Lock's Bridge

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Tracker Jim,

I want to know about Kline's Tavern. I associate Kline and Shoemaker as German heritage. Wilber & Hand (1889: Illustrated History of the Town of Hammonton: With an Account of its Soil, Climate and Industries) talk about old Dutchys as the first settlers, as does Heston (Dutchtown). What is Charles K. Landis' middle name, but Kline? Who buys Atsion land but Michael Landis? Chuckie even opens a new tavern in 1855 on the Camden & Atlantic adjacent to the Green Tree Tavern. He also helps establish New Germany (Folsom & Newtonville).

Plan of Farms as Laid Out by the Weymouth Farms & Agricultural Company (1855) showing Landis' tavern.​

S-M

S-M,
Don't know if this is the Cline's Tavern you are interested in, but this is from the Burlington County Divisions book B . If not here is some info on Cline's Tavern on Atsion Road.The last time I was in the Clerk's office in Mt Holly a lot of the old books were missing. There location in the racks were empty. However, I do remember seeing some division books.

Henry Drinker, of Philadelphia, Penna., merchant , and his wife Elizabeth, and Rachel Drinker, Henry Drinker, Jr., & Joseph D. Drinker, executors of the will of John Drinker, dec'd. & Wm. Hartshorn, & Wm. Salter, trustees for the heirs of Lawrence Salter, dec'd, sell2 lots in Goshen Neck, Evesham Tp., to Ephraim Cline on 13th Feb 1802. Petition for correction in boundaries . Samuel Richardson , of Phila., owner of adjacent land being willing that the boundaries should be justly and fairly established. Land lay along the road from Medford to Atsion. Recorded 1st. Sept. 1837.

This looks like the Cline's Tavern property on Atsion Rd. I have seen Ephraim's named spelled Cline, Kline, Klein. The 1802 date would be about the time Cline's tavern opened, shortly after Atsion Rd became a mail route in 1797. Ephraim Cline was married to Rachel Salter, daughter of Joseph Salter of "Salter's Ditch" fame.

I think Samuel Richardson should be Samuel Richards the owner of the Atsion property at the time.

FWIW - From Reesman genealogy, Charles K. Landis' grandmother's name was Mary Klein. Again the spelling?

Don

P.S. You know you are getting old when you bring out your notes and the edges are brown.

Reactions: Spung-Man

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Did anyone notice that the Sailor Boy Tavern was owned by Charles Shoemaker and heirs?

The Desolation Pond tavern is listed on the 1872 Beers map as property owned by the Shoemakers estate.

Other similarities exist: 1) both parcels are square; 2) Sailor Boy on “New” and “Old” Old Egg Harbor Road and the Desolation Pond Tavern on “Old, Old” Egg Harbor Road; 3) both may be connected by a very old Gloucester Road; and 4) both are equidistant from the Coumbia Tavern.

In review of the pamphlet:

Trustees of the Weymouth Farm and Agricultural Company. 1856. Brief of Title of Lands Belonging to the Weymouth Farm and Agricultural Company. Philadelphia. 16 pp.​

The Sailor Boy Tavern parcel is listed as Exception A to the Weymouth tract. The title chain is: Elijah Clark and Richard Westcott 1768 – John Crammer 1776 – Recompence, David and Daniel Scull 1784 – Clayton Earl 1802 – Charles Shoemaker 1802. Like Doughty, I suspect that Shoemaker may be involved with tavern enterprises in support of coaling. Does anyone have information on Charles Shoemaker?

Old Forks Road has the right stuff to be ancient. For example, on the 1848 survey its depiction is squiggly (unimproved). Furthermore the road is called "Old" in 1848. Unlike later straight roads, properties are not aligned to Old Forks Road, but Old Forks adjusts to landscape features.

Go back to the Sailor Boy thread (see https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tavern-in-pleasant-mills-nj.9582/page-4#post-117180) and the squiggly "Forks Road" at Green Tree Tavern is related to the 1737 Beaver Dam Road survey (as is Sailor Boys' Gloucester Road).

As I understand the Forks community is pretty much an eighteenth century phenomenon. By 1850, is there much going on there anyway?

