Lock's Bridge

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Gabe, you mentioned earlier in this thread that "the dam was rebuilt in 1792 by the Atsion Co. They also constructed a new lock".
In 1791 Josiah Foster sold several tracts of his land in Sheriff Sales. Of the three transactions one was to Thomas Hollinshead and Joseph Stokes in Evesham Burlington County, which at this time extended nearly to Fosters Mill. I wonder if this in any way correlates with the Atsion Company's acquisition of the dam

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
(4) Also very interesting is where it says nearby is an "intersection of roads leading from Philadelphia to Little Egg Harbour and from Burlington to Great Egg Harbor"... The first road I imagine is Quaker Bridge Road. The second road is not as clear to me. The road through Eagle comes to mind, but it says "Great Egg Harbour"?

This would be "Middle Road".

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
As far as Henry Shinn and a tavern is concerned, I would like to know more on that. I do know from research, reading here and talking with Guy that there was a Mary Shinn that owned Hampton at one point and sold it to Richard Stockton and Clayton Earle who built the furnace in 1795, possibly a connection between the two Shinns? There is also Shinn that held property in the Job's Swamp area and an actual Shinn's Road in Lebanon.

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
As far as Henry Shinn and a tavern is concerned, I would like to know more on that. I do know from research, reading here and talking with Guy that there was a Mary Shinn that owned Hampton at one point and sold it to Richard Stockton and Clayton Earle who built the furnace in 1795, possibly a connection between the two Shinns? There is also Shinn that held property in the Job's Swamp area and an actual Shinn's Road in Lebanon.

Broken Jeep Joe,
Restore and Mary Shinn sold Hampton as you said. The same Shinn family sold "The Gate Tavern" property at Hampton Gate. (See Brotherton by Geo Flemming page 181 & 214)

There was also a Henry Shinn living at Atsion in 1800 census. And one in Northampton in 1770, census. Northampton must have had tavern's but none located near Atsion at that time, I don't think.

1800 census
Name:
Henry Shinn
State:
New Jersey
County:
Burlington County
Town:
Evesham Township
Ward:
Atsion
Residence Year:
Household Remarks:
Improved acres 0; unimproved acres 0; houses and lots 0; covering horses 0; horses and mules 0; "Neat" cattle 0; householders 1; "Merchants &c" 0; saw mills 0; grist mills 0; tan yards 0; forges 0

1770 census
Name:
Henry Shinn
State:
New Jersey
County:
Burlington County
Town:
Northampton Township
Residence Year:
Household Remarks:
Acres 0; cattle/horses 0; servants/slaves 0; single men & horse 0; single men 0; vessels 0; merchants 0; "Griss" mill 0; saw mill 0; fulling mill 0; "Furneses" 0; forges 0; chairs/wagons 0; household

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Don & All,

Good info on the Shinn name and sales. So in the articles the Feb 5 one states the roads near are Philly to Little Egg Harbor, which is said to be Quaker Bridge and Burlington to Great Egg Harbor which is said to be Middle Road. I'm sure there is some way we can figure out if Quaker Bridge or Middle Road was actually the Egg Harbour Road mentioned in the article at the time of the sales? If so, would that mean the Henry Shinn tavern was somewhere along the way prior to the Quaker Bridge Tavern being built if it happened to be on that road, or possibly a location on what is now Middle Road?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Don & All,

Good info on the Shinn name and sales. So in the articles the Feb 5 one states the roads near are Philly to Little Egg Harbor, which is said to be Quaker Bridge and Burlington to Great Egg Harbor which is said to be Middle Road. I'm sure there is some way we can figure out if Quaker Bridge or Middle Road was actually the Egg Harbour Road mentioned in the article at the time of the sales? If so, would that mean the Henry Shinn tavern was somewhere along the way prior to the Quaker Bridge Tavern being built if it happened to be on that road, or possibly a location on what is now Middle Road?

The advertisement that mentioned the intersection of Quaker Bridge Rd. and Middle Rd. was for the sale of the tract that included the area we call "locks bridge". It was the Sleepy Mill tract advertisement that mentioned Shinn. My best guess is that this tavern on Egg Harbor Road was indeed the tavern at Hampton Gate. Let's dig a bit deeper. God info, BTW.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Broken Jeep Joe,
Restore and Mary Shinn sold Hampton as you said. The same Shinn family sold "The Gate Tavern" property at Hampton Gate. (See Brotherton by Geo Flemming page 181 & 214)

There was also a Henry Shinn living at Atsion in 1800 census. And one in Northampton in 1770, census. Northampton must have had tavern's but none located near Atsion at that time, I don't think.

