Just an observation (Rt. 539)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I can see just the suggestion of one giving some people pause. They can't prove there isn't one they cannot see. If just the sign stops 25% of the dumpers it is worth it.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
agree with bobpbx.

I noticed new anti-dumping signs at the start of the two roads off medford-jackson rd (across from the wildlife refuge). I wonder if they would be more effective if they warned of cameras (whether there were any or not). There is fresh dumping there - looks like building material.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Frankly, those "no dumping" signs make me chuckle. They imply it would be OK to dump stuff anywhere else. Anyone who is enough of an a-hole to dump stuff in the woods is certainly not going to respect a sign.

And stuff is dumped just about everywhere, you would need a LOT of cameras. I saw a whole living room's worth of furniture right dumped at the side of a major road near Vineland a few days ago and have seen the same right on route 50.

I wish something could be done, but just don't know what it would be.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Post signs offering a reward for information leading to apprehesion. Its something the various organizations could do, the state is too broke. The promise of money is a great motivator..

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
signs

I'm reminded of the Tesla song... you must do a lot of chuckling :rofl:

I think signs that warn of consequence do something, little, but something -- every get a ticket in a construction zone?

I think there are certain dumping area attributes such as access, lighting, proximity to ?X, etc. - I too see stuff all over the place, but there are definitely dumping hot spots. If there was a way to make a heat map of dumping over time, I think we might be surprised by the relatively few or concentrated spots that are really "hot" (eps given the size of the Pine Barrens). I don't see much heavy dumping along foot trails vs. sand roads - maybe a few license plate level, motion detecting still cameras - say from 10pm to 5am - no signs needed.

just my 2 cents

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I might have agreed with that at one time, but after the big fire at Warren Grove it was just amazing to see how much trash was hidden all over that area that you wouldn't normally notice.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
maybe a few license plate level, motion detecting still cameras - say from 10pm to 5am

Who is going to purchase, maintain and monitor those cameras? Who is going to investigate whatever they capture? Who is going to bring them to court and will they prevail? Why not just hire a few extra rangers to patrol more frequently?

I have to agree with 46er, "They'd last as long as it took for someone to chamber a round."

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Frankly, those "no dumping" signs make me chuckle. They imply it would be OK to dump stuff anywhere else. Anyone who is enough of an a-hole to dump stuff in the woods is certainly not going to respect a sign.

And stuff is dumped just about everywhere, you would need a LOT of cameras. I saw a whole living room's worth of furniture right dumped at the side of a major road near Vineland a few days ago and have seen the same right on route 50.

I wish something could be done, but just don't know what it would be.

That is true, a sign might help diminish the amount of garbage at a known dump site but they (the A-holes) will just go to where there is not a sign and dump there, thereby creating more dumpsites.

Jeff

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I think we all have a method in place. Everyone here who travels the pines are the eyes and ears and also clean up much of the junk.

I have experimented with the camera idea and will attempt shortly to utilize it in a few areas.

Police are very helpful in responding to the shooting problem at the pit. Now don't get me wrong I love shooting myself. But I restrict it to legal locations in my home area of Pa.

The concern I have of the errant shot at the warren grove pit area is serious. There are numerous persons who hike the surrounding area and rt 539.

The recent increased vehicle and ATV traffic in the pit and east plains is also a problem.

Especially when they feel they have a right to the roadway and a legal vehicle is blocking them. Then they want to fight. Seems like a showdown is brewing.

Someone was able to clear 2 or so acres and install targets to have air soft battles there and go unnoticed. One can only wonder what occurs in other hidden areas. How I found the area is I heard a weed wacker in the early AM and went to investigate. Is the air soft shooting a problem. Perhaps environmentally these small plastic pellets will cause wildlife issues. Even perhaps those that are designed to disintergrate when wet.

Anyway we all need to keep our eyes open as we have. As it seems the pines are really owned by those of us who use it frequently and legally.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I could never understand the popularity of the paint ball thing. :rolleyes:

I kind of do. I was always into running and gunning types of outdoor games when I was a kid, and as an adult I still occasionally play multiplayer shooter games. It feeds into a deep-seated male need for conflict and adventure that most of us would much rather experience in our desk chairs :).

I have never played paintball, and I'm afraid that if I did I'd like it. But I can't possibly get cool with firing little balls of paint around the woods.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Its not paint ball. These are little plastic or biodegradable pellets the size of a BB.

It is not on my property it is near pit.

Can give details privately.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
illegal target practice is definitely a serious concern, especially if they are using semi-automatic or automatic weapons. Who uses that stuff? I came across a bunch of guys (in a hummer no-less) target practicing in the little pit between route 72 and old halfway once. I suspect these are out of towners, I know the guys I saw were.

Jeff