S-M
Spungman,
Charles Shoemaker may be of Weymouth Furance and Martha furance fame. 1801, a Charles Shoemaker and several others from Philadelphia started Weymouth Furance from the 1800 purchase of the West Jersey Society tract.
Willy

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
S-M,
Don't know if this is the Cline's Tavern you are interested in, but this is from the Burlington County Divisions book B . If not here is some info on Cline's Tavern on Atsion Road.The last time I was in the Clerk's office in Mt Holly a lot of the old books were missing. There location in the racks were empty. However, I do remember seeing some division books.

Henry Drinker, of Philadelphia, Penna., merchant , and his wife Elizabeth, and Rachel Drinker, Henry Drinker, Jr., & Joseph D. Drinker, executors of the will of John Drinker, dec'd. & Wm. Hartshorn, & Wm. Salter, trustees for the heirs of Lawrence Salter, dec'd, sell2 lots in Goshen Neck, Evesham Tp., to Ephraim Cline on 13th Feb 1802. Petition for correction in boundaries . Samuel Richardson , of Phila., owner of adjacent land being willing that the boundaries should be justly and fairly established. Land lay along the road from Medford to Atsion. Recorded 1st. Sept. 1837.

This looks like the Cline's Tavern property on Atsion Rd. I have seen Ephraim's named spelled Cline, Kline, Klein. The 1802 date would be about the time Cline's tavern opened, shortly after Atsion Rd became a mail route in 1797. Ephraim Cline was married to Rachel Salter, daughter of Joseph Salter of "Salter's Ditch" fame.

I think Samuel Richardson should be Samuel Richards the owner of the Atsion property at the time.

FWIW - From Reesman genealogy, Charles K. Landis' grandmother's name was Mary Klein. Again the spelling?

Don

P.S. You know you are getting old when you bring out your notes and the edges are brown.
Nice research Don. This is the tavern I was referring to several posts ago.

It's funny, my research partner Willy and I were discussing the possibility of variations in the spelling of Kline as your post came through.

I don't know if there is any relation, but a Edward Cline applied for tavern licenses at Indian Cabin Tavern for the years 1832 - 1833 & 1834.

Last edited:

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I'm meeting tomorrow with an author who is writing a manuscript on Landis, and will query him on the vexing potential of a Klein–Kline–Kline–Cline connection. Even Landis had a different name, Landi, six generations prior when the family was in northern Italy en route to Geneva, before they hooked up with Billy Penn. I don't want to spoil the story, so you are going to have to wait! Come on out to Stockton's Kramer Hall in Hammonton on Thursday, September 17 to learn about Marsian (Landis' spelling) and Earthling lifestyles. I want to know why the founder of Elwood, Hammonton, Vineland, Landisville, and Sea Isle City cared so much about Blacks, Jews, Italians, Germans and others when it wasn't so cool to do so. A Trip to Mars provides a provocative window into the progressive world of a mad South Jersey visionary.

triptomarsS.jpg
Hell, Jules Verne only made it to the moon. Mars at the time was a popular Russian science fiction variant!

Cheers comrades,
S-M

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Nice research Don. This is the tavern I was referring to several posts ago.

It's funny, my research partner Willy and I were discussing the possibility of variations in the spelling of Kline as your post came through.

I don't know if there is any relation, but a Edward Cline applied for tavern licenses at Indian Cabin Tavern for the years 1832 - 1833 & 1834.

It's possible but I don't think Edward Cline is related to the Cline's of Atsion. Not closely anyway.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
It is stated in Landis(?) (1855: 14–15, Practical Hints at a Glance Upon Farming: Written for the Weymouth Stockholders) that:

“The Cranberry is an article which is now beginning to receive the attention it deserves; it has long been of the opinion that they flourish better in low marshy land than upland. This is proven to be a mistake; those raised upon the high and sandy soils are much larger and sweeter than the other; the sandier the soil the better; it cannot be too much so, and as this land generally sells cheap, whilst if the cranberry is properly cultivated, it is raised easily and profitably, there is nothing which will pay better.”

I’ve been told that the Vineland cranberry lands are on higher ground than other cranberry operations. Can anyone corroborate this observation?

