Kayaking on the Wading Again

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Put in at Evans Bridge. Water levels were down at least 8-12 inches. Last time (3 weeks ago) I went from Hawkins to Godfrey it was low and we had to walk/drag the kayaks for quite awhile. Our dog literally ran down the river for most of that trip.Today there were many exposed sand bars on most of the turns and as a plus I did not see much garbage/debris. There were more people on the river today then last time. I wanted to get an idea of water levels before I drove down there from Forked River so I checked the water station at Jenkins. It just said the level was lower than normal. I was not aware of the average flow rates or heights for the river so the information did not really help me. There was no notifications on Micks site either. Many of the people with rented canoes were complaining about the trip and saying "This river sucks!"

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
I was on the batsto river yesterday . The conditions where similar to what you had mentioned, about a foot lower than usual. I came very close to getting out and walking the yak, but was able to push though some of those low spots. All in all a beautiful day !

Reactions: NJCoastal and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If anyone is kayaking the Mullica with the water low, when you are in the area slightly north of the Mullica River Campground, keep your eyes looking into the water for a concrete monument that someone years ago mentioned was sticking up when the water was low. There is one on the edge of the river hidden in the vegetation unless the fire burned to the rivers edge. But someone said there actually is one in the middle of the river. Maybe it was Ed Campbell who said that. He may respond.

If it is sticking up or close to it someone should run into it.

This would be the division of Burlington and Atlantic County, and the townships of Mullica, Hammonton and Washington.

The one on the edge of the river taken in 2005. When I took the photo I could look down the stream and see tents at the campground. There was a stone there and maybe it still is hidden in the hole that shows in the photo below. I failed to look for it.

mon.jpg

Dochartaigh

Sep 4, 2015
Pennington, NJ and Levittown, PA
I actually meant to post is there a way to know more precisely about the water levels on theses rivers besides "its lower than normal?"
Sorry for the late reply (just checking for myself if there's any trip reports about water levels!). I made this post a while ago about the gauges on a couple river which might help you:

I believe I read that the Harrisville Dam gauge was moved so don't trust my number for that (and sadly I don't know what new number to use for that - if anybody knows please chime in!!!)

AirCooled

Jun 29, 2022
Shamong
Sorry for the late reply (just checking for myself if there's any trip reports about water levels!). I made this post a while ago about the gauges on a couple river which might help you:

I believe I read that the Harrisville Dam gauge was moved so don't trust my number for that (and sadly I don't know what new number to use for that - if anybody knows please chime in!!!)
I'm a new forum member but longtime lurker. Finally have something to offer!
For new gauge at Harrisville 10.45 is what I consider to be the bare minimum for the Oswego.

Dochartaigh

Sep 4, 2015
Pennington, NJ and Levittown, PA
I'm a new forum member but longtime lurker. Finally have something to offer!
For new gauge at Harrisville 10.45 is what I consider to be the bare minimum for the Oswego.
Thanks for that! I'm going to add it to my personal list! (and see if I can edit my old post to reflect that number).

Do you have numbers for the other gauges you use? Just want to see if they reflect my own (or not).

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
" I did not see much garbage/debris"

I used to paddle those PB rivers in either a rental canoe or my own inflatable kayak. I don't recall ever seeing any garbage on the rivers. John McPhee said the tea colored water was all drinkable, but i don't think i ever did it, maybe i did once or twice. It looked so clean.

I just video'd a flash flood on one of our dry rivers here in Tucson, AZ - so much garbage!

My ik on Lake Oswego, 21Oct1990. I went down there, and other lakes farther north in NJ, in the winter too, sometimes having to break through ice. At at unspecified place in NJPB May 1980. Also cutting up before 1980 trip (the crazy person with the paddle - just goofing).

Attachments

• May 1981, NJ PB canoe trip, Maniac with paddle.jpg
    May 1981, NJ PB canoe trip, Maniac with paddle.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
picture didn't come out above (i still have that 1980 bandana)

Unspecified place in 1980...u can c it wasn't always flooded because there were trees in the water...but i don't remember exactly where it was. It was right by where we parked.

Attachments

• Canoing in the Barrens Spring 1980.jpg
    Canoing in the Barrens Spring 1980.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Reactions: John and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Pine Branch Creek Sep 1971

Attachments

• njpb pine branch creek 22sep1971.jpg
    njpb pine branch creek 22sep1971.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Me in the plains again, Sep '71

Attachments

• Pine Barrens Plains 22Sep1971.jpg
    Pine Barrens Plains 22Sep1971.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 80

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Camping '73. Peaceful, quiet, no one else around as far as the eye can see. New Jersey!

Attachments

• The Plains.jpg
    The Plains.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 75

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I did post this one before, but it's interesting: Train wreck on Jersey Central RR tracks near Carranza Memorial Sep 1971.

There's more, plus even more that i haven't scanned, mostly color slides, plus even more that have disappeared over the years.

Attachments

• NJPB 22Sep1971 NJ Central RR tracks by Carranza Memorial. Wrecked cars visible on both sides o...jpg
    NJPB 22Sep1971 NJ Central RR tracks by Carranza Memorial. Wrecked cars visible on both sides o...jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Swiping cranberries 1972 - just a handful! That's what i was doing another time when the cropduster biplane came by and strafed me with bug spray. After that I quit the cranberry racket.

Attachments

• Cranberry bog in Pine Barrens.jpg
    Cranberry bog in Pine Barrens.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 73