Loading 2 different maps in a Garmin?

box986

Dec 1, 2007
Hello,

I have a Garmin Quest with CityStreets loaded in which I like to use in the car. I am interested in the Topo Maps and would like to load this into the Quest as well for my travels in the Pine Barrens. Will the two maps overlay each other? Will the unit allow me to load both maps together?

Thanks!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
On my GPSMap 76CS I can choose to have the basemap, CitySelect, or Topo maps to show.

If you have the Cityselect map showing, it won't show the Topo. Since I don't need my GPS for navigation anymore, I just leave it with the basemap and Cityselect off, and just have the topo showing.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We do the same thing with our 60CSX. The topo maps rock! You just have to remember to turn back on the city map when navigating or the thing tends to have a brain seizure.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
I am looking to get a gps for christmas, i was actually looking at garmins. Any problems or any suggestions?

box986

Dec 1, 2007
The Quest will talk when plugged into the included DC 12V cig. lighter plug/windshield mount and has a decent battery (lasts 12-20 hours) for the trails. The 60C is definitely a better unit for hiking but the Quest is better for the car and does a decent job in the woods along with being waterproof (like the 60c). The 60C looks more durable and the magnetic compass is a big bonus but does not come with any car mounting brackets or 12V lighter plug.

If you could swing it, the best scenario is having the 60C for the trails and a Nuvi for the car. I compromised and use the Quest for both but after playing with a Nuvi in the car, I have asked Santa for one :)

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I have the GPSMAP 60CS. It's the predecessor to what you folks have. Mine does not have the memory card and is limited to 56k of memory for loaded maps. I too run with City Navigator and Topo loaded. When I'm in the woods, I turn off City Navigator and let Topo take over.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I also have a GPSMap 60csx and like it. Choosing a GPS has gotten to be a very complex task today though since there area lot of models. As much as I like the 60csx, its real weakness is the quality of the display, which is 5 or 6 year old technology. The screen is very low resolution - 160x240 pixels - which is pretty bad by today's standards. It can also only show 256 colors which limits the quality of the map display. It's hard to read the screen unless the light is good, and the backlight is too dim (plus it sucks down the battery quickly). This isn't a "deal breaker", but it's a disappointment for what is otherwise a really nicely designed unit.

The 60csx uses the newer technology SiRF GPS chip than the GPSMap 60. The SiRF chipset is much, much better at getting a signal in difficult locations, like heavy forests. I owned three other GPS'es before getting a SiRF based unit, and they would often lose signal (usually at the worst possible time :) ). However there's a downside to the SiRF chips - they favor getting a signal over accuracy. Usually this isn't a problem but as an example, an older GPS might not get a signal at all in the dense woods, but the SiRF unit might get a signal but show your position 50 feet away from where you really are.

If you want a GPS with topo maps then you will need to stick with either Garmin or Magellan. TomTom makes some really nice units (I recently got one), but no topo maps are available. I haven't used the Magellan topo maps for several years, after selling my Meridian Gold GPS. But at that time I felt the Garmin maps were better. This may have changed since then. Magellan just introduced the Triton series of handheld GPS'es which look very cool. The top of the line units have touch screens and other advanced features. I'm not sure whether these are even available yet since they're so new and I haven't seen any reviews. But if they deliver on everything they promise then I suspect they'll give Garmin a run for its money and set a new standard.

If your use is primarily for the car with occasional hikes you might consider the Garmin Nuvi 750 or 760. They have built-in batteries which will run the unit for several hours, they will do voice prompts, and can use both topo and city maps. The big plus is the quality of the screens, which are 480x272 pixels (that's more than 3 times the resolution of the 60csx screen). This means you see more of the map, and they also show thousands of colors which makes the map look better.

The downside is that these units are primarily aimed at auto use and are missing many of the "outdoor" menu functions such as a compass, elevation profiles, etc. They also use touchscreen techology, which IMO is a good thing most of the time. It's a lot easier typing things on an on-screen keyboard than using a cursor button for example. The battery is non-removable and won't last as long as a unit like the 60csx so it won't be great for an all day hike. And the ergonomics are not as good as a unit designed for outdoor use. They're also not waterproof.

Happy shopping, hope you find something you like!

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Thanks for the info, yea its tough it almost seems like maybe i should get one for the car and a seperate one for the woods, theres a lot ot choose from

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If you get a Nuvi, I suggest the 700 series as Garmin seems to have finally listened to some of the complaints about features missing in the rest of their line. The 700 series is the only one which can record a tracklog and display it on the screen, which is a pretty basic thing most of us here would expect. None of the other Nuvi's record a track, so you can't import it into software on your computer.

