Just an observation (Rt. 539)

bigw00dy

Scout
Apr 10, 2008
www.kiddshow.com
I drive from Little Egg Harbor to Moorestown everyday, for the last 6 years. I recently noticed something out in the pines that I don' tthink I have seen before. While heading on Rt. 539 toward Rt. 72, its not to far from Bombing Range Rd. Its pass bombing range rd, then you pass a little building on the left (the one with the door missing, about an 8'x8' shed) A few hundred yards after the little building on the left, is a road/path cut in on the left. When you look down that road, there looks to be 2 white/silver mobile homes down the path about 500' or so???? My father said he seems to think they have been out there over a year. I just noticed them recently.

Does anyone know what that is all about? I wouldn't think someone would be allowed to set up permanent residence there?

I would take a picture, but its usually dark when I drove that part. I leave at about 545am and dont return till about 825pm. Long days!

Thanks

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I drive from Little Egg Harbor to Moorestown everyday, for the last 6 years. I recently noticed something out in the pines that I don' tthink I have seen before. While heading on Rt. 539 toward Rt. 72, its not to far from Bombing Range Rd. Its pass bombing range rd, then you pass a little building on the left (the one with the door missing, about an 8'x8' shed) A few hundred yards after the little building on the left, is a road/path cut in on the left. When you look down that road, there looks to be 2 white/silver mobile homes down the path about 500' or so???? My father said he seems to think they have been out there over a year. I just noticed them recently.

Does anyone know what that is all about? I wouldn't think someone would be allowed to set up permanent residence there?

I would take a picture, but its usually dark when I drove that part. I leave at about 545am and dont return till about 825pm. Long days!

Thanks

I know the man that owns that. He owns the property also. He is a nice guy, and often comes and checks on it or even stays the weekend.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
He is on this forum and I will leave it up to him to let you know. It is a trailer and a van, not mobile homes. I stopped there the other day and yelled in but no one was around. I walk my dogs there every few weeks. I kind of think of him as an environmental steward for the area. Nothing illegal going on there.

I took this pic there on Monday. Full

3813246263_b7c04c6375.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He gets approached by the police and he has to keep proof he owns the property :)

Guy

bigw00dy

Scout
Apr 10, 2008
www.kiddshow.com
Yeah, I figured you guys would would have the scoop...No big deal. I would never stop anywho since I am always chasing time. But I will think twice if I ever pull over in that area to dehydrate...(if you see a bright blue yota, don't scare me too bad :) )

Kinda neat though...I would never think that some one could own property there. I know there is a gunning club nearby though.
Thanks again

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Hello

I am sorry I did not hear the Pancoast Drifter. I may have been out with my family hiking or such.

I am the owner of the property on two side of this road.

Nothing illegal in my using the property as I have to my knowledge.

I have recently received a few contacts via phone by the LEHT police. Someone has reported the trailer abandoned and as well atv's. I do not own nor ride atv's nor anyone I have provided permission to be on the property. I purchased it soon after the 07 fire. I cleaned lots of trash from there.

The police have gone onto the property without my permission and investigated and reported that nothing illegal was occurring there.

I have spent a substantial amount of time cleaning up the area roads surrounding the property including the pits just north of bombing range road.

The lots are identified as unbuildable not that they cannot be used as I have.

My intent is to keep it as a preserve (east plains preserve) and natural retreat for myself and friends. Some may use it as a staging point for hunting this year again.

I had been frequently photographing the area but lately have been a bit busy elsewhere.

I have asked the state for assistance in cleaning up the pit area and they have such severe cutbacks nothing yet has been officially done. However, nearby the pit 2-3 acres of an area has been used- (as well some cleared with a weed wacker, etc) as a place to have war games with airsoft guns.

AS well some continue to shoot various weapons around the pit area. I swear one day shots wizzed by me on my property. I did investigate and found some recently discharged casings up by the pit closer to my area. I think were from a AK as it sounded like such to me.

Today someone attempted to want to fight with me and then decided as he approached not to do that. But then tried to run me over with his ATV today after becoming angry that as I was exiting my property I was blocking the road heading west. I have notified the police. But little can be done without having a way to track the vehicle, no plates etc.

The second person behind him was much more polite and understanding that ATV's do not belong on these roads and certainly not on my property she retreated across 539 peacefully. Although in the recent past someone has opened the gates and driven onto my property, then closed the gates. As well someone walks in there all the time.

As well recently someone with a large truck has been chewing up the several large vernal pools on the road. These pools are normally very filled with wildlife during these times of year. Also the pit area is being torn up more as well. The state is to close that area as it is part of the Brom Crowberry Project area of the East Plains.

If you would like to send me a message I will respond with my phone number. As well my number is listed on the signs located at the entrance to the property.

