Linear mounds in Stafford WMA

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark, I know it would be a real good story to say it is Chevy because of the hunter's pursuit, but when I visited that with Guy last year I noticed some really heavy iron along the margin, and likely buried in the mud. I'm talkin' about heads, alternator, tire rims, etc. Maybe a '57.

Guy, wasn't Jess in the same cart last year? She must really want to be a bag lady. :p

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/revisiting-the-marble-spung-and-other-locations.6586/

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Bob, Thanks for pointing that out. That's why the "maybe." It's best to collect place names from old documents, but that isn't always possible. In retrospect some of the modern names are every bit as tantalizing, like the Barkley Ponds named by the botanist Hirst brothers for nearby hound yelps, and now Chevy Pond for a derelict wreck. Besides, that's the North Jersey part of the Pines so out of my purview!

Cheers, S-M

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Back in the 70's there was actually a 50's vintage chevy car in the pond. Because of that the people I was with just named it Chevy pond. The name stuck, but whether they named it or it was called that previous to their finding I can't verify. Right after the Warren Grove fire in '07 there was close to a dozen deer carcasses in the pond. I guess they fled to escape the fire and were either cooked or suffocated from lack of O2. If you happen to find deer skeletons, it's from then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Without going into the finer details, the clerk in the town told me without the block and lot number they would have no way of knowing the tract of land I was referring to. Granted, it is a pretty common looking piece of property :rolleyes:

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look at the photo of me standing in the water on the outing last year at the lake, you may have remembered me saying my phone happened to be in the zipper pocket way down on the side of my leg. It took days to get that phone working again and it was never right after that. Well, this week after visiting there I threw the same pants in the washer and my phone was again in that pocket. Luckily, this one worked much sooner but the screen looks waterlogged.

IMG_5239.JPG

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was in that pit if it is the one at the below link. I was concentrating on not getting my car stuck and did not look around. I will be back there and check it out.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.696752935901785&lng=-74.32837843894958&z=17&type=h&gpx=

What route did you use to get there? I came in from Warren Grove but if there is an easier route for my car I want to try that.

Guy

Yes, that is the correct one. I approach it on the motorcycle from the south on trails not suitable for car or truck. I recall you can access it from an access road along the parkway, but it is pretty muddy most of the time.

Jeff

Demolition_x

Feb 16, 2011
I have been back there once and I came in from Pancoast road >Micaja S Rd

From my memory that route was fine for any vehicle.

I left and took service road next to the parkway. On the way out there were a few mud holes that were a little hairy and I had to take a different line through. Just don't go through the center of the puddles and you will be ok.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

That is the place :) The slideshow worked but they go somewhat too fast. Is there a way for you to slow them down?

Update: I see that I can manually work my way through them so no need to slow them down.

Guy