Lake kayaking

turtleboy

Sep 3, 2009
Any suggestions/directions for a nice spot to drive in and launch kayaks around the Chatsworth Lake area.

Buschwacker

Oct 3, 2006
Carteret, New Jersey
While fishing last weekend I noticed a lot of kayakers on Oswego Lake (close by). Good Parking and Launch Area. Micks was transporting alot of people back and forth that day.

Oswego is a launching point for the trip to Harrisville. A few folks just paddle on the lake, most continue, after a portage, downstream. The lake's big enough for a few hours of leisurely paddleing and has several sandy beaches for "wading". There is also a public, state run beach for official swimming.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Any suggestions/directions for a nice spot to drive in and launch kayaks around the Chatsworth Lake area.

There isn't a real easy spot. Your best bet is to park my the FP enterance where the gate is and carry your kayak across 532. It is a short carry. Be prepared to encounter some grass (chiggers) at that load in spot.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
There isn't a real easy spot. Your best bet is to park my the FP enterance where the gate is and carry your kayak across 532. It is a short carry. Be prepared to encounter some grass (chiggers) at that load in spot.

I've parked on the gravel area across from the lake (on the straight section of 532) and carried my canoe across to the lake. There's a small beach there. There's not as many chiggers at that spot, as the beach is a little more open. The only hard part is lifting my canoe over the guardrail. Either way, enjoy.
Greg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I've put in at the canal that goes under 532 just west of the lake. Parked on the shoulder, behind the bridge guard rail and paddle the canal to the lake or go the other directions. Don't know how clogged the canal might be now as this was a few years ago, access may also have changed, but its close enough to take a look see.

The location is at the 532 marker on this map.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=39.815974~-74.551442&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I've put in at the canal that goes under 532 just west of the lake. Parked on the shoulder, behind the bridge guard rail and paddle the canal to the lake or go the other directions. Don't know how clogged the canal might be now as this was a few years ago, access may also have changed, but its close enough to take a look see.[/URL]

I used to do that too, but I walked along the canal last winter from 532 to the lake and there were some trees down. It looked pretty tight. It's worth a walk to check it out, though (maybe after the chigger season).

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I just recently took that route (the canal) it is a little longer passage to the lake and a few tricky spots (downed trees). A nice paddle but not the easiest access to the lake.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I just recently took that route (the canal) it is a little longer passage to the lake and a few tricky spots (downed trees). A nice paddle but not the easiest access to the lake.

Jeff,
I assume you were in your kayak? I hope to fish the lake this weekend or next in my canoe and will check it out, although I'll probably put in at the lake and paddle down. Last winter when I walked along the canal it looked like I couldn't get my canoe by the trees.
Greg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff,
I assume you were in your kayak? I hope to fish the lake this weekend or next in my canoe and will check it out, although I'll probably put in at the lake and paddle down. Last winter when I walked along the canal it looked like I couldn't get my canoe by the trees.
Greg

Yes, you are correct, I did do it in a kayak. I didn't have to exit the kayak but I did have some uncomfortable duck downs. Going in at the lake...in that spot where it is gravel along the side (as someone suggested) is probably the easiest route. If you wanted to do the canal, it won't kill you though even in a canoe. Either way, have fun.

Jeff