Late winter fishing

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
With the mild but breezy day on wednesday my friend Russ and I decided to hit the Pines after work to catch our first Pickerel for 2011. Most years I for Pickerel through out the winter with much success, but with the winter we had that was not possible so I was itching to go wet a line.

Time was limited, so we hit up Dover Forge which is close to home for both of us. We got about an hour and half in with some luck. I caught my first 4 Pickerel of the year with my favorite cold water, lack of vegitation Pickerel lure, a jointed Rapala J-7 in black and silver, fished slow. Russ had a real gator on just before dark but lost it right at the shore line. His luck came on a Scum Frog, twitched on the surface. It felt good to shake the cabin fever!

My first Pickerel for 2011
0272.JPG

My second Pickerel for 2011
0285.JPG

Russ looking to catch a gator
0305.JPG

Sunset at the Forge
0296.JPG

Chris

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
One of the lures I use in Whitesbog is a jointed J-7 in a flourescent orange color

I have been told the flourescent works good, I have yet to try it. My friends go to lure for pickerel is a flourescent green and orange rebel. I saw him catch a very large pickerel on it. I'm heading out to fish in a few minutes. I may stop and pick up a flourescent j-7 to try.

Chris

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice fish Chris!! I've been fishing a bit with the warm weather we have been having and had a little luck. Mostly of the 15" variety.

Jeff

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Never-fail Pickerel!

When I came up to SJ last Jan. I had a lot of luck with a jointed rebel, purple and silver. And SLOW retrieve was the operative word! Caught 6 on Chatsworth Lake, Sun. 1/24. It was overcast and in the 40's and still ice on the lake. Maybe some of you drove by and saw a couple of knuckleheads out there in a blue Lenape Chief canoe. That was my best buddy TomM, too. Coming up in April for some more great times in the Pines! :)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Hewey,
You catch that last big guy in Greenwood WMA? That spot looks familiar, but if its the one Im thinking of, its rather small. Nice fish.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Yes, it was in Greenwood. It is a hard spot to fish. The small places are sometimes the best!

Bucky has helped out. I grew up in Vermont cathing brook trout out of beaver ponds, I adapted to cathing pickerel out of beaver ponds in the pines.

Chris

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Yes, it was in Greenwood. It is a hard spot to fish. The small places are sometimes the best!

Bucky has helped out. I grew up in Vermont cathing brook trout out of beaver ponds, I adapted to cathing pickerel out of beaver ponds in the pines.

Chris
Thought it looked familiar. We've had a place in the Dacks since before I was born and the ponds and rivers are loaded with brookies. Very fun on the fly rod.