Lawrence Line Survey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, definitely some confusion! :) I was talking about the image IMG_0199.JPG, which is the first attachment (the one on the left) in post #82. The coordinates displayed in that image are 41.71200, -75.05658

View attachment 18906

I would agree that looks more like it. I wonder why the fourth photo has different cords?

In any event, if I run from Marker 10 in the Warren grove area to that rock the line misses some point by 600 feet. So that tells us his line was not straight after leaving south jersey.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I occasionally make trips up that way.Next time I"m up there I will photograph the rock and see if there is an M on it unless of course someone beats me to it.Looks like Anthony took his photo from the river whilst the old photo is taken from the shore but the way the rock tilts and is obviously higher on the river side looks like it could be the same rock.I"ve been wanting to go point hunting up that way in some plowed fields that were major villages back in the day.I could stop there on the way up.Also some shopping spots up there Momma likes to visit.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
IMG_7149a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He is the north jersey explorer of the line. I have not gone up there. Too far for me.

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
Well, I can't be held responsible for any error in the Lat/Lon. Blame Garmin! This rock was in the river. In the topo pic you can see a boat ramp south of the rock, we launched the canoe from there and worked our way north. This was my second trip there. The first I was at work and found myself close by, so I decided to have a look. I was on foot and found it hard to get to the river bank, even harder to get back up to my truck. The second trip was a dedicated search leaving from Jackson NJ. I'm pretty sure this is Station Rock. It's in the right area, there's even signs noting it's close by. It's the only rock with a hole in it that we could find in the area. BTW, that particular Garmin GPS has passed away, it's refuses to turn on with new batteries.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry for not responding sooner. I have been distracted with another project.

Looks like you have the right stone. But as I said before it does not line up with some of the line. But at the time there were complaints about his line not being perfect. He even had to make alterations. I have to say that on the southern end the line is almost exact so the issues occurred heading up that way.

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
  • Love
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
From that link I got a line on, Journal kept by John Lawrence while running the division line between East and West Jersey, 1743. If I'm lucky I get my hands on a copy.

I have that journal. Unless you can find a tree still around from 1743 it won't help you much.
For example, here is a typed version of it.

law.jpg

law2.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It most certainly is the correct rock. However, in my Google Earth it has the rock close to the shore. For some reason Google Earth shows locations off up there.

station.jpg