Loading 2 different maps in a Garmin?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, I have just spent the last few hours "hacking" my TomTom GPS.... and to my amazement I've learned that you actually CAN load satellite images and scanned topo maps into it! Wow. I'm beginning to think there's nothing these things can't do.

I will start a thread on this topic after I can put the info into a digestable form of some sort. But basically the technique is very similar to one used to display tracks on real maps using your computer. Turns out the TomTom is capable of displaying a calibrated image in any scale in lieu of its built-in maps. And it will then overlay the roads on the GPS screen so you can still use it for routing! I have a map of the area around my house working for this right now.

This might make the less expensive TomTom units a great choice for pines exploration, especially if we start making and sharing our own maps. TomTom has an entry level GPS for $150: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8476543&type=product&id=1186004742264

And a widescreen version for $250 (same resolution screen as the Nuvi 750): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355282&type=product&id=1176507246642

More to follow...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yes, in the Browse screen you can find a location by coordinates which you enter on the touchscreen keypad. You can also save coordinates as a favorite. There's also an option to display coordinates on the screen as you travel. I don't have the GPS here right now, but I'm not sure whether you can later edit the coordinates like you can on the Garmin units. However, everything is file-based on this unit, and there are utility for converting and editing these files.

Google Maps are very interoperable with the TomToms also. They just intoduced a function where you can send the results of a map search directly to your GPS and use it as a destination. There's also a very cool hack which lets you plan your route with Google maps and drag the resulting file to the TomTom where you can use it.

I spent a little while wandering around the woods with my TomTom yesterday and was disappointed however. The cursor didn't keep up with my movements even though there was a good satellite lock. I think it's optimized for auto use and walking speed isn't fast enough for it to realize you're moving, so it assumes it's getting bad data until you travel a certain distance.

But for driving around the pines it's pretty cool to see your position on the Google Earth images :)

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Boyd the street pilot series for Garmin, are they not even worth looking at. Do they pick up any woods or can you even load topo?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I used a StreetPilot 2620 for a number of years and that was a breakthrough unit. The new streetpilot series has been dumbed down a lot from what I've seen. I don't know if they work with Topos, or how much memory they have available if they do.

The Nuvi's are better technology IMO. They have the SiRF chips for better reception, the widescreen models have higher resolution, and I gather that the screens tend to be a little dim in bright sun on the Streetpilots.

Also, the Nuvi's connect to your PC or Mac like an external disk drive so many things can be done by just dragging and dropping files. The StreetPilots just use the USB interface like a serial port, and you have to use special software (Like MapSource) to do everything. I don't think they have internal batteries either (do they?) so you can't hike around with them, and they've bigger and bulkier.

Personally they don't interest me, but you might find some bargains. You might visit this website if you're interested in GPS'es, it's one of my favorite forums which covers almost all makes and models: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

They have a streetpilot forum, and if you visit the Nuvi forum you'll also find some threads comparing the two lines.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Thats site is great. It didn't take long forget about the street pilot. for what i want it is the nuvi series

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I have been using Garmin gps12 hand held for fishing mostly. I have had this unit for around 10 years and it has served me well.
I've been wanting to get a unit for the car and after reading this thread and doing some research, I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 260. Christmas gift for self :) No more mapquest! :dance:

I'm hoping I can use the topo maps with this to help find streams and rivers and other obscure poi's that wont show on the regular map.
oc1.png
yak.png

Has anyone loaded topo maps into a Nuvi?
From what I read on Garmin's site it seem like I should be able to use topo maps, but with some of the features limited with this model.:confused:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Topo maps should work fine on your Nuvi, but you may need to load them on an SD card if there isn't enough internal memory left. Topo maps can't do routing regardless of what GPS you install them on.

Garmin sells the maps on DVD or also pre-loaded on SD cards. The SD cards appear to be a handy solution but beware, because (from what I've read) they will only work on the GPS itself, where the DVD version can be loaded on your PC and viewed there. They also aren't such a good deal on SD cards IIRC. I believe you have to buy separate cards for different parts of the country, but the DVD has everything.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I checked out the link to the Garmin topo software above.
It would be nice to get the cd but if I had to use the card it's not a big deal as one card would cover my main area of interest.

So when you say the topo maps can't do routing, does this mean you cant enter a location and navigate there in topo mode??

When you switch to topo mode will it show your position on the map?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This thread has strayed pretty far from the original question, but this brings us back to complete the circle :) The Nuvi will come pre-loaded with street maps of North America which can be used for routing (tell the GPS where you want to go and it tells you how to get there). If you load the Topo maps then you'll need to go to the Map Settings menu and tap the Map Info button. That will show a list of all the maps stored in your unit, which will just be two in this case - City Navigator and US Topo 2008. There's a checkbox next to each which allows you to select it. In addition to these maps, there will also be a very primitive "basemap" that has some of the main roads for the whole country. The basemap is always there and can't be turned off.

