Looking for PB Tree Frogs and other amphibians

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
Welcome to the forum Tgeorge! Looks like herps are one of your main interests.The PB treefrogs are about to make their appearance.Come Wonk! Come All!

Thank you. I love herps and flintlock rifles. Years ago I majored in zoology and worked as a Reptile Keeper in the Bronx Zoo.

Also love history and the Pine Barrens. I just wish they were their own state!!!

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Thank you. I love herps and flintlock rifles. Years ago I majored in zoology and worked as a Reptile Keeper in the Bronx Zoo.

Also love history and the Pine Barrens. I just wish they were their own state!!!

My primary bushytail rifle was a .32 cal fintlock. I had trouble keeping the front site on the little acorn chewers' heads with all that exploding going on in front of my face so I switched to a .36 cal caplock, but my heart keeps dragging me back in time and I plan on taking the flinter out again in the future.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

I have a Flintlock myself.Like the primitive stuff myself.Takes a steady hand to pull the trigger and then wait that split second for the powder to explode.Took me awhile to not look up before the discharge.:)
The Bronx zoo has the best reptile house of any zoo I've ever been to,did you handle hot herps there as well?
Yes I do not like living in NJ at all but I love the barrens.I hate the politics here as well as the laws and government in general.The most over regulated state in the country as far as I can tell but also one of the most beautiful in a natural sense if you can get out of the rat race that seems to pass for society around here.

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
I have a Flintlock myself.Like the primitive stuff myself.Takes a steady hand to pull the trigger and then wait that split second for the powder to explode.Took me awhile to not look up before the discharge.:)
Getting used to that is part of the fun. A threaded insert in the touchhole with a countersunk vent makes that hestitation beyond normal human notice.

The Bronx zoo has the best reptile house of any zoo I've ever been to,did you handle hot herps there as well?

Just the rattlers and vipers. Another guy did the elapids.
But we never physically handled any of the hots and kept physical contact with the non-hots to a minimum, Used shift cages and snake hooks exclusively.

While I was there a black-lipped cobra escaped into the keepers' quarters and it took 2 weeks before he showed up again. A Cuban Croc escaped from his quarters and tried to attack a Chinese alligator, and a cottonmouth "disappeared" from his exhibit. It was the best job of my life and I was sorry I had to leave but the pay was horrible.

Yes I do not like living in NJ at all but I love the barrens.I hate the politics here as well as the laws and government in general.The most over regulated state in the country as far as I can tell but also one of the most beautiful in a natural sense if you can get out of the rat race that seems to pass for society around here.

Very true. But I can't take those idiots in Trenton anymore.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
my wife wants to move to Alaska but she hates the cold.????

I think the changes in daylight would bother me the most. A friend from Yellowstone moved up there last year due to his wifes change of jobs and a friend of my wife moved a couple of years ago, changed from the Ocean County library to Anchorage. Drove up herself with 3 cats. My SIL's Uncle is minister of a church in Anchorage. There are 2 cable TV shows that are pretty good that originate from up there; West Coast Guns and AK Troopers, or something like that. WCG build some very nice lever action firearms. Too many skeeters for me though :eek:

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
The grass alwasy seems greener, but if you look hard enough you will undoubtedly find the same weeds.

Actually NY is, NJ comes in second :eek: The most 'personal freedom' state is AK. More at the linkamajiggy.

http://www.legalzoom.com/everyday-law/home-leisure/how-free-is-your-state

If I can't convince my wife to leave this state when we retire, I'll try to talk her into moving into the Pine Barrens.
I belong to two gun ranges in North Jersey. It took a LONG wait to get in. How hard is it do join a gun range down there? I LOVE target shooting, specially black powder muzzle-loaders.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It took a LONG wait to get in. How hard is it do join a gun range down there? I LOVE target shooting, specially black powder muzzle-loaders.

No problems, in fact a new one, Tips Hardware, will be opening in Egg Harbor Township soon. There are 2 others in Lakewood off of RT 70. The are indoor ranges and i doubt they allow blackpowder. The state has outdoor ranges at Stafford Forge and Colliers Mill WMA for blackpowder.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If I can't convince my wife to leave this state when we retire, I'll try to talk her into moving into the Pine Barrens.
I belong to two gun ranges in North Jersey. It took a LONG wait to get in. How hard is it do join a gun range down there? I LOVE target shooting, specially black powder muzzle-loaders.
Don't know how hard it is to get in but there are a lot of them down my way,I'm down near Delaware bay though.
My big problem is getting Momma to leave the grand kids.A couple daughters would move with us but one definitely will not so she couldn't have them all.I have explained to her that once they hit puberty we will be forgotten but then she will have a crop of great grand kids:-(

Tgeorge

Scout
Apr 12, 2013
Don't know how hard it is to get in but there are a lot of them down my way,I'm down near Delaware bay though.
My big problem is getting Momma to leave the grand kids.A couple daughters would move with us but one definitely will not so she couldn't have them all.I have explained to her that once they hit puberty we will be forgotten but then she will have a crop of great grand kids:-(

I called a gun club in Delaware and asked about waiting lists. He didn't know what I was talking about. He said you apply, if you have no problems you get in - simple. Same problem here with anchor kids. But now you have either Delaware, PA, W.VA, NC, TENN, Kentucky as close choices. MD, NY, New England are all bad. Delaware is just a matter of time and anti-gun people from NY are filling up eastern PA.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I called a gun club in Delaware and asked about waiting lists. He didn't know what I was talking about. He said you apply, if you have no problems you get in - simple. Same problem here with anchor kids. But now you have either Delaware, PA, W.VA, NC, TENN, Kentucky as close choices. MD, NY, New England are all bad. Delaware is just a matter of time and anti-gun people from NY are filling up eastern PA.

From my experience, gun ranges and gun clubs are two very different animals. Ranges are commercial endeavors for target only, you pay your money and have use of the range. Club's most likely have a range for members, but much more than that. Normally you have to go thru an approval process and be voted in, then pay an intiation fee and an annual membership fee.

Here are links for Tips and the new range.

http://www.shootersnj.com/

http://www.shootersnj.com/files/Shooters_TriFold_032913_Modified.pdf

If you want a club, take a look at the Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club in Jackson.

http://www.cjrpc.org/

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Wood frogs are often the first ones to make an appearance because they are actually able to survive in the winter by FREEZING. They're amazing creatures.

Here is a video I shot at the Great Swamp NWR 364 days ago in the evening after work. Of course, the air temp that day was in the 70s unlike the chilly weather forecast for the rest of this week.

Love those sounds! I'm glad they're still around. I was afraid that amphibians are going extinct. I remember camping out by Bamber Lake one summer night about 1970. The croaking of the frogs was very loud.

And I'm with the guys on this thread who love New Jersey, at least the nice parts, esp. the PB, but couldn't live there because of the stinking politicians. I live in Arizona now.