Lower Bank, Green Bank

Oct 25, 2006
Me and my friend decided to do some rainy day exploring on Sunday. Our main objective was the Amatol town site and the old racetrack. Arriving at the town site, which is a ruin paradise, we put our rain gear on and walked around for a while, unfortunately it was raining hard so i did not take any pics, i did not want to innundate my new camera.

We then went to the racetrack, walked around for about an hour, very interesting site, but again no pics due to the rain. In the very near future we intend to explore these areas extensively, and of course when it is not pouring out.

Instead of calling it a day, we decided to travel to Lower Bank, then Green Bank. Outside of the old Pacemaker Plant which now has a Cavileer sign on it, i took this first pic, one grave says Sooy on it, the other is Cavileer, the grave in the middle i could not read. The rain slowed down considerably.
IMG_0045_Medium_.jpg

I then took this close up of the Sooy tombstone.
IMG_0046_Medium_.jpg

We then proceeded past the plant down the road along the Mullica, taking this pic of the Johnson Cemetary. You can just make out the Chew name on the one stone.
IMG_0047_Medium_.jpg

Then right next to the fenced in cemetary, is this cemetary that is on someone's property, of course i took the pic from the road. This is not fenced in.
IMG_0048_Medium_1.jpg

We then got back in the car and went to Green Bank, taking this pic, notice the name Hattie on the gray small stone, is this the Hattie from Jersey Genesis ? This is in the Sooy plot.
IMG_0049_Medium_.jpg

We then got back in the car to go back to Lower Bank, turned off of rt.542 to old church road and photographed this.
IMG_0051_Medium_.jpg

The adjoining cemetary.
IMG_0052_Medium_.jpg

After this pic we got back in the car, i had one more stop to go to before we went home, i came up empty of what i wanted to find either though my gps said i was right on top of it, took this pic, does anyone know this bridge's name?
IMG_0053_Medium_.jpg

We only could look for what i wanted to find for about 30 minutes, the rain then came down heavily so we decided to go home, but of course on the way we stopped at my friend's house in Tabernacle for some cold refreshing Buds.:guinness:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It wasn't long ago when that gravesite was surrounded by asphalt and protected by a chain link fence. I wish I took a photo back then. I'm glad that the graves are now treated with a bit more dignity but there was something a bit more mysterious about them when the site had a more "forgotten" look.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Could anybody share any history of the Sooy's my great grandmom name is Irene Sooy and my great uncle Bud was a Sooy. Just curious if anyone has any links to info about them. I sadly don't know much about them.....I probably should.

Oct 25, 2006
Could anybody share any history of the Sooy's my great grandmom name is Irene Sooy and my great uncle Bud was a Sooy. Just curious if anyone has any links to info about them. I sadly don't know much about them.....I probably should.

http://home.adelphia.net/~budd/Sooy.html

Chris, i had this info stored in my hard drive for quite some time.

Notice the many familiar names, Sooy of course, Cavileer, Thompson.
The Thompson name, i am trying to remember where i heard it before.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jim and nice pictures by the way, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Chris

Chris

When you saw the name Sooy which is part of your ancestry, you wanted to find out info on the family, this site is about info to be shared, i do not consider that a hijack.

Maybe Ben or Guy can steer you to other places on info about the Sooy family tree.

Jim

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Jim
You should have wheeled in to the river Road Clam House while you were there.
I have been going there for 25 years and the new owner Gary, who took over after Horace Cavileer died, has really done a good job keeping it going.
He sells day boat scallops that are almost as big as hockey pucks and he has clams out the whazoo. Usually has crabs all summer.
There is a licensed clam dredger nearby on the Mullica (there aren't many) and they sometime have dredged crabs for sale in the dead of winter.
My wife and I clam all summer so I usually hit him in the winter months.

