Looking for PB Tree Frogs and other amphibians

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
My son has been bugging me for the past 2 years to take him into the pines to listen to pine barrens tree frogs and other frogs and toads. We wandered all along the Wading River last April (late in the month), but last spring was extremely dry and hot and we came home only spotting a few Fowler's toads.

We'll be back in the pines on April 20 & 27. Can anyone recommend any good spots where we can listen to the tree frogs?

Spring peepers and wood frogs should be out calling in a few weeks.

Reactions: joc

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Webbs Mill, Batsto Lake, and Pakim Pond. I'm sure others here could give better locations, but I've heard good frog choruses in these spots.

I love carpenter frog vocalizations, they're creepy but very cool!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
JJ, any of the Friendship bogs would be a prime area for enjoying the evening song. Walking the high roads that separate the bogs during the early evening makes for great opening as the frogs start their chorus. Their singing can be hypnotic at times.:)

Reactions: glowordz

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
The Pinelands short course , Sat 3/23/13 at BCCC is offering a presentation on the amphibians of the Pines . I highly recommend it . Good luck , enjoy .
Joe
PS Just be alert @ dusk / night for crossing amphibians .

Reactions: Sarra

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If the weather is cool on those evenings you may have a problem even hearing them. Most of my visits in early May have been a failure because the nights were cool.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
The Pinelands short course , Sat 3/23/13 at BCCC is offering a presentation on the amphibians of the Pines . I highly recommend it . Good luck , enjoy .
Joe
PS Just be alert @ dusk / night for crossing amphibians .

I'll be there!

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Paws Farm haha. They are on display there, bahahaha. Near Godfreys has been a good spot too...so I hear.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
My son has been bugging me for the past 2 years to take him into the pines to listen to pine barrens tree frogs and other frogs and toads. We wandered all along the Wading River last April (late in the month), but last spring was extremely dry and hot and we came home only spotting a few Fowler's toads.

We'll be back in the pines on April 20 & 27. Can anyone recommend any good spots where we can listen to the tree frogs?

Spring peepers and wood frogs should be out calling in a few weeks.

Your son might enjoy listening to these frog songs, recorded by forum member Bill Beck:
http://gloriarepp.com/resources/frogs/#frogsongs

Glo

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Thank you, glowordz. We own this useful CD. You should see the looks we get from guests when we put the iPhone on "random" and some carpenter frog vocalizations start playing through the stereo!

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Wood frogs are often the first ones to make an appearance because they are actually able to survive in the winter by FREEZING. They're amazing creatures.

Here is a video I shot at the Great Swamp NWR 364 days ago in the evening after work. Of course, the air temp that day was in the 70s unlike the chilly weather forecast for the rest of this week.
i'll try to get a recording tonight, but, I'm pretty sure thats what I heard. I was smiling ear to ear because it is my FAVORITE sound!

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
i'll try to get a recording tonight, but, I'm pretty sure thats what I heard. I was smiling ear to ear because it is my FAVORITE sound!
Happened to notice your orb weaver video too. :)

Attachments

• orb.jpg
    orb.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: Jersey Jeff

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I swear I heard frogs last night

You most likely did. Spring peepers are more common than wood frogs. Peepers sound like a high pitched chirp, while wood frogs sound more like a goose.

My son and I donned headlamps last night and went out to catch the vernal pool migration (first warm rains of spring). We stopped at several different spots and heard spring peeper choruses, and found two vernals with (together) upward of 30 mating pairs of wood frogs, spring peepers all over the place, and spotted sals in the vernals. Beautiful and amazing display of NJ's biodiversity!

Reactions: glowordz and Sarra

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I heard the frog songs today while taking an extended lunch. The traveling voices where coming from a warm sheltered wet area. I definitely heard peeps!

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Happened to notice your orb weaver video too. :)

The spiders usually spin webs on my back porch every August because the porch light attracts lots of yummy insects. My wife hates the big, scary spiders that live under my porch awning, but every night, I love watching the orb weavers build a new web. I figure that any critter who dines on mosquitoes can't be bad.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I heard my first Peeper this year 2-27 at Martha in the old raceway.one lone Peeper.Wood frogs can commonly be found in mud puddles a mile or more from a permanent water source,they will also be found in stump water.This is why they are called Wood frogs,they can be found far out in dry woods where no other frog will be,only toads.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
The spiders usually spin webs on my back porch every August because the porch light attracts lots of yummy insects. My wife hates the big, scary spiders that live under my porch awning, but every night, I love watching the orb weavers build a new web. I figure that any critter who dines on mosquitoes can't be bad.
Totally Agree!