Kayak recommendations?

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I have an old used Gummin aluminum canoe i bought 20 years ago at Belhaven.

Its indestructible , no maintenance, sits outside 24-7, noisy, can hold a huge amount of equipment and too long for much of the pines or everglades in my opinion for where i want to get into.

Now the small one person canoes are interesting.

I will make a trip to Belhaven and try some out in the next two weeks.

I would rather pay more and give my money to a local shop. Although everyday that seems harder to do.

Lots of good info from everyone thanks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Now the small one person canoes are interesting.

I will make a trip to Belhaven and try some out in the next two weeks.

Bellhaven carries a line of open solo's from NativeCraft that I was considering for my wife, but for their weight and price I'll probably go back to Hornbeck or a Hemlock.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I have tried the old town trapper. I think that is the name, anyway, 12' long weighs like 25 lbs. and floats a whole lot more than anyone needs for a 3 nighter.
With a kayak paddle it really performs. I like kayaks, paddled one in the ocean up in Alaska, but where do you put the cooler? For my money, unless you are going to sea, I would buy a canoe.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
10 1/2", 16 lbs, 300 lb capacity

Which one is this?

Sorry I reread it and got it now .

Thanks !

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
this always boggled my mind;

how can what seems to be just a large piece of boyant plastic cost upwards of $500?

big_yak_angler.jpg

i can understand that there are quality materials being used, but i would think that when they are mass produced the prices should be much lower, like $100 to $200 range.

i don't know, just my two cents i guess.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
this always boggled my mind;

how can what seems to be just a large piece of boyant plastic cost upwards of $500?

big_yak_angler.jpg

i can understand that there are quality materials being used, but i would think that when they are mass produced the prices should be much lower, like $100 to $200 range.

i don't know, just my two cents i guess.
but it was designed, molded and tested. have you ever rode the waves on one :) they're a blast. got 3 :)

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I don't like kayaks, too difficult to carry 4-legged stuff

But ahhhh.....I too have an Ocean Kayak and have trained the 4-legger to sit on the front. She likes to watch for ducks. It was a challenge to keep her seated for extended times, until she realized that she wasn't invited otherwise. I have a Hobie, very much like the Dagger as well. AND....there is nothing like paddling a piney river in an old canoe!

turtle

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That's supposed to be for your water bottle! :D

Water? Bleccchhhh!
I picked up a used Pelican canoe last year with beer holders molded in the center.
My only complaint is they won't hold a beer with a huggy on it.
It makes me drink faster so the beer doesn't get warm.
I think I have an angle on product liability with that.
:)