Oct 25, 2006
Jim
You should have wheeled in to the river Road Clam House while you were there.
I have been going there for 25 years and the new owner Gary, who took over after Horace Cavileer died, has really done a good job keeping it going.
He sells day boat scallops that are almost as big as hockey pucks and he has clams out the whazoo. Usually has crabs all summer.
There is a licensed clam dredger nearby on the Mullica (there aren't many) and they sometime have dredged crabs for sale in the dead of winter.
My wife and I clam all summer so I usually hit him in the winter months.

Scott

I did not even notice that place, i will be again in that area shortly, when it comes to seafood, raw clams, oysters, crabs, i will go out of my way to a place like that.

Question ?

The legal size for summer flounder in NJ is now 17", in Delaware it is 18", if your fishing in the bay on the Nj side, and then you decide to go over to the Slaughter Beach side of the bay, a DEL. game warden will fine you either though you have NJ registration for a 17" fluke i heard ?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott

I did not even notice that place, i will be again in that area shortly, when it comes to seafood, raw clams, oysters, crabs, i will go out of my way to a place like that.

Question ?

The legal size for summer flounder in NJ is now 17", in Delaware it is 18", if your fishing in the bay on the Nj side, and then you decide to go over to the Slaughter Beach side of the bay, a DEL. game warden will fine you either though you have NJ registration for a 17" fluke i heard ?

The River Road Clam House is on the river at the bend in River Road about 300 yards west (upstream) of the Pacemaker plant. It has a boat ramp on the water across from it.

As for the flounder question, yes you can be fined as soon as you cross the state boundary which is the delineated channel through the bay. I fish the Brown Shoal area a lot and always have to be aware of my position.
Not only is the length 18" in De., the limit is 4 per person in De., not 8 as in N.J.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I enjoy knocking around that whole area, good memories from my youth in some of the stops on the way to Tuckerton for fishing & crabbing. It has been sometime since I have used that clam house. It used to be a staple in parties we had years back. A clam run down to Cavileers with my Uncle was always a must. I always liked the crudeness of the operation. No fancy processes or machinery or displays, just good clams. Don't know if it has changed much.
That bend right there and the river section and such, I actually always liked it's look. I have actually driven down there in the evenings some time back and rolled the car down that ramp, sit on the hood and just watch & listen.
Back then there wasn't much to stop you from running right off t he road & down the ramp into the water. Although sounds odd, in the evening it was always a serene place to me.

G.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I enjoy knocking around that whole area, good memories from my youth in some of the stops on the way to Tuckerton for fishing & crabbing. It has been sometime since I have used that clam house. It used to be a staple in parties we had years back. A clam run down to Cavileers with my Uncle was always a must. I always liked the crudeness of the operation. No fancy processes or machinery or displays, just good clams. Don't know if it has changed much.
That bend right there and the river section and such, I actually always liked it's look. I have actually driven down there in the evenings some time back and rolled the car down that ramp, sit on the hood and just watch & listen.
Back then there wasn't much to stop you from running right off t he road & down the ramp into the water. Although sounds odd, in the evening it was always a serene place to me.

G.

The new owner hasn't changed a thing except that he offers a little more variety including shrimp, conch, mussels, scallops etc.
I still call it Cavileer's and its always a good run in the winter time to clam up and go home and have some homemade wine and clams. Old man Cavilleer always had a fire going in the back room.
Went there before Christmas two years ago and got dredged crabs. Cleaned them live at my house in the snow.
Their number is 609-965-1478.

Oct 25, 2006
The new owner hasn't changed a thing except that he offers a little more variety including shrimp, conch, mussels, scallops etc.
I still call it Cavileer's and its always a good run in the winter time to clam up and go home and have some homemade wine and clams. Old man Cavilleer always had a fire going in the back room.
Went there before Christmas two years ago and got dredged crabs. Cleaned them live at my house in the snow.

Scott

Thank you for the phone number.

I used to get a bushel of live crabs, at least 3 times during the summer in Port Norris at Bateman's, put them in my 105 qt. igloo, then go to the marina to buy ice to put on top of them for the drive home. This spot you told me about will definitely be saving me drive time.

