Linear mounds in Stafford WMA

Sand In My Boots

Aug 6, 2011

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This tract of land first shows disturbance in 1972 as you mention which you can see below. Most likely it started as a sand operation of some sort but why it was disturbed the way it was is not known by me. It is bounded by the Stafford/Eagleswood Township line. It also meets up with the Lawrence Line at the very far right side. The Lawrence # 9 stone is nearby that area.

Your best bet to get the info you want if you don't learn it from this site is to go to Pete Stemmers blog and ask him. He is from Bass River but knows that area well.

http://bassriverhistory.blogspot.com/

The 1972 aerial showing what looks like a sand operation of some sort.

1972.jpg

The Lawrence #9 stone surveyed in 1745 and most likely placed there in the 1800s.

Lawrence_9.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I remember that stone,cracked apart from the heat and scorched.
I drove right through that area while visiting the Lawrence Line stones and it is heavily disturbed.That area kind of reminded me of an area out along oyster creek affectionately referred to as "The Maze" by TBJ.I ran into once out there with his younger son Cody.He was chain smoking again and looked annoyed at the ATV riders lined up between the maze and the creek and a semi desert area created by ATV's.I don't know why the Maze looks like it does or why this area does just that both are obviously manmade.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There are similar disturbances that can be seen on the 1930 aerial just west of the current location of Freedom Fields County Park, on Rt. 539. I’ve always assumed they were part of the local town dump that was located there at one time. I thought they were rows of soil that later were bulldozed over the refuse. But I’ve explored the area in question near Stafford Forge, curious about those lines too, and found no evidence of an old landfill.

Sand In My Boots

Aug 6, 2011
I'll have to check in with Pete I guess. My first guess was landfill, but the Stafford landfill appears to already be in operation at that time (on the 1972 map). The appearance of the two are fairly similar though, maybe they started off as mining operations? Likewise, there's another landfill not far from there thats from at least the 50s, but it looks quite a bit different on the maps and on the ground. Maybe I'll dig around out there next time I'm out there and see what the soil looks like in those mounds. A shovel can be quite a handy investigating tool and dirt can tell you a lot!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Let us know what you find. I know I would be interested. I wish I had stopped in there when I was on the Lawrence Line searching for the stones.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Headed out early today to try to make it to the area mentioned in this thread. On the way we found this animal to still be in the same location as the last time we passed by a few weeks ago. It must be really hungry by now.

IMG_8050.JPG

A member of this site told me about an old dump hidden deep in the woods, and Jessica I am managed to get to it today and checked it out. It is a bottle collectors dream. There are thousands of fully intact bottle all over and many more I am sure still buried in the large mound.

IMG_8051.JPG

IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

Unfortunately, Jessica looked down at her pants and they were completely coated in Chiggers and we had not sprayed with Off. So we bailed out before we explored the area fully and sprayed her and myself down.

Just a few of the manyChiggers

IMG_8056.JPG

Then we headed to the area this thread is about. I looked the linear mounds over and they appears to be just mounds of dirt pushed from the grading. I still think it was the first attempt to clear the area for some sort of development or project and that is as far as it got.

Here is the very point and a photo of it.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.699460572011084&lng=-74.33083534240723&z=16&type=h&gpx=

IMG_8057.JPG

We then headed to what I have been told is "Chevy Pond." It has run out of gas as you can see.

IMG_8059.JPG

This was in the pond. Jessica describes her adventure in the cart as "claustrophobic."

IMG_8058.JPG

Guy

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Thanks Guy,

I'm always entertained by your adventures! Often times disturbed areas like that make better habitat for the rare plants and critters than they would have been in the natural state. By the way, is Chevy Pond natural?

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Guy,

I'm always entertained by your adventures! Often times disturbed areas like that make better habitat for the rare plants and critters than they would have been in the natural state. By the way, is Chevy Pond natural?

S-M

Thanks Mark! Yes, it appears it is natural since it was there in 1931 and there is a stream there.

Speaking of critters, I guess a deer was laying in the bottles hidden from us when we arrived, and after we started moving around we heard a 5 second crashing of bottles as the deer made it's escape directly though the dump. It sounded like a bar when they take their empties out and throw them in the trash. It was quite loud :)

Guy

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Guy,

So, yes, it is a natural feature – a riverine spung not unlike Watering Place Pond. Its moniker may have nothing to do with automobiles. According to the Oxford English Dictionary "chevy" is a hunting cry or hunting pursuit. Many spungs have terms related to the pursuit of game game like "Sound Pond" in Hammonton, which means a hunting pond, and Duck Pond, Goose Pond, and Bears Hole. Chevy Chase in MD is so named for hunting grounds, where a famous British battle took place in 1388.

Huh, a beer-guzzling doe. What she wouldn't do for a couple of bucks...

S-M

Reactions: Ben Ruset

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tis a far cry from the Atsion Ranger station, but it would be well worth it if a team were to make it out to that pond and spruce it up real nice like during the annual cleanup.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes...chiggers are out, and she has found a few still on her.

Bob ... it is a nice little pond and deserves better for sure.

Guy

Sand In My Boots

Aug 6, 2011
Not sure of the origin of Chevy Pond, although it is pretty square. I was told that it some years its got water in it and other years its completely dry. It would be nice to clean it up for sure!

Since my last post I've been in communication with Pete from Bass River, who said that my area in question is outside his area of expertise. I was out there recently with a shovel and just found sand in the mounds. Likely some project that whos full potential was never fully realized, or, may have been halted by the Pinelands Presevation Act around 79 or 80. I found a couple of property markers in the area of the dump, one in a pond.

One here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=...=-74.31156635284424&z=16&type=m&gpx=undefined

and one here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=...=-74.31221008300781&z=16&type=m&gpx=undefined

MG

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That's a lot of chiggers. Actually makes me glad I'm not in the woods. Looks like you found a nice bottle dump, Guy. Those are always fascinating on several levels. I know a spot with a pretty good dump hidden up in the hills NE of the Del. Water Gap. Been meaning to go back and sift around in it for four years now and have never found the time.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
This area in question is my favorite "pit" in the pines. the western most area is a large bowl like pit on top of a mountain (well, you know). when you ride to the top of the sides you are welcomed by a beautiful vista. I have many photos of this area but I still haven't been able to get photos on the site since the format change. There are many coyote in the area.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This area in question is my favorite "pit" in the pines. the western most area is a large bowl like pit on top of a mountain (well, you know). when you ride to the top of the sides you are welcomed by a beautiful vista. I have many photos of this area but I still haven't been able to get photos on the site since the format change. There are many coyote in the area.

Jeff
Jeff,

You have Comcast and have tons of free space to store your photo's. You need to get an FTP client. It is easy and fast once you get it set up. I don't know about this one but you may want to give it a try. If you need help let me know.

http://filezilla-project.org/

Guy