Toothy Critter

sorry erased post

Last edited by a moderator:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The file this generated worked so well for an hour then the overlay shifted 200 miles to the south of where it belongs and I havenot been able to fix it.it is not my computer because i redownloaded the file onto another computer and it does the same thing on the laptop.The overlay covers the whole country but part of Arizona now lies over mexico and the 49th parallel is about over Helena MT.. Thrying to figure out what went wrong as it worked great for an hour.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No idea what you have there, but I've found that big .kml files containing vector data are problematic. Just ask Guy... I created some big parcel maps for him as vector .kml files. They were really slow to load and use, and one of them caused Google Earth to crash, corrupting all of his files to the point where he had to re-load them. So I gave up on using .kml for anything other than little local maps. Raster imagery generally works fine in .kml (or .kmz) files, but vector imagery does not.

Reactions: dogg57

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I found another page to download that works fine but it only includes the states of AZ,NM and UT.I"m looking for a file to show me the BLM boundaries so I can look for RV camping sites in areas where I"m headed on vacation in October.I"ve foud some good sites on national grassland but was wanting to check BLM sites as well.

Reactions: dogg57

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know in NJ WMA's are strictly no camping and State parks you must camp in the campground.I have found many other states allow you to Boondock in WMA"s or at least they have primitive camping areas. BLM land you usually can camp/Boondock just about anywhere unless otherwise posted.The national Forests/Grasslands,lakeshores and seashores are pretty current with their info and have decent MVUM maps on their websites and better maps for sale online but the BLM appears to have very little.They have a Hodgepodge of maps but their not organized in a geographical fashion but alphabetically and I"m not familiar with their areas like i am the others so i virtually have to go through everything just to find areas i might be interested in.Thats why i was looking for an overlay. GE has a national lands overlay but it doesn't include BLM lands.
I just checked out your websites.The second one I know about and use but the first one the arcgis site is awesome!I have seen arcgis sites on search engines for BLM but the ones I have been bringing up weren't working.This one is spot on! Thanks 46er! This will come in real handy!Gonna go play around with this map a bit!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When we traveled west and weren't staying in a NP, we camped in the local NF. Most NP's out west are surrounded by them, always have an open spot, unlike the NP's, and were never crowded with less regulations. There was a place in the Beartooth where you could camp in an old fire tower waaay high up. I'll try and find it. Wait list was light years long.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No idea what you have there, but I've found that big .kml files containing vector data are problematic. Just ask Guy... I created some big parcel maps for him as vector .kml files. They were really slow to load and use, and one of them caused Google Earth to crash, corrupting all of his files to the point where he had to re-load them.

Proving that backing up is so important. That could have caused years of work to be lost.

Reactions: Boyd