Lets discuss QoS settings

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What do you know about QoS settings on a router?

This did not happen before but now when I upload videos to youtube it pretty much stops all downloading on my network. Everyone gets cut off and I can't even read my mail. So I did some checking and found that if I change the QoS settings on my router to 190 or so I can upload and everyone can still surf the web slowly. I believe doing this gives more priority to download speeds. My main question is if I change the speed to 150 or so will that effect normal internet surfing? How low can I go without effecting normal traffic?

Also, if you are on Comcast what is your upload speed? Mine appears to be really slow at .14Mbps.

http://www.speedtest.net/?test-5

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just read that to fix slow upload speeds I should upgrade the firmware on my router which I did. My upload speeds are now 10 times faster than they have been all morning. That may have solved my problem.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I just read that to fix slow upload speeds I should upgrade the firmware on my router which I did. My upload speeds are now 10 times faster than they have been all morning. That may have solved my problem.

I own my modem and router and try to check quarterly using comcasts online chat for any recommended updates for the modem. If there are, then the router gets checked. There is probably an easier way to do it myself, but I get a transcript from them in case of problems, and with comcast you never know.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
From your info I would say you have a typical Comcast speed and all is maybe semi well. My upload speed was consistantly in the .14 range and now it is in the 7.0 range. Not perfect but much better than before.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From your info I would say you have a typical Comcast speed and all is maybe semi well. My upload speed was consistantly in the .14 range and now it is in the 7.0 range. Not perfect but much better than before.

Comcast has several internet speed plans. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes, but if you look their plans over they are "Up to 25Mbps download speeds" and then they jump "Up to 105Mbps download speeds." So I suspect Ed and I have the same speed plan. I have the "Performance Internet" plan which is up to 25Mbps.

http://www.comcast.com/cable-internet-packages.html

They have 5 internet plans from up to 3 to 150Mbps download, plus a few combo packages for streaming TV and movies.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Three readings from tonight:

Download: 30.06, 14.26, 23.87

Upload: 1.07, .97, .63

The Upload speed is quite low like mine was. What is the firmware version of your router?

If you have Netgear try this using "admin" and "password" unless you have changed it.

http://routerlogin.net

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have the Belkin N+ wireless router. I think I'll let this sleeping dog alone. I tried the upload speed again today and it was 4.0. Since I don't use upload a lot I'm not going chance screwing something up by updating. The procedures are a little complex.

Reactions: Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have the Belkin N+ wireless router. I think I'll let this sleeping dog alone. I tried the upload speed again today and it was 4.0. Since I don't use upload a lot I'm not going chance screwing something up by updating. The procedures are a little complex.

Bob, I had a Belkin Pre-N router that gave me nothing but problems. I dumped it for a Cisco/Linksys G+ Booster wrt54gs2; found it for around $50. Using it with the Belkin network card. Been happy ever since. Check the wireless card in your system; should be at least up to your router specs.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Well Guy I have comcast.If you tell me how to find out what my upload speeds are
"ll let you know. I download youtube vids through the youtube downloader and I download at usually 2.5 to 3.5 megs a second.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have never heard of any home user needing to adjust QoS settings. That's usually used to prioritize VoIP traffic.

In my case I have to assume my youtube upload was taking priority of all other traffic and everything stopped here except the upload. It never did it before but it does now. It just means that I will have to do it at night or when nobody else here is using the internet. That is hard to do on the weekends since the usage here then is high.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well Guy I have comcast.If you tell me how to find out what my upload speeds are
"ll let you know. I download youtube vids through the youtube downloader and I download at usually 2.5 to 3.5 megs a second.

Go to post 3 and click on the link.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I had a Belkin Pre-N router that gave me nothing but problems. I dumped it for a Cisco/Linksys G+ Booster wrt54gs2; found it for around $50. Using it with the Belkin network card. Been happy ever since. Check the wireless card in your system; should be at least up to your router specs.

I actually never use the wireless card. I only run my desktop in the house, and that is hard-wired right into the router.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I actually never use the wireless card. I only run my desktop in the house, and that is hard-wired right into the router.

I do the same. If you check your speed with wireless and then hard wired, you will want to skip the wireless.