Lacey

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks Scott, i thought i lost her until she came stormin back, what a relief.

Scott

In your opinion with the current conditions, what do you think of traveling on West Mills Road this weekend to look for the Nescohague Geodetic Survey Disk which i have yet to find. The area where you cross the Gun Branch seems like it may be a major problem.

Jim

It's hard to say Jim.
Even Quaker Bridge Road was challenging last weekend because of the frozen/refrozen holes.
With the extended cold we have had for the last few days, you should be able to stay on top of the ice.
Breaking through is not fun and can result in a good stuck if you can't get a bite on some dirty ice.
If you go no later than Saturday morning, I think any ice will hold you.
Saturday afternoon is going to get warm enough to start a melt.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That's the hole we went through on the Skit Branch trip in my truck. There were five of us crammed in, 3 in the front and 2 in the back. I had to nudge Paul over with my elbow to shift. Midway through the hole the front end dropped about 10" further in and off to the side a bit. But the engine growled and pushed the ice chunks out of the way and we came out okay, though it was a bit iffy for a second.

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you everyone for the kind comments on the new pup.

The papers on her say she is a Doberman-Rottie, IMHO i do not see any Rottie, the first time i had her at the vet he thought Doberman-Daschund, the last time at the vet he said Coon Hound.

Jim

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The same day Bob went through that hole, I did also with my Bronco. It was iffy that day because of the ice which always makes water crossings tougher. I went through no problem but that 10" drop was unexpected. I've been through that hole many times and it is usually not a problem and it has a mostly sand bottom. I suspect some one got stuck recently which has caused a problem there.

Nice report Jim. I can't believe how much ground you cover on your trips. It is funny, when I go out I always decide ahead of time if I am going for a micro trip or a macro trip. The macro trips mean I am covering alot of ground and the micro is a close study of a small area. Both are rewarding but in different ways.

You might be surprised at what you would discover if you spent 3-4 hours in one general location.

Jeff

Really great pictures there Jim, The snow really makes for some great photo oppertunities dont it. I really wanted to go out that day but I got stuck looking at the inside of a garage putting a clutch in my truck , at least Now I am ready to hit the trails again. That is one good looking dog you have there and what a nice name for her. It looks like she really had a good time in the pines and she looks like she would be some good company. I sure have some fun with my Pup Wharton when I take him out and about. I have been taking him out latley on Wed or thursdays to diferent places without a leash and he doesn't wander to far from me either (maybe 20 to 30 ft).

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Great shots and a cute companion!
You mentioned visiting Apple Pie Hill. What's its condition regarding trash, graffiti, etc.? (Covered with snow!?) Could the tower be climbed? I need this information -- thanks for your help.
--Glo

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Jim......Glo....et.al...........meet Casey! She is a great "pine-dog" companion. She even adores the river on a kayak or pontoon boat, or for that matter just a swim. You will see us out there. I am attempting to put an image of her on this posting. If it does not come through, my pardons. I promised Guy, I would try to brush up on "posting image skills" this weekend. All the best and enjoy the splendid weather this week........ahhhhhh

see next post..........

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
OK.........I'm lost.....let's try again.

Attachments

• 2007_0211Image0020.jpg
    2007_0211Image0020.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 276
Oct 25, 2006
Great shots and a cute companion!
You mentioned visiting Apple Pie Hill. What's its condition regarding trash, graffiti, etc.? (Covered with snow!?) Could the tower be climbed? I need this information -- thanks for your help.
--Glo

The day that i was there the steps were ice covered, i was out in the Pines yesterday and all of the snow was gone, definitely go for the climb now, also no trash was visible, graffiti was all over the place.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Jim......Glo....et.al...........meet Casey! She is a great "pine-dog" companion. She even adores the river on a kayak or pontoon boat, or for that matter just a swim. You will see us out there. I am attempting to put an image of her on this posting. If it does not come through, my pardons. I promised Guy, I would try to brush up on "posting image skills" this weekend. All the best and enjoy the splendid weather this week........ahhhhhh

see next post..........

You have a very adorable dog and a great companion, hope to meet you in the Pines someday.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Gentlemen:

The correct pre-1953 designator for that particular state highway is S40 as it was a “Spur” road from the regular (and previously numbered) State Route 40, the latter highway being first planned in 1927. The initial construction phases for S40 began in 1930 from the Burlington-Ocean County boundary line to County Route 532 and also from County Route 532 to U.S. Route 9. The sections from Four-Mile Circle to Lebanon Road and from Lebanon Road to the county line underwent construction in 1936, completing the roadway on the mainland. To gain access to LBI, the New Jersey State Highway Department had already assumed control of the viaduct and Thoroughfare lift bridge, stretching from the west side of the Intracoastal Waterway to Long Beach Boulevard, during 1926. The state proceeded to widen the trestling and moveable bridge, first built in 1911, from the original 18 feet to 30 feet to improve traffic safety and flow. The completion of State Route S40 doomed the Pennsylvania Railroad/Tuckerton Railroad presence on LBI to a fiscally inglorious end, although the actual finis for the rail service came when a nor’easter in the fall of 1935 destroyed the trestling. During the normally very busy summer season, the railroad carried less than 1600 passengers in 1935, generating a mere trifle in net revenue and not nearly enough receipts to warrant reconstructing the destroyed trestling and swingspan drawbridge.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman

If possible, a request, would you have any old pic swith cars on S40, an including S40 sign would be really great.

My dad use to travel S40 to LBI after it first opened, fishing trips of course.

Jim