Screen shot 2015-09-15 at 8.34.46 PM.png
Beers 1872​
S-M

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
It is stated in Landis(?) (1855: 14–15, Practical Hints at a Glance Upon Farming: Written for the Weymouth Stockholders) that:

“The Cranberry is an article which is now beginning to receive the attention it deserves; it has long been of the opinion that they flourish better in low marshy land than upland. This is proven to be a mistake; those raised upon the high and sandy soils are much larger and sweeter than the other; the sandier the soil the better; it cannot be too much so, and as this land generally sells cheap, whilst if the cranberry is properly cultivated, it is raised easily and profitably, there is nothing which will pay better.”

I’ve been told that the Vineland cranberry lands are on higher ground than other cranberry operations. Can anyone corroborate this observation?

View attachment 6228
Beers 1872​
S-M

S-M,
If I went into the coffee shop tomorrow morning and told those cranberry farms they should be on higher ground, they would throw me out of the place. But I will ask them what they think of the idea. I know they sand the bogs maybe every three or four year, so I guess the cranberry vines do like sandy soil.
Is that Atsion Pike you have circled? Never heard it called that. It's Fleming Pike of course, sometimes in later years called Parkdale Road. See how it turns left to go across the Atsion Dam, before Raleigh build those houses (about 1871/2) it use to go straight across into Fleming's Paper Mill.
Don

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
No, I'm circling the Vineland Railroad and the Vineland cranberry lands for emphasis. I had heard that the area marked Vineland Cranberry Company had planted high. I'll query my source again. Landis was wildly successful with Vineland, and everybody copied him. I'm wondering how much of a role that Vineland's founder might have had in Fruitland and Wheatland affairs. I have an 1867 survey that shows the Vineland Railway going east along Landis Avenue then make bee-lines for Hammonton, Egg Harbor City, and Mays Landing. Soon afterward Landis reroutes the railway to go through Landisville, then to Fruitland and Wheatland totally missing Hammonton. Is Landis dissing Richard Byrnes or outsmarting him. In 1857 the firm Landis & Byrnes founded new Hammonton. Just testing the waters for connections.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
If anyone would like to go along on a trip up the newly constructed road from Middle Road in Hammonton to the Atsion Cotton Mill, keep reading: - the year is 1872

Atsion and Cranberry Bogs

On Saturday morn. Oct. 12, by invitation I accompanied the members of the Town Council of Atsion who rode out to survey the work just completed by the Highway Commissioner on the new road opened from Middle Road [Hammonton] to the latter place [Atsion] some five miles passing through the Hammonton Cranberry Co.'s meadow. It's almost an air line road and should have been quite so. The divergence made for the purpose of finding a position to save expense in bridging seems inexcusable, if as we were informed, the small sum saved was the only object. It was done, however, by private enterprise, and the fathers of the town are not responsible. There are a number of bridges on the road substantially built with abutments of bog stone of an endurable nature. These stones contain a large quantity of iron concreted with sand and gravel and we were informed that at one time it supplied the furnace at Atsion for smelting. It seems to be excellent material for building.
One feature of the bridging is objectionable, using soft wood planks for flooring instead of oak; it rot's rapidly and the expense is greater in the end. The road is laid through a tract of land as flat as a smoothing iron, a wilderness of scrub oaks and pines, whortleberry bushes, soft maples, some cedars and wildflowers. Many of the autumn wild flowers are of rare beauty.
Except at the Cranberry bogs not a house is seen, nothing but a vast plain covered with a stinted growth of vegetation, except in spots where is rich deposits of decayed and decaying vegetation matter. Good material for road making is scarce, though there are spots where is found deposits of a yellow subsoil of clay and gravel admirably adapted to turnpiking. With the exception of about a mile, the road is good considering the expense put on it and the material the Commissioner was obliged to use. In several places it is not raised sutfiently, for when the streams are swollen these places will be overflowed. About $2000 will make it a road the town might be proud of; and in most parts of the year a pleasant drive and is the direct route to Atsion which should be connected with Hammonton station by a good road.
At the Hammonton Co.'s Cranberry meadow the road is laid on the dam of the company and gives the traveler an excellent opportunity to see the meadows on both sides of the road. This dam is built for the purpose of flooding the cranberry vines. The company have some 140 acres here, 40 of which are already in vines, most of which are in bearing and are looking hugely; but unfortunately a greater portion of the crop was lost by scald this season - 2000 bushels or more. Above the meadow is that of the Trenton Co., and below that of the Vineland Co. The few houses [Dutchtown] of his Co. on the north of their meadow is a decided relief to the vision after the long ride in the bush. A mile and a half further on in direct line is the Atsion R.R. Station and Cotton Mill, where we proceeded. Here our horse were fed and we partook of an excellent lunch provided by the clerk of the council, who was unable on account of other business to accompany us.

