Kayaking adventure outside of the Pine Barrens

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, just barely outside the Pine Barrens.

My friend Cass and I just bought two used kayaks - Pelican Endeavors - for a pretty good price. Since I live right near the water (my house is at the red X), we decided to try them out tonight.

I never realized it, but the area is surrounded by wetlands. There are little channels that run all through these "islands" of wetlands full of birds, fish, etc. We saw a really nice white crane and got pretty close before it took off.

The water is very shallow - about waist deep in the middle of the creek, so there were some places that we had trouble in. I just wish the water was cleaner, and that it wasn't low tide so it would have smelled better. :)

B

bach2yoga

Nice find! Sounds like fun! We're wanting a canoe for the family, but I've been keeping my eyes open for a used 1 person kayak for myself as well. If you hear of another, let me know?
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The next time I go out I think I am going to bring my camera.

When we were out, a boat came by pretty fast. It was fun riding the kayaks through the wake. It's one thing to be still and flat, it's another thing to see the nose of the kayak dive under a wave and come back out. Fortunately the creek is about waist deep, and the kayaks are very stable. It would take a lot to make them tip.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Okay, I brought my camera.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~bruset/gallery/album27

It was high tide this time, and there was a pretty strong wind. It was very hard to get anywhere with the Kayak. I did manage to throw some beer into the stern hatch on the kayak and float around in the wetlands area (the "channel' that runs through the wetlands has some great spots to hide) and have a few beers & relax.

It was around the time of my 3rd Guinness that I realized how much more I appreciate nature, and how important it is that it be preserved. I guess I'm in the "tree hugger" or "Disney Ecologist" camp now.