Lost in Time: The Forked River Mountains (Correction)

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
Ben,

After review of your article about the Forked River Mountains "Lost in Time: The Forked River Mountains" http://www.njpinebarrens.com/Sections-article32-p1.phtml I felt it necessary to send you some corrections about "Sportsman's Club" AKA / Real Name = (Year Round Sportsman's Club). It was just last week I was invited out there for a dinner. It is a substantial compound with several buildings generators heat etc. The pictures you have and the place you were at was actually their next door neighbors property (the picture of the gate was correct though). The neighbor was a builder who for the most part just left a mess when he lived there in trailer a few years back. A couple of years before that an arsonist burned down the club but it was rebuilt immediately. There are 25+ members in the private club, very nice people but they definitely don't like trespassers after the arson.

They use the club regularly and the state police still have an open investigation on the arson..

I found your article very enjoyable, love the pines! Nice Web Site too... :wink:

Scott

ps. it's kind of funny the first thing i read after joing this bb was about that club. I sold a jeep to the son of one of the fpunding members and he invited me to one heck of a feast :) Small world.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, I eventually found out that I hadn't visited the real club, but the site "next door." We were very nervous about trespassing since the one time we tried to visit before we heard muzzle loaders firing. :)

The only reason why I called it "Sportsman's Club" is that's how it's marked on the topo map. Most of the time gun clubs are just marked as "Gun Club" so it was a little odd that this one was marked differently.

That's such a shame that someone would come in and burn down their club. I assume that the cement rubble near the entrance was from the old club? Who owns the land with the trailer on it now?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

When Ben and I were there I was hoping to see the Sportsman Club because I have a photo that I took in 1979 of a building in that area that I have been trying to find again. We realized later that we did not get to the proper building and I have been wanting to get back there.

Below is a link to a photo that I took in 1979 of the building in question. Can you look it over and tell me if it could possibly be the Sportsman Club? The bricks should give you a clue. At the time this photo was taken someone had ransacked it and it was in shambles. There was a piano and seats that made me think that building had something to do with religion.

I know it may have been replaced if there was a fire, but maybe they used the same brick structure. If you are uncertain would you be able to ask someone who is a member?

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/8_79.jpg

Guy

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
TeeGate said:
Scott,

When Ben and I were there I was hoping to see the Sportsman Club because I have a photo that I took in 1979 of a building in that area that I have been trying to find again. We realized later that we did not get to the proper building and I have been wanting to get back there.

Below is a link to a photo that I took in 1979 of the building in question. Can you look it over and tell me if it could possibly be the Sportsman Club? The bricks should give you a clue. At the time this photo was taken someone had ransacked it and it was in shambles. There was a piano and seats that made me think that building had something to do with religion.

I know it may have been replaced if there was a fire, but maybe they used the same brick structure. If you are uncertain would you be able to ask someone who is a member?

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/8_79.jpg

Guy

Guy,

From what I can tell thats not even close but I will definatley get an accurate answer. If it's not and I think it's not maybe they can say what that structure is. I assume after the holidays I'll get ahold of my friend from there. Here's a plus one of the founding members is still alive and he's a surveyor !.... (my friends uncle)

Ben,

I believe that rubble of concrete is on the neibors property and was trucked in construction debri.. perhaps though it's the remains of the "church" building guy refers to. We'll find out soon.

Scott