Jim

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report and photos! I once spent quite a while browsing through the head stones at the lower bank cemetary. Lots of stories in there, many tragic, lots of them very old. I recall there are some sand stones toward the back. A very quiet lonley cemetary, the only one that comes to mine that is lonelier is the one by the cedar bridge tavern, or maybe the Clarks landing one.

Anyway, that lower bank/green bank area is beautiful. Very sleepy.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jeff. The Lower Bank, Green Bank area since the 70's has always been one of my favorite places to visit, very peaceful, serene, and there is a calming effect to that area.

In the near future i intend to revisit the Clark Graves, with pics of course, and like you stated where they are interred is real isolated and lonely locale.

If this darn northeaster will finally decide to leave, i intend to go back to Amatol, the townsite and the racetrack, hopefully before the weekend, those ballfields and dirt bike park will be too crowded for my likes. Pics will be definitely taken, those places are very fascinating.

Jim

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks Jeff. The Lower Bank, Green Bank area since the 70's has always been one of my favorite places to visit, very peaceful, serene, and there is a calming effect to that area.

In the near future i intend to revisit the Clark Graves, with pics of course, and like you stated where they are interred is real isolated and lonely locale.

If this darn northeaster will finally decide to leave, i intend to go back to Amatol, the townsite and the racetrack, hopefully before the weekend, those ballfields and dirt bike park will be too crowded for my likes. Pics will be definitely taken, those places are very fascinating.

Jim

No kidding, eh? A little early for this gloomy, gray, cool weather.

Oct 25, 2006
No kidding, eh? A little early for this gloomy, gray, cool weather.

Latest weather says partly cloudy in the morning Thursday, the pines are a calling, and i need to get this Noah feeling out of me.

So, barring any changes, tomorrow i will be heading to the Amatol Town site, the racetrack and to the Clark Landing Graves, with maybe if time permits a little sojourn to Bass River.

The last photo by the way was of Dan's Bridge.

Jim

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The new owner hasn't changed a thing except that he offers a little more variety including shrimp, conch, mussels, scallops etc. I still call it Cavileer's and its always a good run in the winter time to clam up and go home and have some homemade wine and clams. Old man Cavilleer always had a fire going in the back room.

Sorry to revive a thread so late, just getting to it. I took off Friday and took a cruise up to LBI. On the way I stopped at Cavileer's and yes, it is much like Scott said and as I remember it. My boat ramp is still a straight shot off the road. I drove onto it and the wife was none too pleased. Take that bend wrong & you're in for a dip. She loved the homes on the river road stretch though.I took a couple pics of the old Pacemaker plant tower. Will put up when I get around to it.
The LBI thing well, there was a point of interest. Besides a lighthouse climb, the kids love it, and a walk though the Barnegat Light Historical museum garden ( small but really cool ), we wanted to get in a little beach time. The weather was with us and the water up there is awesome, takes you right off your feet. I went to the 18th street beach and parked in a nice little Lutheran church parking lot but not before asking the permission of the pastor. A very pleasant John Pearce was happy to oblige his lot to myself and kids. I am guessing for most here the church and the man need no explanation.

G.

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to revive a thread so late, just getting to it. I took off Friday and took a cruise up to LBI. On the way I stopped at Cavileer's and yes, it is much like Scott said and as I remember it. My boat ramp is still a straight shot off the road. I drove onto it and the wife was none too pleased. Take that bend wrong & you're in for a dip. She loved the homes on the river road stretch though.I took a couple pics of the old Pacemaker plant tower. Will put up when I get around to it.
The LBI thing well, there was a point of interest. Besides a lighthouse climb, the kids love it, and a walk though the Barnegat Light Historical museum garden ( small but really cool ), we wanted to get in a little beach time. The weather was with us and the water up there is awesome, takes you right off your feet. I went to the 18th street beach and parked in a nice little Lutheran church parking lot but not before asking the permission of the pastor. A very pleasant John Pearce was happy to oblige his lot to myself and kids. I am guessing for most here the church and the man need no explanation.

G.

Looks like you had a great day George, everyone needs to take a day off once in a while from the daily grind.

Jim