Lenape Canoe Company

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
I posted this elsewhere in the forum, but thought it might be a good New Thread posting.

Does anyone remember the Lenape Canoe Company in Medford? I bought a 15ft. Lenape Chief in 1971 for $150, heavy fiberglass with a riveted in place aluminum keel and wood seats. It weighed 85 lbs. but it was an awesome boat. Somebody stole it from my sisters backyard in Brooklawn in 1983 and I never saw it again. It was baby blue. Boy do I miss that boat. The following year Lenape changed to a thinner, lighter fiberglass laminate, which made it significantly lighter. A few years later they went out of business. I now own a Mohawk Intrepid 16 ft. made here in FL, no keel so it is nimble and a little unsteady, not good for kids or inexperienced adults. A couple years ago Mohawk went out of business!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Tom still has his Lenape Chief. It's a little banged up (it is over 30 years old!) but still usable.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Does anyone remember the Lenape Canoe Company in Medford? I bought a 15ft. Lenape Chief in 1971 for $150, heavy fiberglass with a riveted in place aluminum keel and wood seats. It weighed 85 lbs...

Good grief! My family had 2 of them, probably bought around 1968? Talk about tanks - that was one boat you were not carrying yourself. We took 'em on the Allagash, down the Lehigh, as well as the pines. With the many patches over the years, they just got heavier. I forget how the one died, but last summer I set the last one free. There's a pond by the Delaware River - took it down to the shore, stuck 2 old life jackets & paddles under it, & taped a sign to the bottom saying something to the effect of "free to good home". It was gone two weeks later.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
i didn't know mohawk went out of business. we still have to solo mohawks and and old town bought directly from the factory in maine. The mohawks are some of the best whitewater canoes i have ever seen or used

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Yes!

i didn't know mohawk went out of business. we still have to solo mohawks and and old town bought directly from the factory in maine. The mohawks are some of the best whitewater canoes i have ever seen or used
That's correct, they produced some of the most awesome whitewater craft I have ever seen, but they did go under. I used to enjoy going to their website to see testimonials and look at photos of whitewater enthusiasts.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Yes, tanks!

Good grief! My family had 2 of them, probably bought around 1968? Talk about tanks - that was one boat you were not carrying yourself. We took 'em on the Allagash, down the Lehigh, as well as the pines. With the many patches over the years, they just got heavier. I forget how the one died, but last summer I set the last one free. There's a pond by the Delaware River - took it down to the shore, stuck 2 old life jackets & paddles under it, & taped a sign to the bottom saying something to the effect of "free to good home". It was gone two weeks later.

My friend Tom and I lashed my Lenape Chief to the rigging of a pontoon plane and flew into Grand Lake Seboise in northern Maine, for a week of wilderness camping and fishing. The wind blew so hard that week we hardly had a chance to go out. The "Lakes" and "Ponds" of Maine are oceanic in proportion, and when the wind blows you've got whitecaps and waves comparable to the ocean! The Lenape Chief does not have much freeboard, which makes it ideal for little rivers and steams, but when you get out in rough open water you're taking quite a risk. But, my real question is, I thought the factory was in Medford. Is that correct? I bought my canoe from a salesman who parked a big trailer load over in Audubon on the Black Horse Pike at the Penny's parking lot.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
I know!

Tom still has his Lenape Chief. It's a little banged up (it is over 30 years old!) but still usable.

Yes, I plan to fish with Tom in October during the SAOFAHF fishing tournament, and in THAT canoe, which I believe is about 35 years old!!!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
hooky from work

Yes, I plan to fish with Tom in October during the SAOFAHF fishing tournament, and in THAT canoe, which I believe is about 35 years old!!!

Tom sent me an e-mail at 3:15 yesterday that he was off work early. By 5 we were on Batsto lake in THAT canoe (I call it the bondo special). Lots of good times still left in that boat. We were on the water till dark, great evening!

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
UR Makin' Me Sick!

Tom sent me an e-mail at 3:15 yesterday that he was off work early. By 5 we were on Batsto lake in THAT canoe (I call it the bondo special). Lots of good times still left in that boat. We were on the water till dark, great evening!
Fishin' on a Monday, man do I envy you guys!!!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I also had a 15' Lenape, red, that was stolen from my backyard as our dog slept almost right next to it. It was right around the same time yours was taken. It was newer than yours, forget the year. I now have a 10' Hornbeck, weighs 16lbs sopping wet, and a 15' Mad River, 70lbs bone dry. Guess which one gets the most use.....

Last edited:

KRP

Jun 26, 2011
HI, THERE IS A 15' 6'' LENAPE CHIEF CANOE FORSALE IN BAYVILLE NJ 08721. THANKS KRP

hardhatandwings

Mar 28, 2017
Buena NJ
I posted this elsewhere in the forum, but thought it might be a good New Thread posting.

Does anyone remember the Lenape Canoe Company in Medford? I bought a 15ft. Lenape Chief in 1971 for $150, heavy fiberglass with a riveted in place aluminum keel and wood seats. It weighed 85 lbs. but it was an awesome boat. Somebody stole it from my sisters backyard in Brooklawn in 1983 and I never saw it again. It was baby blue. Boy do I miss that boat. The following year Lenape changed to a thinner, lighter fiberglass laminate, which made it significantly lighter. A few years later they went out of business. I now own a Mohawk Intrepid 16 ft. made here in FL, no keel so it is nimble and a little unsteady, not good for kids or inexperienced adults. A couple years ago Mohawk went out of business!
I found this forum by accident. I was looking to see if the Lenape chief canoe co was still around . My parents have a 14' glass from the late 60 early 70s and are looking to sell it . I was trying to see how much they are going for , for them

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Here is a link to an earlier thread discussing them. The company is out of business. Might try a search for other used ones to get a pricing idea.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/lenape-canoe-company.4633/
Here is a link to an earlier thread discussing them. The company is out of business. Might try a search for other used ones to get a pricing idea.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/lenape-canoe-company.4633/

My brother Tom still has his Lenape Chief, 40+ years old. The problem is we are wearing out, not the canoe. We are both at a vintage age were we're having trouble transporting it, it's just to darn heavy. I have a Sears canoe, 15' fiberglass that only weighs 65 pounds. I bought in the tool section at sears in the Deptford mall in 1981. It still floats so I still use it, but I can no longer lift it. I drag it to my truck and push it into the bed. Get to the lake and slide out.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We are both at a vintage age were we're having trouble transporting it, it's just to darn heavy.

Yep, the reason I sold my 15' Mad River Duck Hunter at 70lbs.

165215573.jpg

Saved up and got a lightweight 15', 37lbs.

129673297.jpg