driving a 1972 Monte Carlo and saw some great scenery. Came out the other end unscathed. The road/trail/path exited into the NPS employee site and we got the strangest looks, one guy pulled us over and asked where we came from, so I told him NJ :D Shook his head and told us the road was an old Jeep trail, which we had found out. On a later trip we walked what we had driven; there were now signs saying no vehicles; I guess others had done the same thing. :rolleyes: Sometime, just sometimes, doing stupid stuff makes for good memories. But just sometimes.
My wife woulda been spastic as well,so would I.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Looks similar to the Tab trailer. If all you're looking for is a place to sleep that's off the ground and not a tent, it's perfect. Also, pop-ups are worth considering for their size and weight.

If money is no object, consider an A-Liner.
Thats is what we were thinking about, a pop up till Momma got these two monstrous canines.Now we need a home on wheels.It's a 13,000 dollar doghouse.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ve watched videos of Shafer Trail while looking for scenic drives on our trip west next year.The trip looks hairy enough for me in a Nissan Xterra.I can't imagine the white knuckles on that driver.I"ve been aerial surfing campsites in WV just now seeing if and where there are areas I can turn around in near the dispersed sites I"m headed for.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

My son used to drive cross country. I recall a phone call from him one late night asking me to check on some roads. He was on his third trip on a road off the Cumberland Gap Pkwy in KY, with inches between his tires and a drop-off and had been that way for some time. His required to use company GPS put him there. He stopped at some guys house who told him he gets semi's stopping all the time. Last time he used the GPS. It took him some time but he got to the delivery a bit late. He had some interesting stories to share over the time he drove :eek:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You must research your route! Onstar is awful, I use my Garmin 450 and chose the right way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Will have to try and get to this;

166236400.jpg

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I remember that too. I can't recall the year, otherwise I could tell you who was there besides Guy and I. They used to let us use the grove behind the rec hall next to the stream. Last year they absolutely insisted we sit at the rec hall. This really annoyed me since we were using the grove for the past 11 years! They gave no reason, and refused to hear that we never created a problem, cleaned up after ourselves, and left around 10 PM at the latest.

We've been looking at campsites recently, many of the online reviews of that campground range from lukewarm to downright bad. Shame.

Last edited:

"bad decisions make good stories" if you live!