Just saying,"See ya later!"

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I just want to say thanks to all the wonderful people here on this site! I have been in NJ since 1997, discovering and enjoying both this site and the Pine Barrens since 2005 or so. I was a city (NYC) girl and the pines change my life for the better. This site has always been there to offer friendly advice and unbelievably informative commentary. I have made a few friends and found some great resources here.

That being said, I am leaving NJ and heading to Kentucky. I have a small piece of property in Dawson Springs and have not been out there to check it out. I will be renting for now, with hopes on building, or at least putting a trailer on the property eventually. This move will likely be permanent. I have found a way to do business out there, it is just a matter of me making it work.

This move is being done mostly thanks to you guys. Living in NYC, I could not ever imagine choosing to live in or even near the woods. You have change my mind. I have seen, through this site and its members, the joys of the woods. You guys rock.

Lastly, if any of you guys are out in Western Kentucky, you will always have a place to stay!:D

PS to Turtle..... I couldn't find your email addy or phone. (New computer and iphone-and no hard copy) Give me a call some time! I'm gonna miss you! You and Dan need to take a road trip!!!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, it looks like there is a state forest and a wildlife management area nearby so make sure you check them out and let us know how they are. A few national forests nearby also.

Congrats!

Guy

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Al, jobs aren't super abundant, but I obtain (auctions and cleanouts) and sell (flea markets and Peddlers Mall), so I have work...........wanna help? It does not hurt that the average rent is about $400 a month................

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Best wishes, you picked a beautiful place to settle down and close to Princeton :) Lots of great places to explore nearby. Have fun and be safe.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, jobs aren't super abundant, but I obtain (auctions and cleanouts) and sell (flea markets and Peddlers Mall), so I have work...........wanna help? It does not hurt that the average rent is about $400 a month................
yes I"ve been looking at WV and they also have cheap rent and property but no jobs.Never any jobs in a place worth living in.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
So I am here in Dawson Springs, KY, settled and FINALLY got my internet hooked up (have it on my phone, but it is not the same, lol). I sat down and this was one of the first paces I visited. When I moved to NJ, I missed the rocks and caves. But after 18 years of living in NJ, I find I miss the Pines, hehe. Some pros and cons.........

Pros...........

My rent and all my bills are less than $500 a month.
Grocery store and Dollar General are right down the street.
I can get venison everywhere.
There are caves, mines and natural bridges and new areas to explore.
There is a lot of history here that I can learn.
Lots of old cemeteries, which are a great learning experience.
The people are super friendly.
Plenty of flea markets and auctions (my business) in real close proximity.
People love to buy my antiques and collectibles here, in NJ I had to have my special customers to deal in them They especially like the stuff I get in NJ
I love listening to the way everyone talks.

Cons...............

No downside to the bills!
Some of the items I buy in grocery stores are not available here, convenience foods that make cooking easier are a lot more expensive (gotta cook most everything from scratch which is OK by me, but takes longer) and big stores are at least 15 miles away.
I can also get pork brains in milk gravy.
There are no pine barrens or cedar swamps.
The history here (unless you go the Native American route, which I would prefer to learn after I learn settler history) does not do back too far. New York went back to the early Dutch in the 1600s; NJ to the early 1700s.
The oldest cemetery, so far, that I have found dates back only to the early 1800s.
I miss Pineys.
The auctions have some stuff, but nothing like I could find in Elmer or Medford.
I don't think they care for the way I talk down here

A mistake I made when I got here was to think that, because I sometimes use college words, people couldn't understand me. NOPE! It's just Because I "tawk" funny.

Anyway, I am getting settled. If any of you decide to visit the great state of Kentucky, let me know. You will always have a place to stay!!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your cons don't seem too bad, so from my point of view the Pros win out. Remember, the Photography Forum accepts photo's outside the pines. Keep them coming :)

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I will Guy!!!! It really is an awesome place. Tomorrow is the first day that I plan on doing some real exploring.... And Al.......if you are talking about the guy that fights with skunks and snappers................I think I could go my whole life without meeting
him.....