Tavern in Pleasant Mills, NJ

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Further to my earlier posting:
The Burlington County Clerk’s office said that Burlington County tax records are not kept in their files, that the County Board of Taxation might have such records.
The Burlington County Tax Board has county tax records from 2011 to the present on computer file, and from the 1920’s on microfilm. They suggested that the Burlington County Library might have earlier records.
The Burlington County Library genealogy section has tax records only for Willingboro and one other township in 1862.
The on-line NJ State Archive’s holdings for Burlington County Tax Records is: NJDARM: Collection Guide - Burlington County, Tax Collector, Cash and Reciept Books, 1781-1813
Very skimpy sources but maybe helpful to someone.....

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
My hunch that "Pettit's Old Road" was an older name for Sailor Boy Road doesn't quite make sense to me anymore, unless Newtown was nowhere near Newton Creek. Hmm....

Gabe:

In further consideration of your musings, I agree with you and I think you will find that Indian Cabin Road is a newer moniker for “Pettit’s Old Road.”

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Comment: in these posts of historical places, people have done a huge amount of research into original documents as well as written histories. But. In the documentation examined I see deeds, newspaper items, diaries, maps, regulations and ordinances, etc. But never a reference to County tax lists.
In Pennsylvania genealogical research in the early 1800's those lists can be the only data source available. Do they not exist here in Jersey? I'm gonna contact a friend who's Burlington County Ass't Clerk to see if we have those documents archived from the time of the Revolution..... If extant, they should be very useful in determining who owned what and when and how much ......

johnnyb:

New Jersey Tax Ratables lists can be helpful in determining what property a particular individual owned, including the “certainties” like mills, chaises, taverns, etc., depending on what the colonial or state legislature deemed taxable for the year. The New Jersey State Archives holds original and microform copies of tax duplicates from c.1760 to c.1820, found many years ago in the attic of the statehouse. Their suitability for researching who owned what where is limited by the fact that the tax assessor who compiled the lists usually prepared them in alphabetical order, rather than any form of geographical order.

Later tax rolls can be helpful, if the county has retained them. Despite the state requiring permanent retention of these records, some counties have found ways to destroy them or otherwise dispose them.

You mention Burlington County above, which holds tax records in microform version from c.1877 forward. I have used them many times. These can be more helpful than the earlier tax ratables lists I mentioned above at the State Archives, although the parcel mapping for the older records are usually not extant. The property under discussion is actually located in Mullica Township, Atlantic County, and I am not certain of what tax rolls they retain in their archives facility.

Deeds containing metes and bounds are the surest way to determine who owned what where, although a deed mapping program is usually helpful in laying out the bounds of the land.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Gabe:

In further consideration of your musings, I agree with you and I think you will find that Indian Cabin Road is a newer moniker for “Pettit’s Old Road.”

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Interesting. I had not considered that. No doubt there could have been more than one road to Newtown, technically speaking. I was assuming that the "road to Newtown" was the same as "Newtown Road". I need to look at the Wharton Ledgers directly. It's my New Year's resolution.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I invited Pinelands Paddler to meet with some old friends from Hamilton Township Historical Society (Carl Farrell, Elmer Ripley). We made a photocopy from an 1891 redrawing of the 1867 Wright survey in an effort to track down possible locations of Green Tree and Sailor Boy Taverns.

Below are different views of two exceptions to the Weymouth Tract, which I believe might be the two tavern metes and bounds. The one on the left, “Charles Shoemaker and others to Joel Bodine,” is solidly located where the Sailor Boy, A.K.A. Bolton's is supposed to be. The one on the right, "West N.J. Society to Wm. McCarrell,” is believed to be the Green Tree although I have not found that name in association with tavern ownership. It seems to be east of the Gordon's map location, perhaps at the intersection of the (Old) Old Egg Harbor and The Forks Roads. Can anyone tie William McCarrell to the Green Tree, A.K.A. Higbees? Is Charles Shoemaker or Joel Bodine associated with the Sailor Boy?

Screen shot 2014-01-21 at 10.45.39 PM.png
(above) Annotated excerpt of two Weymouth exceptions from the 1891 redrawing​
of the 1867 Wright survey of Weymouth Tract exceptions.​

Screen shot 2014-01-21 at 10.56.26 PM.png
(above) Rough overlay of above 1891 excerpt on the 1889 USGS historic map​
Screen shot 2014-01-21 at 10.57.07 PM.png
(above) Rough overlay of above 1891 excerpt on the c.1931 aerial photomosaics.​
Spung-Man​

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
So I'm thinking that perhaps "Indian Cabin Mill" was at the foot of Egg Harbor City Lake. Could there have been a tavern there as well?

