Just be glad you're in New Jersey!

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
http://www.nysun.com/article/63115?page_no=1

I don't drive and don't even have a non-driver ID, they make it very hard for me, a US citizen to get one. Here in NY you need a photo ID, social security card, mail with your name and address on it, bank statements and a birth certificate. It doesn't seem all that unreasonable at first, but apparently they keep rejecting my birth certificate because it was issued by the hospital I was born at (Brookhaven). They need one issued by the state.
http://www.nysdmv.com/idlicense.htm

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Yeah, they have a process now where you're allowed to present various combinations of documents in various classes, i.e. a passport is a class 1 doc, and it might be equivalent to 2 class 2 docs. You need at least three in any case.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Funny,
I just renewed my license Wednesday. It is a six point system and there are many many forms taken in levels of a 4 point, 3 point, 1 point with only certain combinations allowed. I was very prepared as I set my wife's paperwork up last year when she went. I thought it was crap at first but it really is a good gig and the license now is a tough bugger to fake. has imbedded images & such in it. They as well besides the points require a simple proof of recent address. So L.I.P., you're not so bad off, it's just a pain I know. As far as the birth cert, my mom had to procure hers from Michigan to complete this even though she has been in Jersey since an infant. Jersey has that same rejection on the birth cert as well.
All this is funny to me as since '91 my license never had a photo and through a doc screw up only listed a p.o. box. Many the officer didn't like it and I always needed my Camden County Photo I/D to get on to Fort Dix. I just renewed that last week. I would suggest a county photo I/D to anyone. They are handy and tie in a ton of info.
We're in a very trackable world baby so roll with it.
I will say to all the jersey folk, years ago DMV sucked. It has hugely improved and to all out this way, the DMV on 70 in Medford rocks!!
Very nice folks and a streamlined process that blew me right through.
Not like years gone by. That's why I started mailing everything long ago.
Stick to it L.I.P.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has hugely improved and to all out this way, the DMV on 70 in Medford rocks!!
Very nice folks and a streamlined process that blew me right through.
Not like years gone by. That's why I started mailing everything long ago.
Stick to it L.I.P.

G.

Most of them rock now. My daughter just went and had her license updated and was in and out in less than ten minutes. In all she was gone 20 minutes from the house. Much much nicer!

Guy

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I do have a state ID which is my prepaid bus/rail pass, it has my photo on it.
I also have a county photo ID. So it's not like I travel without identification.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
While they're all much better, I still make the drive to Manahawkin rather than deal with the one in Toms River. A long line in Manahawkin is 4 people.

I do the same thing Stu. I have been in Manahawkin, maybe 4 times in the past 4 years, and there was only 1 or 2 other customers in there.

The biggest improvement of all was:

a.) Putting a greeter in who tells you exactly what to do. Why the hell did we have to guess in the old days?

b.) Getting rid of the 70's style plastic chairs.

c.) Treating us like people instead of cattle.

beachbug

Jun 24, 2007
so what happens if you are homeless and need to get a state ID i wonder? I thought there was something happening a year or so ago so they could get an ID for every person when they were talking about needing an ID to vote. I'm sure one of the prized possesions of someone homeless is their SS certificate and birth certificate :rolleyes:

i just went through an arguement with my wife about getting a social security number for my son when he was born also. she was for getting one , i was against. i didn't have one until i had to get a job at which time i had to apply for it.
hell, thats practically a national ID these days, why don't they just make a card for it and put a pic on?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Isn't a SSN required for your kids if you claim them on your tax return? I left it off one year by mistake and it held up my refund for months.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't a SSN required for your kids if you claim them on your tax return? I left it off one year by mistake and it held up my refund for months.

Yes ... you need to get your kids SSN as soon as they are born now. We had them for both our daughters within months. The hospital even gave the forms to us when they were born. That was 20 years ago.

Guy

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i went through hell to my nj photo licence, should not all states have the same requirements, oh stupid me i forgot, business needs lots of cheep labor, next the dems will want to give them the right to vote, then the repubs will want to kick them out, LOL

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
next the dems will want to give them the right to vote, then the repubs will want to kick them out, LOL

Actually I think the Republicans have been trying pretty hard to get this vote ever since Bush was in office.

I agree, a passport is a very convenient form of ID and I believe it's valid for 10 years. It can be renewed pretty easily too. I always take mine when I travel by air.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Don't Move to PA

Hi,

Everyone rips on NJ for having horrible DMV's. After they redid the process about 4 or 5 years ago, I've found it hard pressed to actually wait any longer than 10 - 30 minutes.

Here's my recent experience at a PA DMV when getting my PA license yesterday:

I walk in. There is a big sign that says "CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY". Is this an infomercial? Does anyone know where to get a money order anymore? You don't even take cash? Needless to say I only had cash with the fees I needed to pay by looking online at their horrible website. So I had to drive back home and get my checkbook. Even NJ takes cash, credit cards and debit cards.

I get back. They have a numbering system. My number: 979. Current number: 939. I waited an hour and a half to get up to a window on a THURSDAY AFTERNOON AT 2 PM!

NJ - 2, PA - 0

PA is not cool. I can't wait to put in my 3 years here, save some cash, and transfer back to South Jersey so I can buy a house in Green Bank and get my NJ license and integrity back ...

Peace,

Justin

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
As a lifelong PA resident, the only way to handle the DMV is by the website. Have been using it for years, never one problem. If a renewal, you get an instant temporary document you print out followed in just a few days by mail. Have changed address, etc. Works great!
Len