Kayaking this weekend

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
I'd love to but can't on Sunday.
I wouldn't suggest the Batsto this time of year. The water is too low.

Steve

Bear, I don't believe that would be correct at all. With the rains it is probably running good and strong.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Steve,

Where would you suggest. I know the Batsto but I am not sure what the other rivers are like in the Wharton state forest area.

Lorun said:
Steve,

Where would you suggest. I know the Batsto but I am not sure what the other rivers are like in the Wharton state forest area.

The Wading is always a good bet. You can put in at Hawkins Bridge and there are a few places to take out. First would be Godfrey's Bridge, about 2 to 2.5 hrs. Then there is Allens Bridge where the Wading crosses under Rt563, about 3 to 3.5 hrs. Last is Beaver Branch not to far past Bodines Field, about 5 hrs.
The only thing is that you need a vehical waiting to pick you up.

Steve

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Thanks. Is the Wading generally deeper than the Batsto? One time at the Lower forge campsite I heard some campers canoeing into the campsite comment that they use the term river loosely in NJ.

wombat

Mar 22, 2005
East Norriton, PA
Some of the small(er) rivers aren't well suited to kayaking; they can be barely wide enough for a boat to pass through in places, and often overgrown with low-hanging branches and foliage. Single-blade paddles are a better bet. I've paddled most of the rivers in my kayak but the canoe usually works better. Also, it's much easier to get in and out of to pull the boat over logs or other obstructions. I can't go paddling this weekend but would be very interested in getting out some other weekend, if I can free my canoe from the vines and shrubs growing around it in the backyard!

Lorun said:
Thanks. Is the Wading generally deeper than the Batsto? One time at the Lower forge campsite I heard some campers canoeing into the campsite comment that they use the term river loosely in NJ.

Yes it is and starting at Hawkins Bridge it is farely wide. However I just realized that I just recovered from the worlds longest brain fart. It is the Oswego that has low water not the Batsto. Sorry about that. Man it stinks around here.:D

Steve

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Thanks again. Low water and River are both used relatively in the Pines. I think it would be fair to say that the Batsto gets low. Does not seem like anyone is interested in joining me this Sunday. Maybe I will just take a stroll around the woods instead.

Ron

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Lorun said:
Thanks again. Low water and River are both used relatively in the Pines. I think it would be fair to say that the Batsto gets low. Does not seem like anyone is interested in joining me this Sunday. Maybe I will just take a stroll around the woods instead.

Ron

I would if I had a truck for my canoe Ron. Alas, I sold it, still need to find another.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Believe me, I understand that people are busy. I have two kids and hardly ever have the time to get out of the house. I did not want to sound jilted, I enjoy just meandering on foot as much as meandering down stream in a Kayak.

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Chris,
I have a canoe that I picked up at a yard sale for $50. I am not sure how often you can find them that cheap. It looks like it went through a war but it does not leak. I would never buy one brand new for the price they ask.

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
Yeah I have had my eye out for one in the bargain box in the paper. I can't justify the cost of a new one for as often as I will use it. I'll come across one eventually.
Chris

wombat

Mar 22, 2005
East Norriton, PA
Lorun said:
Believe me, I understand that people are busy. I have two kids and hardly ever have the time to get out of the house. I did not want to sound jilted, I enjoy just meandering on foot as much as meandering down stream in a Kayak.
Here's a solution! Do both. Buy an old kayak with holes in it. Enlarge the holes so your legs fit thru. Then you can go hiking in your kayak, and tell everyone at work on Monday that you not only went kayaking, but went where no-one had ever kayaked before. Well, it was just an idea...... :confused:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
wombat said:
Here's a solution! Do both. Buy an old kayak with holes in it. Enlarge the holes so your legs fit thru. Then you can go hiking in your kayak, and tell everyone at work on Monday that you not only went kayaking, but went where no-one had ever kayaked before. Well, it was just an idea...... :confused:

Me and a few guys did something different about 5 years ago. We started out in a canoe from Atsion and floated down the Mullica River to that wide, open area. We then portaged our canoes throught the woods over to the Batsto River, camped at Lower Forge, and canoed the following morning down the Batsto to the village.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Nescocheague

OK, who's up for an adventure?
I'd like to redo my Nescocheague River trip from a couple of years ago

Trip report

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=316&highlight=campground

A highlite would be Ace Campground.

I would also like to start further up river at Paradise Lake campgroung. We would end up just upriver from Plesant Mills bridge.

Maybe a side trip to the Swamp Monster.

This river is not maintained, lots of logs and brush.

Ed