Kindle users?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Anyone use a kindle, or similar reader? I still prefer sitting back in my Archie Bunker chair with a real book, with my flatulent labrador snoozing beside me, but my wife wants one and the little online reseach I did indicates more choices than I was aware of. Just wondering if anyone favors a particular device or or knows of choices I should avoid.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I gave a Kindle Fire to my wife for Xmas in prep of her retirement. She worked for the OC Library and was always reading. She loaded one book from the library system and it expired before she read it; uses it for checking her email and Internet browsing. Have had some issues with the Kindle, that resolved with an update. Some of the apps are good. Screen is top notch. If you get one, get a stylus for it. Should have got her a tablet.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I think it depends on what you plan to do with it. Both my wife and I have a Kindle. I have the Kindle Fire and she has a regular Kindle. I use the Fire for just about everything from surfing the web, reading books and storing my music. It is more of a replacement to my computer. The screen on the regular Kindles is much more like a book. If all I was using it for was a book I would opt for the Kindle, especially if I was reading outside a lot. I would certainly recommend either of them.

PS the only thing I can't do with the Kindle Fire is post here on the forum. I can read and sign in just can't post.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
My wife has both the Kindle Keyboard version and the Kindle Fire. She prefers them over a hardcopy for two reasons. First off, she can carry her entire collection/library, which is great when she's reading a couple books at the same time. Secondly, is the fact that she can adjust/increase the reading font size. Trying to read a "normal" book just became too difficult, and purchasing "large print" books got old, real fast.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have the Kindle Keyboard version. It's great for reading books, which is what I use it solely for. I find that it's much easier on my eyes, and really convenient to carry around.

I bought a plain old Kindle (non touch, without the keyboard) for my mom and she LOVES it.

There's plenty of free public domain books out there, too. Besides those, buying books from Amazon is really easy and super convenient. Besides my Mac it's my favorite piece of technology.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The buttons on my wifes Kindle really annoyed me at first because I kept changing the page acicdentally which can be a real bummer when your in mid sentence but after learning how to flip the book in the other direction I do this much less.I do like having so many books in one place and there are a whole lot of freebie ancient books on the web ,Pdf and otherwise that are way past any copyright issues but all in all if I could get the same regular book for free I'd rather read it that way,now that i have reading glasses that is.Before I got them the Kindle text adjustment was the way to go but it just doesn't smell like an old book or my wet Lab either.