lawrence and keith lines

Oct 25, 2006
I came across both of these lines while researching the alleged Mason-Dixon line markers in NJ (as far as I know, there are none). There was supposed to be a marker on LBI somewhere and even one on the Turnpike. I emailed the Turnpike commission and they said there may be some of the East/West Jersey markers nearby, but they have never heard of Mason-Dixon ones. I'm trying to find out why this story keeps insisting; the M-D officially doesn't even touch the state.

http://westjersey.org/mdline.htm

Stu, i just came across this, i do not know if you have seen this.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I've told many people that, yet the stories keep coming up. It's frustrating too because I get what sounds like a genuine lead, and then it's nothing. Like the "marker" on LBI is nothing more than one of those survey disks. A woman from the LBI Chamber of Commerce said she heard that there used to be one somewhere in Beach Haven Terrace...but had no idea where or when. Again, officially the line has nothing to do with NJ, but people keep saying there are markers for it. And I'm not seeing them.
But there's got to be some reason why this persists.

Oct 25, 2006
I've told many people that, yet the stories keep coming up. It's frustrating too because I get what sounds like a genuine lead, and then it's nothing. Like the "marker" on LBI is nothing more than one of those survey disks. A woman from the LBI Chamber of Commerce said she heard that there used to be one somewhere in Beach Haven Terrace...but had no idea where or when. Again, officially the line has nothing to do with NJ, but people keep saying there are markers for it. And I'm not seeing them.
But there's got to be some reason why this persists.

Maybe Guy can further elaborate on the matter.

I came across both of these lines while researching the alleged Mason-Dixon line markers in NJ (as far as I know, there are none). There was supposed to be a marker on LBI somewhere and even one on the Turnpike. I emailed the Turnpike commission and they said there may be some of the East/West Jersey markers nearby, but they have never heard of Mason-Dixon ones. I'm trying to find out why this story keeps persisting; the M-D officially doesn't even touch the state.

I was told as a kid by my grandfather that the M/D line went through LBI. Said it was on Division St. in Surf City

Well the M/D line was done to define the border between PA and MD. If you continue the horizontal line through jersey it looks like it could bisect LBI.

T013968A.gif

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At least two members of this site are part of that website, so you should at some time get some response from them on this subject.

There are about 500 monuments on Long Beach Island and the general vicinity. I don't go there because it is not the pines, but if one did they could spend a lifetime searching. Many of them are tidal monuments and some are underwater. Here is just a partial view of the island monuments.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/misc/markers.jpg

Guy

James:

While the web is a great resource and fuels our desire for instant gratification, we all need to be careful about providing URLs to websites if we cannot vouch for their veracity. In the case of westjersey.org, I can tell you that I have worked with Bob Barnett on portions of his website and I am satisfied with his factual accuracy and historical acumen. Obviously, westjerseyhistory.org is also a great online resource!! However, I cannot respond so positively about other websites associated with and dedicated to New Jersey history. Summoning up a link, be it wikipedia or gothistory.com, cannot replace careful and deliberate research into the past using time-honored methodologies.

Let's be careful out there, people!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

At least two members of this site are part of that website, so you should at some time get some response from them on this subject.

There are about 500 monuments on Long Beach Island and the general vicinity. I don't go there because it is not the pines, but if one did they could spend a lifetime searching. Many of them are tidal monuments and some are underwater. Here is just a partial view of the island monuments.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/misc/markers.jpg

Guy

Guy:

There is a difference between westjersey.org and westjerseyhistory.org. Arlobee owns the former website, while Relayer owns the latter site.

Regarding the Mason-Dixon line, it makes no sense that New Jersey contains or did contain any monuments of a line surveyed to settle the boundary dispute between William Penn's heirs and Lord Baltimore's heirs. I think any fakelore that developed surrounding M-D line monuments in New Jersey stem from the line serving as a defacto division point between the domains of the USA and CSA during the Civil War. And even that does not make sense, since most southern New Jersey counties voted in the majority for Lincoln. In November 1768, Charles Mason and Jermiah Dixon set double crownstones at the north end of the North Line, located in the northeast corner of Maryland where it meets Pennsylvania. This represents their No. 1 monument, meaning no monuments extended eastward beyond this point. Entertaining any thoughts of M-D monuments in New Jersey is just folly, IMHO.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ArloBee

Apr 30, 2005
The Mason-Dixon Line goes through Albania :)

The Mason-Dixon Line goes through Albania :)

Well, in fact it doesn't, but 39 deg 43' N does! And that makes about as much sense as saying the M-D Line goes through New Jersey!

Thank you for the kind words Jerseyman!

I think it just reflects people's intuitive thinking that South Jersey must have had greater affinity with "The South." As you mentioned, South Jersey voted for Lincoln. Also, South Jersey legislators almost always supported the Reconstruction Amendments, when most North Jersey legislators did not. This made the State as a whole appear to be 'copperhead' territory. And of course the vast majority of slavery in New Jersey was in the northern counties.

Sorry I'm entering the discussion late!

Bob