1800 census
Name:
Henry Shinn
State:
New Jersey
County:
Burlington County
Town:
Evesham Township
Ward:
Atsion
Residence Year:
Household Remarks:
Improved acres 0; unimproved acres 0; houses and lots 0; covering horses 0; horses and mules 0; "Neat" cattle 0; householders 1; "Merchants &c" 0; saw mills 0; grist mills 0; tan yards 0; forges 0

1770 census
Name:
Henry Shinn
State:
New Jersey
County:
Burlington County
Town:
Northampton Township
Residence Year:
Household Remarks:
Acres 0; cattle/horses 0; servants/slaves 0; single men & horse 0; single men 0; vessels 0; merchants 0; "Griss" mill 0; saw mill 0; fulling mill 0; "Furneses" 0; forges 0; chairs/wagons 0; household
Don & All,

The Shins were a big family and there were many of them living in the New Hanover, North Hampton and Evesham townships. Restore and Mary Shinn did in fact sell to Clayton Earl and Richard Stockton, but according to the survey recorded in the Surveyor General's at Burlington, only 10 acres were ever surveyed to Restore Shinn. This may have also included a preexisting sawmill. According to the Wharton Ledgers, this 1795 transfer cost Stockton and Earl 1000 pounds. According to John E. Pearce, 1000 pounds is "an enormous sum for for ten acres" and possibly a saw mill... I dunno.
But there is a twist... The Restore Shinn property, as part of the Hampton furnace property is mentioned in a legal agreement between George and William Ashbridge (the succeeding owners of Hampton after Earl, Stockton, Lane, & godfrey) and Job Prickett dated Dec. 29, 1800 which states...
"Whereas disputes have sometimes past arisen, and are still subsisting between George G. Ashbridge and William Ashbridge of the one part to claim two surveys viz: - one survey of one hundred and ninety three acres surveyed to Philo Leeds recorded in the surveyor General's at Burlington in Lib. A. folio 331. - one survey of ten acres surveyed to Restore Shinn, recorded in the office aforesaid in Lib. - P. folio 34,..."

This gets me thinking - the high price paid by Stockton and Earl, coupled with this conflict over land five years later... did the Shinns sell Stockton and Earl land that wasn't theirs - land belonging to Job Prickett?

Regardless, the reason i'm going through all this is so I can pose a question to Don Catts.
Don mentioned... "The same Shinn family sold The Gate Tavern property at Hampton Gate" Although Hampton Furnace eventually may have acquired as much land as to encompass the "Gate", the 10 acres, or even the 190 acres couldn't extend North to there. In the book "Brotherton", did he mean this same Restore and Mary family, or some other member of the Shinn clan?

There is one other thing I'm seeking clarity on. I got the impression that pinelandpaddler and Broke Jeep Joe have gotten the idea that Henery shinn was the tavern keeper at the "Gate", but judging by the underlined "property" in your above statement #125 that you mean just that, and not suggesting that the Shinn family were proprietors of the tavern. The earliest tavern keeper at The Gate Tavern that I'm aware of is David Cavileer. After 1824, Cavileer was succeeded by his widow. Years later it was known as J. Smith's Hotel.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Jim.
Agreed, sort of. I am thinking Henry Shinn was a tavernkeeper somewhere other than the Gate. Unless you explained already which road is the Egg Harbor Road in this portion of the article I am thinking his tavern was on some Egg Harbor road somewhere!

Any person desirous of purchasing may be shewn the same, by applying to HENRY SHINN, tavernkeeper, on the Egg Harbour road.

By the way, excellent info from everyone on the Shinn family in this area, very appreciative.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Jim.
Agreed, sort of. I am thinking Henry Shinn was a tavernkeeper somewhere other than the Gate. Unless you explained already which road is the Egg Harbor Road in this portion of the article I am thinking his tavern was on some Egg Harbor road somewhere!

Any person desirous of purchasing may be shewn the same, by applying to HENRY SHINN, tavernkeeper, on the Egg Harbour road.

By the way, excellent info from everyone on the Shinn family in this area, very appreciative.
You are correct Broke Jeep. The tricky thing about Egg Harbor Road is the fact that there were several routs that identified by that name. The route best identified by by the name Egg Harbor Road is still referred to as Old Egg Harbor Road went from Long a Coming through Blue Anchor, Higbee's or Sailor Boy (Elwood), Indian Cabin, Clarks Mill, Wrangleboro (Port Republic) & Leeds Point. But again there are others by that name.