I do not live there yet. Certainly if the economy keeps going down.....I may become a non native piney......

Wish everyone well keep up the great photos and explorations.I read them and wish I was able to participate.

Perhaps someday soon I will.

Mike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry to hear you are having so much problem there Mike. Bob and I were looking at your place a few weeks back from 539 and I was thinking that it must be a problem keeping people off. I am sorry I did not get to meet you the day Bob did. I had left earlier.

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
FYI Mike, I respect your privacy and have never gone past the gate. The locals are very pernicious and I would suspect the growing teenage population, the same crowd that trashes the Preserve. Phoenix sand pit has had a rash of vandalism to their equipment on weekends and kids riding on their sand piles. I also noticed the pit on range road torn up and there has been an increase in ATV's on Sims place all the way down to the lakes at Stafford Forge.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I was under the impression that the dirt road going back there was an easement and the private property was on the two sides of the dirt road. I've gone back there a few times but not recently. I would never go through that gated area, but Im curious if I've been trespassing the few times I've gone back there. I thought the same about the bombing signs further back there on the left too. Thought that meant to just stay off the left side. I apologize if I was in fact on your land. Please let me know the exact info so I dont do anything I shouldnt for future reference.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I apologize to all. I did not mean to suggest anyone here would go on my prop on purpose. Forgive me if I have insulted anyone.

Many find it hard to believe that the place was left out when the state acquired all the other land surrounding it. Shows up on the Stafford WMA map as two triangles, north and south of the road. As I said before there are other small pieces but none that I found in the plains. Phoenix has a large piece south of their main station and surrounded by state land.

The brazen acts of the folk on the motorized vehicles is something else.

Hey at least no one stole the trailer again. Nothing in there of value anyway.

I liked the photo "drifter". The naked trees all seem to have their own personality. We have given a few a name.

Puddles back that way have been mostly dry, few tadpoles this year, and blueberrys were not as abundant as last year.

I also have a new surveilance system that keeps on eye on me from the range with the new UAV they have been flying in the past few days. Some night flights occurred too. Sounds like a flying lawn mower.

http://www.app.com/article/20090810/NEWS03/90810091/1007

Phoenix I thought had someone keeping an eye on the place at off hours. I know one fellow who works as supervisor there he was really nice to stop by and visit name was Bob W.

Not sure what I was doing when you visited just beep the horn next time....oh and watch out for the AK's by the pit.

Wish you all well !

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Absolutely correct somehow someone is going to be injured with this illegal shooting occurring.

Law enforcement is aware of the locations where there is active shooting occurring. Some individuals have been caught there and let go. Some have had weapons confiscated.

The NJ DEP is aware as well as NJ Conservation officers.

Each report I have made seems to lead to more questions of why I am in the pines.

DEP could place signs and prevent vehicle access to stop these issues but fail to do so. I have written to a DEP person who sent me to NJ Conservation. NJ COnservation became more concerned about me and why I may be in the area and advised me to call the police.

I offered to assist in the labor for signs etc. They have not responded.

I was told by someone they witnessed the NJ State Police shooting at bullet proof vests at the pit location.

At time there is also an extensive amount of shooting occurring in the vacinity of Phoenix that I can plainly hear the direction of.

Probably one of those situations that until several people are injured or killed nothing will be done. Even then who knows if things will change.

I can say from where the targets are placed at the pit and surrounding area. It is very simple to shoot beyond the backdrop and have an errant bullet flying somewhere.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Good luck. It is no fun to have ones peace and quiet interrupted by lead. You could contact ATF to ratchet it up a notch, but that might be worse than doing nothing :D

Report Illegal Firearms Activity: 1-800-ATF-GUNS (1-800-283-4867)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I shoot at the state range just south of your area and am always upset at the amount of centerfire rifle and pistol brass I find all over the ground, which are from weapons clearly not allowed at the range. I’ve witnessed shooters firing unauthorized guns there a few times, but even if I left the site and reported them on my cell phone, my truck would likely have been recognized, and might end up with little round holes in it the next time it was there. Whether the problem is illegal shooting, dumping or off-road vehicle use, there are just too few law enforcement personnel for too much open space to combat these problems. And it looks like that problem is only going to get worse.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
dumping

I've been thinking lately that technology, in the form of strategically placed, inexpensive cameras, could easily put a dent in dumping. Whats good for EZ Pass and towns giving automatic tickets could serve the Pines. I would contribute to a project to ID the best locations and install the equipment. Too big brother-ish? maybe, but could be effective. I'm sure some have discussed this before.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I agree that is going too far. Although, i suppose just putting cameras at known dump sites would not infringe too much on our sense of freedom and privacy, it would set a bad precedent.