Lower Forge-High Crossing Road

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Wow! I've never seen Mannis Duck pond that low! I wonder if that was only due to the drought or is there some sort of problem with the dam?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was thinking the same thing. It's been a while since I've been out To Mannis Duck Pond. I'd imagine it was simply that dry out. There were a lot of areas I saw out there that I haven't seen dry in almost a decade.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ
The part of the pond by the dam wasn't dry, just the upper part.
P1010350_Mannis Duck Pond.JPG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We hike that area a lot. There are 3 ways to get to Mannis Duck Pond. From the road to the south, the trail you took from the road that goes by LF camp ground, and a small footpath just to the north of the dam. The footpath takes you back to Mines Spung Road, a very nice hike.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75675208832092&lng=-74.65060729187013&z=15&type=nj1995&gpx=

I think the small road you took from the LF road to the pond was the one that was by the FFS to encircle a fire back in 2010. Great uplands north of LF camp ground and another nice hike to HF.
Ed

Last edited:

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ
The area is really lovely and really serene. I walked all of those access routes to the pond. The footpath to the north of the dam is really overgrown at one point (fine with me), and I must say I’m glad I treated my clothes with permethrin as recommended on this site, as I didn’t have a single tick or chigger bite afterward. I treated my bivy sack too. In the past, even 100% DEET on the skin has not kept the ticks and chiggers away. I don’t know why I haven’t been doing this for years—brilliant!

At one of the intersections of a couple of roads in the area, I had to laugh, and took a photo. If you look closely, you will see 3 wooden “no motor vehicle” signs and 5 wooden boards with printed signs tacked to the trees, plus two trees with painted slashes on them. Does anyone know what is so special about this particular spot to earn all this official attention?

Ed, if I saw anyone with a Great Dane out there, I’d certainly say hi! You don’t see them too often. Hope to run into you one day.

signage_WTF.JPG

Reactions: John

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I know that intersection and I think last spring it wasn't marked up like that. As for the red stripes, I don't know what they mean. I have seen yellow rings and dot going through the woods. They appear to be old.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
I'm really saddened by the attitude on here guys, especially in trying to convince other people not report illegal activity. These sites need to be reported. I was back there recently(beginning of September) and I didn't spot that site or I certainly would have reported it. If anyone wants to team up and go back there and clean it up I will be trying to set a date soon.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jason,

Now you see what happens when people don't trust the individual who this should be reported to. If they had respect for him and him for us this would have been reported. And this will be the way it is until that respect is there.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'm really saddened by the attitude on here guys, especially in trying to convince other people not report illegal activity. These sites need to be reported. I was back there recently(beginning of September) and I didn't spot that site or I certainly would have reported it. If anyone wants to team up and go back there and clean it up I will be trying to set a date soon.
I reported a party site in "my" part of Wharton about three years ago. It was dealt with swiftly by State Park Police. They set up a sting and it resulted in citations issued and the area was cleaned up by the perps.
Given the new mission of the Wharton Super, I wouldn't make the same phone call today for fear that the area would be closed in the future. Ironically, the area is within 50' of a road that would be closed if the MAP were enacted.
As Guy said, the trust is gone.

Reactions: Teegate

Maggie

Scout
Sep 16, 2015
Three Bridges, NJ

Jason, I respect these guys as long, long term Pines advocates.
It pains me too not to report this. But if the long term consequences are worse than the actual damage, then I have to take this into consideration. I would be interested in helping to clean up this site. How can we prevent this kind of egregious violation from happening in the first place without denying access to the rest of us? This site is not by any means new. It is obvious that it has been active for quite some time. Where are the official, paid caretakers of this land?

Reactions: smoke_jumper

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow! Great photos of a terrific area Maggie! It has been maybe two years since I have been back there. It encourages me to revisit again. Thanks,

Jeff