It's also the only Nuvi series which can have custom routes with user defined points along the way. All the others are limited to a simple start point, destination and a maximum of one stop along the way. And they can't load or save routes to mapsource either like the 700 series can.

The 750 is the less expensive model: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10625 but the big box stores seem to mostly carry the 760 instead, which includes traffic and hand-free phone features: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10624

I have a Nuvi 650 which I'm giving as a Christmas present this year, and have replaced it with a TomTom 920T. TomTom has gained a lot of ground on Garmin recently and I think their hardware and software are better now. And they are "hackable" too because they run on linux.... you can't login to a root shell on a Garmin GPS, but you can on TomTom :dance: So there are some third party applications which run on the TomToms, and some utility programs which let you design your own map color schemes and menu heirarchies.

They also have something cool called "Mapshare" which lets you correct mistakes on the map and share the corrections with others if you like. And just a few days ago they announced a Google partnership which allows you to send search results directly to your GPS from your computer (http://www.tomtom.com/page/tomtom-on-google-maps?Lid=1)

But the big problem is that TomTom has no Topo maps like Garmin.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
So lets say i didn't have 7 or 8 hundred dollars, what is the difference between a 300 dollar and a seven hundered dollar, is it basically memory

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'll use Best Buy as a benchmark for prices - not suggesting this is the best place to buy a GPS though. Looking at "all-in-one" (AIO) units from Garmin...

For $630 you can get the Nuvi 760, which includes a traffic receiver and hands free telephone: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8539156&type=product&id=1188559780712

For $500 you can get the Nuvi 750 which is basically the same unit without the traffic receiver and telephone: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8539165&type=product&id=1188559780779

I wouldn't recommend any of the other Nuvi's if you want to explore the pines because they don't have the tracklog feature and can't exchange routes with MapSource. Both of these have pre-loaded street maps of the whole US and Canada but you would have to buy the topo maps, and probably an SD memory card to hold them, so that's going to cost maybe $120 more.

For a handheld Garmin the GPSMap 60csx is $405: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8539334&type=product&id=1188559781302

Or the Etrex Legend C for $342: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8474108&type=product&id=1185268804006

Actually I'm a little surprised to see the Legend C on their site because I thought it was discontinued. I got rid of mine and upgraded to the 60csx which uses the SiRF chip. It gets much better reception in the woods, no comparison there. It also only has 24 MB of memory with no card slot. The 60csx has a micro SD card slot so you can pop 2GB flash memory into it. There are a couple newer versions of the Legend though:

The Legend CX has a card slot like the 60csx, but no SiRF chip: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=327

The Legend Hcx is the same, but uses a new chipset of some kind (not SiRF) which is supposed to get better reception: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8701

I think that page at Best Buy is just out of date, since the MSRP on the Legend Hcx is $290 - that would certainly be a better deal.

However, the handhelds don't include any maps at all. So at minimum you would need to buy City Navigator NT which lists for $140 to get road maps: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp#cd

Then you would also want US Topo 2008 which lists for $117: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topous.jsp

So if you want both kinds of maps there is some advantage to getting the Nuvi 750 since you don't have to buy the City maps. Of course there are some compromises (mentioned in my other post) to using a Nuvi in the woods. But the screen is way better, and I think the CPU is more powerful because it will scroll and zoom faster than the handhelds.

If you want a color screen and at least the topo maps, I don't think you can find anything for much under $400.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Boyd thanks so much for taking the time to explain these things, i didn't realize you had to add these maps, thats something to think about. I really appreciate it. I have been doin research but your info is much easier to understand, my girlfriend wanted to get it for me as a gift but thats too pricey for her so ill just ask for a gift card and fork out the rest. So ill will do some more research and let you know what i end up getting, Thanks so much

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
No problem Andy, as you can see I'm kinda GPS-obsessed :)

If you're on a tight budget and can accept some compromises, you might consider the Nuvi 200: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8286516&type=product&id=1172880157518 which is $200. It has North America street maps pre-loaded and spoken directions (without text-to-speech though, so it would say "turn left in 500 feet" instead of "turn left on Main Street in 500 feet"). You could add the topo maps and a SD card later for around $100.

As I said above, the Nuvi's are ok for hiking around, but not ideal. For one thing, I wouldn't want to carry one around in the rain, or if you dropped it in a creek it would probably be shot.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
I think i want the text to speech so im thinking maybe Nuvi 350, and then maybe next year getting the handheld one. Even if i upgrade the 350 i would be worried about water, thats a real good point. I would hate to drop a 400 hundred dollar unit in a puddle. Although wow with all these options its seems like the more i research the more i realize i have no idea what i want. But boyd that Nuvi 200 is a great price that might be tough to pass up for the money. See I told you i have no idea, i think i typed 10 different options just in this paragraph.