Doh! The answer has been right there in front of me the whole time! My buddy pointed out to me today that Gordon's 1833 map depicts a tavern there by the foot of Egg Harbor City Lake. This must have been the Indian Cabin Mill Inn!

Michael Lee Stills

Apr 19, 2014
Just chiming in. This has been a very interesting discussion. I too am a descendent of Michael Antoine Garoutte and have an interest in joining the Flagon and Trencher as well as Pirates and Privateers. Your research is the first new info I have encountered in a couple of years. Thank you very much. Joining P&P will be easier but his pension records were destroyed. The stories of James Smith and children, Sophia in particular, all seem to come from the same source: The French and American History of Michael Garoutte. You work opened a few new lines to research for me, thank you again. I hope you can crack this case, it would be big news to a lot of Garoutte descendents. Many can be found on the Garoutte Meeting Place on Facebook. Thank you again!! (I just discovered I can not yet post links, being new, google the bold listings to learn more.)

Michael Lee Stills

Apr 19, 2014
Just another note of interest for Michael Garoutte in New Jersey. Apparently one of the ships he brought to the USA was sunk in the Mullica River, at or near Sandy Point. Any ideas on learning more about that? Thank you all.

Michael Lee Stills

Apr 19, 2014
OK... I have a question and an observation...

1. Newton or Newtown, and how does this name come into play? On the 1812 map, Pine Creek is Pine Creek. In 1828 and 1872 the maps now read Newton or Pine Creek. Who was Newton? Did he come to the area after 1812, and if so, what part did he play in the area history? I don't recognize the name.... should I?

2. In the copy of Beck's article regarding the Tavern search for Garoutte's establishment, it states that he married Sophia Smith and they had 13 children. Michael and Sophia die =/- 1829. Of their 13 children, one marries an Asher Dayton who was supposed to have settled the village of Asterdaten (sp?)..... BUT, on the 1872 F.W. Beers map that Jerseyman provides, there is a A. Dayton indicated as residing just above Beck and Vanmeter's place. Same person?

Like Gabe says.... just thinking. Now going for a walk.

Terry

Sophia apparently died 26 Dec 1817 in Pleasant Mills according to a Sons of the American Revolution application. Her daughter Martha b. 1779 married William Dayton, also born 1779 in Monmouth. His father was apparently named Uriah. Martha and William married in Burlington and William died in Atlantic City. For what its worth, this is not well sourced but looks good.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Back to the Sailor Boy Tavern, its survey can be found in Clement (Volume 3, page 14, Historical Society of Pennsylvania). The Road to Weymouth is called the Gloucester Road (above). I suspect New Old Egg Harbor and Old Old Egg Harbor Roads are later straightened iterations of the original Old, Old, Old Egg Harbor Road that we know today as Old Forks Road. Once again, Columbia (Nesco) and the Forks (Pleasant Mills) are important destinations.

Screen shot 2015-09-19 at 6.49.40 PM.png
S-M

Tom Rizzo

Oct 7, 2015
Camden, N.J.
As I continue (or get back into) my study of the Village of Nesco, came across an intriguing piece of writing from the book: EARLY FORGES & FURNACES IN NEW JERSEY, by Charles S. Boyer. On page 188, there is a paragraph about the selling of the Batsto Iron Works and about 50,000 acres of land. Various tracts of land are named, one of the being the "Indian Cabin Mill Tract". The properties were purchased by members of the Richards family, thus keeping the lands in the family. Perhaps by keeping the lands within the family, this enabled Jesse Richards to use a piece of their holdings, specifically the "Indian Cabin Mill Tract," for the "New Columbia Glass Works"?
The name "Indian Cabin Mill," continues to crop up here in present day, "Nesco Village"; and it makes sense to me that the "Indian Cabin Mill Tract," is present day Nesco Village or the Village of Nesco. Until "New Columbia," was finally shown on a map, most likely named for the short lived glass works of that name, I have been unable to find the area of Nesco named on earlier maps, and am endeavoring to learn just what the connection between Batsto and Nesco was? I'm under the impression that Nesco may have supplied produce to the Batsto store, but so far, have not come across proof of that. I wonder if somewhere in the Batsto Store ledgers, that there may be mention of purchases from here?
The fact that a mill is part of the name is a bit confusing, unless there might have been a mill located on the stream that flows from Hammonton into present day Nescochague Lake? The old Pleasant Mills Rd. comes very close to a bend in the creek, at the edge of the old Black's Farm, and close to Jackson Rd. which leads directly into Pleasant Mills, and the Forks. There are also extensive cedar groves, as well as pine, maple, oak, walnut and other types of trees in the forests along the creek.
Further study, and hopefully input from those more knowledgeable, is definitely waiting for me.