So if you turn OFF the City and Topo maps, you'll see this crude basemap. Now the maps behave sort of like layers in Photoshop - they stack on top of each other. Unfortunately the stacking order is predfined and you can't change that. If you turn on the City maps they will always cover up the topo maps.

Now to get back to your question... If you turn off the city maps and turn on the topo maps, the GPS will attempt to route you using only the basemap. And since that map doesn't have very many roads on it, the route will probably be incomplete and not very useful. For example, if you wanted to go from Cherry Hill to Brooksbrae it might send you down Route 70 and just stop because the basemap doesn't have any local roads.

However, you can sort of fudge this with a few limitations. If you turn off the topos and turn on the city maps, you could get a decent route to Brooksbrae (using the above example) and all the roads would be highlighted in pink. Then you could TURN OFF the city maps and turn on the topos. Now you would have the route highlighted in pink on the topo map. BUT you would probably have some issues along the way. The GPS will tend to get confused and not realize you've actually made turns as instructed, since the map the route is based on is no longer available. That is a minor annoyance but not a big problem. A bigger problem comes when you decide to take a different road, or miss a turn completely. When the GPS notices this, it tries to calculate a new route based on your current position. But the city map isn't available while the topo is being displayed, so the best it can do is route you with the basemap, and that will have the issues I mentioned above.

Heh, have I totally confused you yet? :)

I would avoid the preloaded SD cards if possible, because you can't view maps on your PC, and you never know when you might want a map of Yosemite or the Grand Canyon, which won't be on the US Topo East card. With the disk version you can just buy your own SD card (they're cheap) and load whatever maps you want.

Also, if you want to use the multimedia features on the Nuvis (photos, music) you'll want a blank SD card for that, which would be in conflict with the pre-recorded topo cards.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Lots of info, i think will be revisiting this thread when i get my GPS, It was between the 650 and the 350, i went 650, so hopefully i will get it for christamas I hope

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Thanks Boyd for taking the time to explain that.
I totally understand what you are saying.
Maybe you should consider offering your services to Best Buy. The salesman there were clueless as to how the GPS's operated............Mike

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
LOL - that's not quite the career path I have in mind, but thanks for the compliment anyway! :)

I was just at Circuit City and the GPS section was crowded with everyone trying to ask the sales-droid questions. I think this is going to be the "year of the GPS" in terms of Christmas gifts. They are finally getting cheap enough and user-friendly enough to be a commodity.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect after Christmas I know what some of the most popular questions will be on this site. Oh well, we were all new at it once!

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
sorry guys one more question, So now best buy is offering the 750 for 100 dollars cheaper than the 650, why is it all of the sudden cheaper? did it have problems should i stick with the 650 if i can find it cheaper than the 750 at other places

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Spend a little while reading about the 750 here and draw your own conclusions.... if you can from the conflicting reports! http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=172

This 75 page thread wanders off topic quite a bit, but there's also some good info: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96248

This might be cause for concern, but it doesn't seem to be a clear case: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102346

I think the 750 is cheaper to manufacture, and it was expected to cost less than the 650. It has some very nice upgrade features though, like a QWERTY keyboard, the ability to record tracks and the ability to load and save custom routes. But the flip-up antenna on the 650 provides better reception. However it would be a problem carrying in your pocket with the antenna open.

If the issues discussed in those threads don't scare you away, it would seem like a better choice.

Just gave my 650 to my daughter and son in law who are headed off on a trip tomorrow. They're thrilled with it :)

Also - I never saw a 650 at Best Buy in the past. They were carrying the 760, and that was a more expensive model. So maybe that's what you were thinking of when you saw the more expensive one. Or are you looking at their website? In the stores they had the 680 and the 760, but not the 650 or 750,

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Thanks boyd, yea i actually went to the gps passion before i posted yesterday, but it is so tough because half the people love, the other half don't, it was tough to get a read on what is actually better. And yes it was on the website it wasn't at a store. I saw a post from you on the 750 vs 650 post. I think honestly either one will work fine for me, but i was thinking if i can get one iwth more options at a cheaper price why not. But then i was thinking there might be a reason for that. But i will continue to read those new threads on the gps passion, i love the website but at times it tough to follow, it seems sometimes stuff is all over the place, But thanks again boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
FWIW, if I was buying today I'd get the 750. If you want to use it on foot or even just driving the little sand roads, the ability to display the tracklog would be a huge plus. And creating/saving your own routes is also very handy. But the 650 is a champ when it comes to GPS reception because of the antenna.