Kayak Fishing Menantico Sand Ponds

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Took this pic of a guy fishing near me on East Creek at 6:15am. This was probably the most peaceful spot in Cape May County this morning.

DSC01752 (Small).JPG

Reactions: joc

bdaltonph

Aug 25, 2013
Always heard Menatico is good for small mouth bass

Highly unlikely. South Jerseys waters are really not good smallmouth habitat. They prefer deep rocky lakes that are not as acidic as South Jersey Water. They need the rocky habitat for spawning. Any South Jersey lakes with smallmouth have been stocked and its not real likely the fish would be very successful reproducing.
Some nice fish you got there and a real nice Kayak . I have always wanted to fish that lake but have never made it there. Sold my little bass boat a few years ago. :(

BTW I'm new here. Hi everyone:)

bdaltonph

Aug 25, 2013
Always heard Menatico is good for small mouth bass

Highly unlikely. South Jerseys waters are really not good smallmouth habitat. They prefer deep rocky lakes that are not as acidic as South Jersey Water. They need the rocky habitat for spawning. Any South Jersey lakes with smallmouth have been stocked and its not real likely the fish would be very successful reproducing.
Some nice fish you got there and a real nice Kayak . I have always wanted to fish that lake but have never made it there. Sold my little bass boat a few years ago. :(

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I took my kayak out this weekend, doing a combination off fishing and exploring in several different water bodies. I found the fishing a bit difficult, since I have a decked kayak and I was sitting too low in the water to have good visibility and couldn't see the weed beds and other structure, especially with the rippled surface the wind was causing. Since most of the locations were shallow I found I did better by just getting out of the boat and casting standing up. Was a relaxing day.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ

Hi, nice to meet you. The only lake I'm aware of in South Jersey with smallmouth bass is Union Lake in Millville, and they were stocked. Menantico Sand Ponds fishes better early in the season. There's lots of perch, bluegill and, of course, pickerel, which can get quite large there. What's unique about Menantico is that you have a 2-3 week window every year when the stripers come in. Largemouth bass are hit & miss. Some days I get 4-5, some days I get none.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
WOW! Nice kayak. I kayak fish in Florida, but I have nothing like yours. What is the make, length and weight of your kayak? What modifications did you make to it?
It's a Wilderness Systems Commander 120 (12'6 length) It's a hybrid kayak. It has two seating positions, cockpit seat or higher seat in the captain's chair. You can also stand in it. The rear well has a milk crate with three rod holders I attached. I currently have a dashboard, rod holder, bait tray and homemade lure box holder on the front deck, but that is all temporary. I'm building a sliding tray on the bow that will hold all my gear and low profile rod holders. I'm also adding a Lowrance fish finder.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I took my kayak out this weekend, doing a combination off fishing and exploring in several different water bodies. I found the fishing a bit difficult, since I have a decked kayak and I was sitting too low in the water to have good visibility and couldn't see the weed beds and other structure, especially with the rippled surface the wind was causing. Since most of the locations were shallow I found I did better by just getting out of the boat and casting standing up. Was a relaxing day.
I always fresh water fished from a bass boat and I did feel handicapped at first when I started fishing out of a kayak because you're so much closer to the water line. But I got used to it and now I'm perfectly comfortable in the kayak. I can sit in a higher position in my YAK or stand up, but I rarely do. You can buy folding pontoons for a kayak that, once deployed, will completely stabilize it so you can stand up.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The problem with my boat not being a sit-on-top type is that my rear end is below the water line, which is a stable position but not the idea vantage point. I do like the boat, as it is easy to carry and paddle but my more serious fishing is still done with my canoe. Not only are the seats much higher but I've been standing up in it without incident while fishing for about 30 years now. It also moves along nicely while soloing when I use a kayak paddle. I just try to use the boat best suited to what I'll be doing that day.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
It's a Wilderness Systems Commander 120 (12'6 length) It's a hybrid kayak. It has two seating positions, cockpit seat or higher seat in the captain's chair. You can also stand in it. The rear well has a milk crate with three rod holders I attached. I currently have a dashboard, rod holder, bait tray and homemade lure box holder on the front deck, but that is all temporary. I'm building a sliding tray on the bow that will hold all my gear and low profile rod holders. I'm also adding a Lowrance fish finder.

I have an Ocean kayak Caper 11', 40lbs, sit on top in FL with rod holders. How much does your kayak weigh?