Last edited:

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
As I continue (or get back into) my study of the Village of Nesco, came across an intriguing piece of writing from the book: EARLY FORGES & FURNACES IN NEW JERSEY, by Charles S. Boyer. On page 188, there is a paragraph about the selling of the Batsto Iron Works and about 50,000 acres of land. Various tracts of land are named, one of the being the "Indian Cabin Mill Tract". The properties were purchased by members of the Richards family, thus keeping the lands in the family. Perhaps by keeping the lands within the family, this enabled Jesse Richards to use a piece of their holdings, specifically the "Indian Cabin Mill Tract," for the "New Columbia Glass Works"?
The name "Indian Cabin Mill," continues to crop up here in present day, "Nesco Village"; and it makes sense to me that the "Indian Cabin Mill Tract," is present day Nesco Village or the Village of Nesco. Until "New Columbia," was finally shown on a map, most likely named for the short lived glass works of that name, I have been unable to find the area of Nesco named on earlier maps, and am endeavoring to learn just what the connection between Batsto and Nesco was? I'm under the impression that Nesco may have supplied produce to the Batsto store, but so far, have not come across proof of that. I wonder if somewhere in the Batsto Store ledgers, that there may be mention of purchases from here?
The fact that a mill is part of the name is a bit confusing, unless there might have been a mill located on the stream that flows from Hammonton into present day Nescochague Lake? The old Pleasant Mills Rd. comes very close to a bend in the creek, at the edge of the old Black's Farm, and close to Jackson Rd. which leads directly into Pleasant Mills, and the Forks. There are also extensive cedar groves, as well as pine, maple, oak, walnut and other types of trees in the forests along the creek.
Further study, and hopefully input from those more knowledgeable, is definitely waiting for me.
Indian cabin mill was located at or near present day Egg Harbor City lake. It is actually the name of the stream that feeds the lake. I don't know how extensive the whole tract purchased by the Richards/Batsto actually was. One of the original GFTA purchases of land was 5,000 acres of Batsto land.
When I have access to a computer I will post a map of the planned EHC showing Batsto estate land between EHC and Elwood.

Reactions: Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
TR,

No need to complicate things. I think Wescotts lived in Wescotville, where there was an early millpond on the Old Forks Road. On Clements (Volume 3, page 4) there appears to be a mill and millpond on Long Meadow Branch (Hammonton Creek). Sorry I don’t have a lot of time to double check for accuracy, but put this out anyway for discussion.

Screen shot 2015-12-05 at 9.37.39 PM.png

On Clements (Volume 6, page 66) is a house that appears to be a D. Westcott, which on first glance seems to be located near Wescotville.

Screen shot 2015-12-05 at 9.43.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-12-05 at 9.58.17 PM.png

The road from Great Swamp to Pleasant Mills Landing might be this one,

which bypasses Wescotville and goes instead to Nesco. As stated before, I think that Nesco is the earlier settlement because it has more trails intersecting it. Also Nesco is closer to the Mulllica than Wescotville and intuitively predates the settlement upstream.

Willy, I agree with you and PinelandPaddler that the Indian Cabin Mill is closer to Egg Harbor City. The eighteenth century Pinelands settlements remain confounding and challenging.

S-M

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
From a deed dated Nov. 23rd, 1825
Samuel Ashcraft and wife to Samuel Goldsmith

Conveys a tract of pine land, situate in the Township of Galloway County of Gloucester, being a part of a tract of land which the said Samuel Ashcraft purchased of John Wiltsey by deed dated the 19th, May 1804. Beginning at a post one foot south of four small gums standing on the Southwesterly side of Tanvat Branch; thence S. 80°30W. 33. - chs. touching the lower corner of the said Samuel Goldsmith ten acres survey to a large pine standing in a fork of the road leading from Pleasant Mills to Indian Cabin, marked for a corner; thence (2) along the main road (1)N.32° E. 16 - chs. (2) N. 14° E. 7.50 chs. thence to a pine stump in the run on the west side of the road near the La Fayette Tavern; thence along the Forks road the general course being S. 60° E. 25 - chs. to the cold spring in the edge of Tanvat Branch; thence up the said branch the several courses there of to the beginning.