Mirth and jollity prevailed, toasts and witticisms seemed to flow freely from the town fathers as if no weighty cares were resting on their thoughtful brows.
On being called from refreshments we visited the cotton mill, of which Mr. Rolla [Maurice Raleigh] of Philadelphia is proprietor and were shown around by a gentleman overseer, Mr. Neason, who took the time to explain the method of work on the cotton as taken from the _____? It is bought out in beautiful thread for the loom. The weaving is not done here.

The mill has a capacity for 10,000 spindles. At present they have only 1,000. The balance to be gotten real soon. The structure is a fine, composed mostly of bog stone obtained in the vicinity, three stories, one hundred and fifty feet long, fifty feet wide with an L 80 feet long and other conveniences. It is arranged for gas and is provided with needed modern improvements such as water tanks on the upper floor which supplies the building in case of fire. The machinery is run by water power furnished by a canal which brings the water some 50 or 60 rods from a pond [Atsion Lake] The lake, taken with the surroundings, the old family mansion and surrounding buildings, weeping willows, button ball, mulberry, and other trees give the place a stately air likened to a Southern plantation.
Several fine wooden houses have been erected for boarding houses. The soil on the north side of the stream is said to be excellent. The stream [Atsion River] is the boundary line between our town and the mill, with the boarding houses on the mill side of the river. Here is the junction of Jackson or Atco branch road [railroad], with the N.J. Southern, the latter being run three miles out of a direct line to avoid Hammonton.

After seeing all the objects of interest we returned. The only thing of interest on our return was the narrow escape from serious injury of one of our party, by being thrown from his vehicle, by the wheel going into a little rut with such violence as to throw him against the rave of the seat, which breaking let him out forward of the wheel, which passed over both legs. He got up without assistance and taking his seat said "I am good for a vote for G____ yet." He sprained his right wrist badly and suffered for several days exceedingly.
We thanked the town fathers for our very pleasant day with them, and when they make another tour of observation may we be there. B. Oct. 16, 1872

I hope you enjoyed the trip.
This was an article in the Hammonton Item Oct 19, 1872
I was wondering if those rare beauty autumn wild flowers are still growing there and if any of the wild flower photos on this forum are them.
Also, all the cranberry bogs he mentions can still be seen on the google map, even the abandoned.
And the best one for last. How in the world do you hit a rut on a brand new road that is so bad it throws you out and under the wheels of your car? Maybe that cotton mill had some cotton GIN in it.

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Yes Guy, actually it's the road in the center of the map on spung-man's post #186 (beer 1872). As you can see it goes straight to the cotton mill. Today route 206 turns left about 1/3 of a mile out of Atsion and goes over the Atsion Lake Dam. I was wondering if there is any remnants left of the old road. I think a part of it is on my map of Atsion between the Gardner property and the Atsion Hotel. This Hammonton Road is on both deeds.

IMG_7900.JPG

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Yes Guy, actually it's the road in the center of the map on spung-man's post #186 (beer 1872). As you can see it goes straight to the cotton mill. Today route 206 turns left about 1/3 of a mile out of Atsion and goes over the Atsion Lake Dam. I was wondering if there is any remnants left of the old road. I think a part of it is on my map of Atsion between the Gardner property and the Atsion Hotel. This Hammonton Road is on both deeds.

