Kayaking this weekend

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Bob,

Their was a shrub/bush/tree like pant that grew along the river in blossom. The blossoms looked a lot like honey suckle. Would you have an idea what type of plant that is? I also noticed a lot of wild grapes and Ed pointed out some rasberries.

Lorun said:
Bob,

Their was a shrub/bush/tree like pant that grew along the river in blossom. The blossoms looked a lot like honey suckle. Would you have an idea what type of plant that is? I also noticed a lot of wild grapes and Ed pointed out some rasberries.
Were the flowers orange and larger than a regular honeysuckle? There are many varieties of honeysuckle and it may have been one.

Steve

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I think we also saw swamp azalea

http://www.delawarewildflowers.org/1675.html

Also sweet pepper bush which is in bloom now

http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Sweet_pepper_bush/h0002.htm

A couple of other thoughts:

Bob, I took a good look at those vines I was cutting, especially since I put my arms and face through it, but had no reaction.

The whole trip took only 3 3/4 hours, faster than I thought, especially since it included our stop at Ace, and getting blocked by the tree. The river is very straight, with a good flow. If it were cleared it could be a primier river on par with the Wadeing and Batsto.

We also came across the remenants of what appears to be a primitive old dam, but thats probably an overstatement. Sand stone and maybe non indiginous rock, but we went by too fast to be sure. Of course I marked it for an expedition in non tick weather.

Ed

ecampbell said:
The whole trip took only 3 3/4 hours, faster than I thought, especially since it included our stop at Ace, and getting blocked by the tree. The river is very straight, with a good flow. If it were cleared it could be a primier river on par with the Wadeing and Batsto.

We also came across the remenants of what appears to be a primitive old dam, but thats probably an overstatement. Sand stone and maybe non indiginous rock, but we went by too fast to be sure. Of course I marked it for an expedition in non tick weather.

Ed
Sounds like clearing expedition is in order. We can get it all clear and not tell anyone and we would have it to ourselves.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You may better off leaving it the way it is.

Guy

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
abandoned canoe

I attached below at Ed's suggestions some PMS we shared regarding an abandoned canoe we saw on our Kayaking Trip. He thought some members may enjoy it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think our PM's about the canoe would amuse alot of the members. How about we post it under the trip report?

I still have it in my sent PM's with my reply if you don't.

You may have the honors.

Ed

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron, I went back today to find that canoe we found up on the bank, it was gone.

Did you get it?

Ed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Last week. I wish I knew you were interested in going back for it; I would have let you know sooner. I hope you enjoyed looking for it, and not to disappointed when it was not there.

I have no need for a canoe, since I already have one. I had trouble sleeping last Friday and decided to take a chance at finding the canoe. I headed out from my house at about 3:00 am. I was somewhat disappointed when I got to it. It is an old sears fiberglass model with a fist size whole in the bottom center. It has about five patch jobs from previous holes, and one long sealant/patch down the center. The new whole should be patchable also. If you have any use for it you are welcomed to it. I was more interested in the adventure of finding it again than the canoe itself. I think it would be suitable for lakes and such, but using it on the types of rivers in the pines would likely result in further damage. I wrote up a long winded account of my journey if you care to read it.

I started from home at 3:00 am. I arrived at the entrance to the dirt road that parallels the Nesocheague on the North side about an hour and 20 minutes latter. On the way in a Coyote or a possible wolf ran across the road from left to right. The sun was just starting to change the landscape from pitch black to a dark purplish color.

I Had the GPS coordinates marked on my GPS system marking the location of the abandoned canoe. I saw the canoe, on the side of the riverbank, the Saturday before while Kayaking the river with Ned.

My plan was to find the closet landing point approachable by car down stream from the Canoe. I would walk upstream in the river with a canoe paddle in hand. I would than paddle downstream with the canoe back to the landing site. Using my GPS as a guide I was able to find a great landing site about ½ mile down stream from the Canoe. Unfortunately before reaching this site I drove down another road that got really rough a short distance down. I turned off the Jeep and walked to a dead end. The river did not seem to be very close so I decided to go back to the Jeep and keep driving. Unfortunately the Jeep would not start. 20-30 minutes latter I got her started and rambling down the main road again.

Just a short distance down was a turnoff that that ended at a well-used landing site on the river. This spot was about ½ mile from the Canoe. With canoe paddle in hand I decided to walk through the woods following the river for as long as possible before jumping into the river and following it up stream. The woods got thicker and the river seemed to disappear far to my left somewhere. I decided to cut through the cedar trees off to my left in order to reach the river. Eventually the Cedar was very dense and I could still see no sign of the river. My GPS system also seemed to be lying to me. Telling me that my car was in the direction I was heading up river and not behind me down river. I figured I would head back to where I thought the road was. In a short time I found the road and followed it to the Jeep (according to my GPS). Apparently I had the old mark of where I broke down and not the new spot where I parked. I decided to cut through the swamp at the end of this road and head up river.

After a short walk through the swamp along a well-used dear path, I reached the river. I put my shirt around my neck in hopes I could keep it dry, and with paddle in hand jumped into the river. The river was nice and cool; the majority of the time the water level was no deeper than knee high. However some section reached my chest. I hoped that any ticks that I may have picked up would be swept away in the river.

After an hour I passed the banks of the abandoned camp ground (ACE). I knew the canoe if still there would be just around the bend. For a brief moment I thought the canoe was gone, just as Tracy kept telling me it would be. I walked a bit further and saw the canoe. When I reached the canoe I saw that it had a great deal of water in the front. I started to splash the water out with my hands. While doing this my heart sunk when I saw the fist size whole in the bottom. I decided to plug the whole with a towel that was left amongst other trash left behind with the canoe. I shoved off and was making good time. I have to admit I am proud of the one man canoe paddling skills I used to get down river. Than a piece of the towel hanging out of the whole got caught on a log. I had to get out of the canoe to dislodge it. I decided to empty the water that had seeped in through the patch job. This took some time since I had no riverbank to stand on. I patched the whole with a piece of ziplock bag I gathered from the trash I cleaned up at the canoe site. This seemed to work better than the towel. I put the wet towel on top of the patch to help slow down the leaking. I also kept an empty Gatorade bottle handy to scoop out the water that entered the canoe.

A very short time latter I reached the landing site. The landing site had a rope swing which I took the time to enjoy before strapping the canoe to the Jeep.

On the way out, two Owls flew in front of the Jeep. I felt very lucky to have seen a glimpse of them in the wild.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seems to me you need to get that Jeep patched. One of these days it is not going to start at all :)

Nice report! Thanks for sharing it.

Guy

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
TeeGate said:
It seems to me you need to get that Jeep patched. One of these days it is not going to start at all :)

Nice report! Thanks for sharing it.

Guy

I replace something new each time it does not start. It is one of those problems that is hard to determine if it is fixed.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That was a great read Ron. Quite an adventure you had there. That coyote you saw is a fairly rare sight. We had some disscussion regarding coyote some time back and found out that the coyotes in the area are believed to have interbreed with grey wolves at some point, thus accounting for the larger size of them in comparison to the western coyote. Again, great read, I can appreciate your determination and adventurous spirit!!

Jeff