Quaker Bridge Road, the Middle Road (Old Tuckerton Rd.) and the more Northerly route that passes through Eagle all joined at Washington and went to Little Egg Harbor (Tuckerton) via Old Iron Pipe and Stage Road. These roads collectively and individually were referred to as the road(s) to Little Egg Harbor. I realize that this is not a definitive answer to your question about Egg Harbor Road but hope it helps.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
I made this map to show the three main stage routs to Little Egg Harbor. Granted, there are many branches that diverge from these routs - one if which could be the "Middle Road" that Gabe mentioned that goes to Egg Harbor. This would be the branch that ran South along the Batsto River that crossed the Mullica to the Egg Harbor side. I'll see about creating a map depicting the routs to Egg Harbor.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zP-NktxbKVSc.k6rhXVQUsXdY&usp=sharing

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Since Hampton is being discussed I figured you may want to see these. I don't think I have posted them before. The first one is the 1931 aerial and the second one explains it.

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

Notice is says 1932. I wonder if it 1931 or 1932? It also tells us who took the aerials that we all use.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Awesome map tracker Jim. I never knew there were that many taverns or where they all were. Learn something new everyday. Guy great aerials. Do you own them?

Reactions: Tracker Jim

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Gabe, you mentioned earlier in this thread that "the dam was rebuilt in 1792 by the Atsion Co. They also constructed a new lock".
In 1791 Josiah Foster sold several tracts of his land in Sheriff Sales. Of the three transactions one was to Thomas Hollinshead and Joseph Stokes in Evesham Burlington County, which at this time extended nearly to Fosters Mill. I wonder if this in any way correlates with the Atsion Company's acquisition of the dam
Pinelandspaddler and Tracker Jim,
Looking at the road return list on http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/docs/roads2/index.shtml
1792-1793 Atsion has some construction going on. Do you think those entries listed can provide possible clarification? Especially Atsion forge pond entries GC-A148, GC-A-151 "Gates: Waste, at Atsion Forge Pond" . Where and how do we obtain them?
willy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Pinelandspaddler and Tracker Jim,
Looking at the road return list on http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/docs/roads2/index.shtml
1792-1793 Atsion has some construction going on. Do you think those entries listed can provide possible clarification? Especially Atsion forge pond entries GC-A148, GC-A-151 "Gates: Waste, at Atsion Forge Pond" . Where and how do we obtain them?
willy

Looks like a trip to Woodbury is in order.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Awesome map tracker Jim. I never knew there were that many taverns or where they all were. Learn something new everyday. Guy great aerials. Do you own them?

I don't own the actual photo's. I just took a photo of them.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
The Shins were a big family and there were many of them living in the New Hanover, North Hampton and Evesham townships. Restore and Mary Shinn did in fact sell to Clayton Earl and Richard Stockton, but according to the survey recorded in the Surveyor General's at Burlington, only 10 acres were ever surveyed to Restore Shinn. This may have also included a preexisting sawmill. According to the Wharton Ledgers, this 1795 transfer cost Stockton and Earl 1000 pounds. According to John E. Pearce, 1000 pounds is "an enormous sum for for ten acres" and possibly a saw mill... I dunno.
But there is a twist... The Restore Shinn property, as part of the Hampton furnace property is mentioned in a legal agreement between George and William Ashbridge (the succeeding owners of Hampton after Earl, Stockton, Lane, & godfrey) and Job Prickett dated Dec. 29, 1800 which states...
"Whereas disputes have sometimes past arisen, and are still subsisting between George G. Ashbridge and William Ashbridge of the one part to claim two surveys viz: - one survey of one hundred and ninety three acres surveyed to Philo Leeds recorded in the surveyor General's at Burlington in Lib. A. folio 331. - one survey of ten acres surveyed to Restore Shinn, recorded in the office aforesaid in Lib. - P. folio 34,..."

This gets me thinking - the high price paid by Stockton and Earl, coupled with this conflict over land five years later... did the Shinns sell Stockton and Earl land that wasn't theirs - land belonging to Job Prickett?

Regardless, the reason i'm going through all this is so I can pose a question to Don Catts.
Don mentioned... "The same Shinn family sold The Gate Tavern property at Hampton Gate" Although Hampton Furnace eventually may have acquired as much land as to encompass the "Gate", the 10 acres, or even the 190 acres couldn't extend North to there. In the book "Brotherton", did he mean this same Restore and Mary family, or some other member of the Shinn clan?