View attachment 6241

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Without giving too definite locations, there are usually a number of Spiranthes, Gentian, and a uncommon Solidago (Goldenrod) species along the 206 shoulder ... when they're not mowed down. There're Spiranthes near the operating bogs on Park Road. But these may not be the flowers they saw back in 1872,

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Without giving too definite locations, there are usually a number of Spiranthes, Gentian, and a uncommon Solidago (Goldenrod) species along the 206 shoulder ... when they're not mowed down. There're Spiranthes near the operating bogs on Park Road. But these may not be the flowers they saw back in 1872,

I guess it would be hard to know what flowers they were talking about. It's good to know there are still some wild flowers in the area.
I was wondering how many of these were covered when they built and widened Route 206.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
If anyone would like to go along on a trip up the newly constructed road from Middle Road in Hammonton to the Atsion Cotton Mill, keep reading: - the year is 1872

Atsion and Cranberry Bogs

On Saturday morn. Oct. 12, by invitation I accompanied the members of the Town Council of Atsion who rode out to survey the work just completed by the Highway Commissioner on the new road opened from Middle Road [Hammonton] to the latter place [Atsion] some five miles passing through the Hammonton Cranberry Co.'s meadow. It's almost an air line road and should have been quite so. The divergence made for the purpose of finding a position to save expense in bridging seems inexcusable, if as we were informed, the small sum saved was the only object. It was done, however, by private enterprise, and the fathers of the town are not responsible. There are a number of bridges on the road substantially built with abutments of bog stone of an endurable nature. These stones contain a large quantity of iron concreted with sand and gravel and we were informed that at one time it supplied the furnace at Atsion for smelting. It seems to be excellent material for building.
One feature of the bridging is objectionable, using soft wood planks for flooring instead of oak; it rot's rapidly and the expense is greater in the end. The road is laid through a tract of land as flat as a smoothing iron, a wilderness of scrub oaks and pines, whortleberry bushes, soft maples, some cedars and wildflowers. Many of the autumn wild flowers are of rare beauty.
Except at the Cranberry bogs not a house is seen, nothing but a vast plain covered with a stinted growth of vegetation, except in spots where is rich deposits of decayed and decaying vegetation matter. Good material for road making is scarce, though there are spots where is found deposits of a yellow subsoil of clay and gravel admirably adapted to turnpiking. With the exception of about a mile, the road is good considering the expense put on it and the material the Commissioner was obliged to use. In several places it is not raised sutfiently, for when the streams are swollen these places will be overflowed. About $2000 will make it a road the town might be proud of; and in most parts of the year a pleasant drive and is the direct route to Atsion which should be connected with Hammonton station by a good road.
At the Hammonton Co.'s Cranberry meadow the road is laid on the dam of the company and gives the traveler an excellent opportunity to see the meadows on both sides of the road. This dam is built for the purpose of flooding the cranberry vines. The company have some 140 acres here, 40 of which are already in vines, most of which are in bearing and are looking hugely; but unfortunately a greater portion of the crop was lost by scald this season - 2000 bushels or more. Above the meadow is that of the Trenton Co., and below that of the Vineland Co. The few houses [Dutchtown] of his Co. on the north of their meadow is a decided relief to the vision after the long ride in the bush. A mile and a half further on in direct line is the Atsion R.R. Station and Cotton Mill, where we proceeded. Here our horse were fed and we partook of an excellent lunch provided by the clerk of the council, who was unable on account of other business to accompany us.

Mirth and jollity prevailed, toasts and witticisms seemed to flow freely from the town fathers as if no weighty cares were resting on their thoughtful brows.
On being called from refreshments we visited the cotton mill, of which Mr. Rolla [Maurice Raleigh] of Philadelphia is proprietor and were shown around by a gentleman overseer, Mr. Neason, who took the time to explain the method of work on the cotton as taken from the _____? It is bought out in beautiful thread for the loom. The weaving is not done here.

The mill has a capacity for 10,000 spindles. At present they have only 1,000. The balance to be gotten real soon. The structure is a fine, composed mostly of bog stone obtained in the vicinity, three stories, one hundred and fifty feet long, fifty feet wide with an L 80 feet long and other conveniences. It is arranged for gas and is provided with needed modern improvements such as water tanks on the upper floor which supplies the building in case of fire. The machinery is run by water power furnished by a canal which brings the water some 50 or 60 rods from a pond [Atsion Lake] The lake, taken with the surroundings, the old family mansion and surrounding buildings, weeping willows, button ball, mulberry, and other trees give the place a stately air likened to a Southern plantation.
Several fine wooden houses have been erected for boarding houses. The soil on the north side of the stream is said to be excellent. The stream [Atsion River] is the boundary line between our town and the mill, with the boarding houses on the mill side of the river. Here is the junction of Jackson or Atco branch road [railroad], with the N.J. Southern, the latter being run three miles out of a direct line to avoid Hammonton.

After seeing all the objects of interest we returned. The only thing of interest on our return was the narrow escape from serious injury of one of our party, by being thrown from his vehicle, by the wheel going into a little rut with such violence as to throw him against the rave of the seat, which breaking let him out forward of the wheel, which passed over both legs. He got up without assistance and taking his seat said "I am good for a vote for G____ yet." He sprained his right wrist badly and suffered for several days exceedingly.
We thanked the town fathers for our very pleasant day with them, and when they make another tour of observation may we be there. B. Oct. 16, 1872

I hope you enjoyed the trip.
This was an article in the Hammonton Item Oct 19, 1872
I was wondering if those rare beauty autumn wild flowers are still growing there and if any of the wild flower photos on this forum are them.
Also, all the cranberry bogs he mentions can still be seen on the google map, even the abandoned.
And the best one for last. How in the world do you hit a rut on a brand new road that is so bad it throws you out and under the wheels of your car? Maybe that cotton mill had some cotton GIN in it.
Most Excellent! I did indeed enjoy the ride! Funny how parts of that still have that feel today.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
We know western Atlantic County has a fascinating iron industry legacy, but what predated the furnace land-use?

Here’s Clement’s (Volume 3, page 83, Historical Society of Pennsylvania) “Map of Cedar Swamp in the Great Swamp near the “Jorden Place” owned? by Coopers–Evans–?–Shin etc. on maps in file of the exceptions in Atsion Lands om page 81? (copied from Coopers ? maps called Cooper & Newbold’s Maps)".

Screen shot 2015-09-19 at 7.15.37 PM.png

The writing is too poor for a definitive interpretation, but I’ve tried to guess names as best as possible with the resource at hand. It appears that the neck of land southwest of West Mill was a busy place. The 13-acre mystery tavern(?) tract by Desolation Pond is shown at survey’s bottom on Old Forks Road. Middle Road would be likely be ?’s Crossway. The creek above Evans Swamp appears to be today's Great Swamp Branch. John Jorden’s house was located in a cluster of duck-pond sized spungs. The Jordens are also living at the Steelman Plantation on the Lochs-of-the-Swamp on the King’s Road to Nesco at the intersection of the Cohansey and Long-A-Coming trails by mile-long Lookout (Loch-Out?) Pond. I've colorized a copy of the c.1867 Wright map (Davis Collection at the Township of Hamilton Historical Society) for convenience.

Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 12.49.07 PM.png

The Steelman Plantation King’s Road (Wright 1867, Weymouth exceptions map in the Davis Collection at the Township of Hamilton Historical Society) made a bee line for Nesco, and continued north to West Mill. Whether the West Mill segment was still a King's Road or not is not known.

I’ve excerpted the Shin parcel. Does the map say “now CH Shin” or "now to H. Shin”?

Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 12.47.39 PM.png

S-M

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Catts

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Don. But for the record, although I think the first two advertisements (February and July of 1777) belong to the mill located at the locks, I cannot be sure that the third advertisement (March of 1782) is not offering for sale Estell's and Foster's other sawmill and property located on the Sleepy Creek, a tributary to the Atsion River which is about 2.5 miles further downstream.

This photograph shows some of what is left of the Sleepy Creek mill...
View attachment 5872

Ponder this one for a while. We have a sale date on the Sleepy Creek property by Wescoat Bog.

sleepy.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
William Salter was part owner of Atsion at the time, but as far as I know John Hartshorn was not involved in Atsion at all, he was husband of Lucy Salter, William's Aunt and Lawrence's sister.