There is one other thing I'm seeking clarity on. I got the impression that pinelandpaddler and Broke Jeep Joe have gotten the idea that Henery shinn was the tavern keeper at the "Gate", but judging by the underlined "property" in your above statement #125 that you mean just that, and not suggesting that the Shinn family were proprietors of the tavern. The earliest tavern keeper at The Gate Tavern that I'm aware of is David Cavileer. After 1824, Cavileer was succeeded by his widow. Years later it was known as J. Smith's Hotel.

Tracker Jim, the reason I say the same family is because in the complete history of the Shinn family in New Jersey there is only two Restore Shinn a father and son (wife Mary Biddle). I searched every record in Ancestry.com and came up with the same Restore Shinn and son (wife Mary Biddle). Therefore, if Restore Shinn's heirs sold the Gate Tavern property in 1802 the year following Restore's death ( he died in 1801) as Flemming says, and there is only one Restore Shinn, I said it was the same family, or am I sticking my shinn out.

History of the Shinn Family Author: Josiah H. Shinn
This book contains the history and genealogy of the Shinn family of New Jersey.
134. RESTORE SHINN (4).‑‑FRANCIS (3), JAMES (2), JOHN (1).
Restore, second child of Francis and Elizabeth (Atkinson) Shinn, was born 1/26/1733. He married regularly, Mary, daughter of Joseph Biddle1 of Springfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey, November, 1757. Restore Shinn was a thrifty man and acquired a large estate. He died 2/3/1801, and Mary, his wife, died 6/18/1804. (Mt. Holly Register of Births and Deaths.) Mary Shinn and Wm. Fox were appointed administrators of Restore, 3/23/1801.

Never the less, I think we should be looking for Henry Shinn the tavern keeper. I can't find anyone to fit that bill. Assuming we find the tavern, will that give us anything? Does the newspaper follow up with who bought it, if the property was even sold? I would like to know who bought it and see the deed. Sometimes these old deeds have a drawing with them.

Last edited:

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Tracker Jim, the reason I say the same family is because in the complete history of the Shinn family in New Jersey there is only two Restore Shinn a father and son (wife Mary Biddle). I searched every record in Ancestry.com and came up with the same Restore Shinn and son (wife Mary Biddle). Therefore, if Restore Shinn's heirs sold the Gate Tavern property in 1802 the year following Restore's death ( he died in 1801) as Flemming says, and there is only one Restore Shinn, I said it was the same family, or am I sticking my shinn out.

History of the Shinn Family Author: Josiah H. Shinn
This book contains the history and genealogy of the Shinn family of New Jersey.
134. RESTORE SHINN (4).‑‑FRANCIS (3), JAMES (2), JOHN (1).
Restore, second child of Francis and Elizabeth (Atkinson) Shinn, was born 1/26/1733. He married regularly, Mary, daughter of Joseph Biddle1 of Springfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey, November, 1757. Restore Shinn was a thrifty man and acquired a large estate. He died 2/3/1801, and Mary, his wife, died 6/18/1804. (Mt. Holly Register of Births and Deaths.) Mary Shinn and Wm. Fox were appointed administrators of Restore, 3/23/1801.

Never the less, I think we should be looking for Henry Shinn the tavern keeper. I can't find anyone to fit that bill. Assuming we find the tavern, will that give us anything? Does the newspaper follow up with who bought it, if the property was even sold? I would like to know who bought it and see the deed. Sometimes these old deeds have a drawing with them.

Don,
Thoughts;
"History of Shinn Family" Auther:Josiah Shinn p.79
Children of Caleb and Mehitable (Curtis) Shinn. (Caleb b.? married 1739 d.1752)
https://archive.org/stream/documentsrelatin32newj#page/290/mode/2up
Read his will! Thomas Atkinson innholder

76. (1) John Shinn, who married (1) Amy Griffith 1767; (2) Sarah Jones 1780.
77. (2) Henry Shinn, who married Anna Fort 1770.(http://www.geni.com/people/Mary-Ann-Anna-Fort/4768129757790080324)
78. (3) Caleb Shinn‑‑ob sine proli.
79. (4) Mehitable Shinn, who married Ebenezer Doty 1779.
80. (5) Mary Shinn, who married Jacob Lamb 1768.

Could this been the Henry (#77)we are looking for as a tavern keeper 1782? According to the book, his father is not a devout Quaker like many of the Shinn family?
Willy

Last edited: